1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Why do people buy J.Crew?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Jay Gatsby, Sep 11, 2010.

1. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Well-Known Member

I spot checked a few prices:
    $150 sweaters
    $25 T-shirts
    $60 chinos
    $300 boots
    $60 Oxfords

I'm not speaking to quality (or to sales), but you probably should be pulling down $80k minimum to play in this price range.
    (I'd say $125k if you live in a city)
    Unless, of course, you're a $30,000 millionaire, or a Prole riddled with credit card debt.

In my affluent college, most people wore $30 sweaters/shirts, $50 shoes, $10 T's, and $30 chinos.
    So, the markup from "basic apparel" is about 100-500%.

Maybe I'm out of touch.
    I didn't spend big on clothing until I had serious assets and job seniority/security.
    And, that comes long after college age.
    Then again, the JCrew sales demographics overwhelmingly back that up.

I think this more speaks to the silliness of paying full retail price for mall brands

J Crew Sweaters sell for $30-$50 on ebay (new)

2. intent

intent Well-Known Member

I'm finding less and less to buy from them. Basic tee shirts, polos, etc. on deep sale. The occasional sweater.

Also, Club Monaco sucks. I went to the NYC Soho store, and the fabrics felt cheap, the construction was shoddy, and the offerings were boring. Seemed like a more expensive Banana Republic to me.

3. RecoveringChef

RecoveringChef Well-Known Member

I might be late to this argument, and even later to the existence of this brand, but I recently discovered Lands' End Canvas. It appears to be a spinoff of Lands' End whose goods look much like J Crew, but are considerably more affordable.

http://canvas.landsend.com/canvas/index.html