1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Why do people hate on jeans like rock & republics and sfam?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jok5tr, Apr 1, 2008.

1. jok5tr

jok5tr New Member

i'm new to the forum and just by a quick look through it, it seems like a lot of people are really against premium denim like rock & republic, sfam, and true religions. instead, they opt for brands like apc and nudies. why is that?

2. hi-val

hi-val Well-Known Member

As I see it, the reason is that the quality of the materials and workmanship isn't up. For what you're paying for them retail, you could be getting other jeans that have the good construction and styling. They don't make raw selvedge, which is the trend on the forum. They are really distinctively branded, which makes the reverse pretention of not wanting any logos hard. They're seen as "mall jeans". Some of the h8 is warranted, some is unwarranted.

Part of it is that a lot of people buy 7s because they're 7s, not because of actual clothing factors.

3. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

Generally speaking, SFAM, Rock & Republic, TR, etc. form their brand image around what is widely recognized as "looking like a douchebag." They both have more subtle offerings and while the quality is generally not up to par, they can be cut rather well. You just can't expect anything spectacular out of them.

4. alan

alan Well-Known Member

They have some ridiculous looking jeans but they also have ones that imo can look pretty good.

But i usually cant justify their price anyway. That also goes for a lot of raw jeans that are liked in the forum as well.

5. Mr. Potato

Mr. Potato Well-Known Member

They're ubiquitous mall brands with prices mostly fueled by their brand name. Nudie is beginning to get some hate due to their raising popularity. It won't be long till they are synonymous with looking like a douchebag. This forum tends to not favour looking like every other normal civilians.

6. markb

markb Well-Known Member

Some people hate jeans because many jeans are like cheap hotels - no ball room.

7. Studio27

Studio27 Well-Known Member

Some people hate jeans because many jeans are like cheap hotels - no ball room.
    there are a lot of jeans without ball room that get love -- pbj's come to mind. it's the ubiquity, terrible distressing (generally), and the associations with the people who wear them (them being mall brands) that merits the hate. The milder options (dark wash, little-to-no artificial wear) don't get as much hostility, but there's generally a better option for the money.

8. ok1234

ok1234 Well-Known Member

because they are played out and gaudy

9. onion

onion Well-Known Member

I hate them because there is absolutely nothing about the jeans to warrant the price tag they get, other than the "OMG DID YOU SEE MY TRUE RELIGION JEANS???"-factor.

I really dislike their artificial distressing. If you compare mall brands to distressing like 5ep or Earnest Sewn you can see a pretty big quality difference. Also the huge branding all over the jeans is an instant deal breaker to me. The R&R back pocket stitching is a joke.

I wonder how sales would be if TR or R&R released a pair of denim that was exactly the same as one of their top selling pairs, but with no branding. I bet it would bomb.

Nudie is beginning to get some hate due to their raising popularity.

I've always disliked Nudie, but for good reason. They have way more blowouts than any other brand, imo they are overpriced (not by a ton though), and I think their back pocket stitching is pretty ugly, one of the worst of raw denim brands. The neon orange thread they use also doesn't help at all.

10. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Well-Known Member

They're ubiquitous mall brands with prices mostly fueled by their brand name. Nudie is beginning to get some hate due to their raising popularity. It won't be long till they are synonymous with looking like a douchebag. This forum tends to not favour looking like every other normal civilians.

Instead they all favour looking like everyone else on StyleForum.

[​IMG]

11. gooberdude

gooberdude Member

For me, the distaste is less about the jeans and more about horseshoe shaped stitching on guy's asses.

12. datasupa

datasupa Well-Known Member

i'm new to the forum and just by a quick look through it, it seems like a lot of people are really against premium denim like rock & republic, sfam, and true religions. instead, they opt for brands like apc and nudies. why is that?

what do you mean by 'premium'

13. onion

onion Well-Known Member

I was thinking the exact same thing when I read that.

14. SoCal2NYC

True Religon, Seven for All Mankind, Citizens of Humanity, Rock & Republic are classified as premium denim brands.

15. spazzz

spazzz Member

cuz they don't cost enough money

16. playdohh22

playdohh22 Well-Known Member

Try honestforum.com

17. BrettChaotix

BrettChaotix Well-Known Member

I could be totally wrong on this but I thought "premium" brands were the ones that focused on high quality but the name wasn't exactly the selling point: Sugar Cane, 5EP, R&B, Samurai, etc... While "Designer" brands would be the big name guys like Diesel, Dior Homme, R&R, TR, etc... with varying levels of quality.... I guess in some cases like Dior Homme you might have a combo of both. Is this right?

18. SoCal2NYC

To the industry and retailers Premium Denim is 7FAM, RR, TR, etc.

I'm not sure what they are calling Sugar Cane and all of that stuff. Perhaps it has shifted and now those things are premium, 7FAM is designer and DH is luxury.

Dior Homme, Gucci, Louis Vuitton etc would be designer.

19. keykoo

keykoo Well-Known Member

premium denim is anything that costs more than 20 dollar Levi's.

~fini~

20. Clench Million

Clench Million Well-Known Member

Because they look shitty, they fit shitty, their quality is shitty and their price is outrageous.

You can buy crappy looking denim of poor quality for 30 bucks at your local suburban mall, you don't need to pay True Religion 300 to make you look stupid.