1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Why do people buy J.Crew?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Jay Gatsby, Sep 11, 2010.

1. chasingred

chasingred Well-Known Member

It's not terrible stuff, but it's somewhat overpriced for what it is. It's not for poor folks at all. You can get much better stuff at their price points, especially sweaters. Decent label in some ways, better than any other mall brand, but pretty crappy price point given what it is.

Incidentally, their overly thin lapels and short jackets are really ridiculous looking. I can wait for that trend to go away.

2. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Well-Known Member

because we always get it on sale

3. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Well-Known Member

Rather have J. Crew over Banana Republic any day.

4. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

The same person would assume a $265 sportcoat to be fused.

Also, J Crew isn't always cheap. Their Breton shirt, for instance, is $85, when the Breton Shirt Company only wants thirty pounds for their superb product.

Seriously. What did you expect? Garbage is cheap. In fact, I have a bag of garbage downstairs in my kitchen that I'll give you for free, you don't even have to pay me for it.

5. ZON_JR

ZON_JR Well-Known Member

A person with nominal intelligence would assume from the post that I'd bought it from a catalog or online.

A person with even less than nominal intelligence could assume from life experience that cheap clothes bought from a catalog or on-line are not the best clothes being made.

1 person likes this.
  6. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

A person with even less than nominal intelligence could assume from life experience that cheap clothes bought from a catalog or on-line are not the best clothes being made.

bingo!

1 person likes this.
  7. enigma77

enigma77 Well-Known Member

This

8. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

That being said, they do serve their purpose..Everyone isn't of the baller status! Just don't expect canvassed suits/jackets for $200!

9. Pezzaturra

Pezzaturra Well-Known Member

It's the gateway for Ralph Lauren.
    Perhaps it is very true. They (J.Crew) are starting to sell merchandise made by Alden, Crockett and Belstaff in their stores, hoping that the presence of quality merch will somehow rub-off onto the rest of their Chinese garbage. There is one more step left for J.Crew to take as a company it is to remove the other companie's tags and put their own instead and they would become the Second Greatest Fashion Designer of Amurika after the mighty Ralph Lipschitz. P.S. I had a misfortune to buy one of their Merino sweaters and it is ready for a trash bag after one season. I wore it may be 3 times and it is stretched horribly around cuffs and fuzzy all over. Garbage in garbage out.

10. jabreal00

jabreal00 Well-Known Member

J-Crew is decent. I got a pair of slim fitting cords. I love the fit. At $75 I don't think po' folks or even college students would pay for that price point. However, it's not >$150, so one can buy on a whim. It seems to be of pretty good quality. I'd never get a suit from them though.

11. amplifiedheat

amplifiedheat Well-Known Member

The sleeves were two inches too long.

This is also silly. Unless the Ludlow comes with un-advertised surgeon's cuffs, this is a sub-$20 alteration.

12. cimabue

cimabue Well-Known Member

J Crew acquired its niche selling good chinos and whimsical undies. Banana Republic started with durable safari-type gear in modest little catalogs. Fun! Both used to pride themselves on their American-made classics. One has largely stayed the course and the other has gone far afield.

13. w.o.e.is.me.

w.o.e.is.me. Well-Known Member

I like their casual shirts.
    For the price (we aren't all ballers) I haven't seen much out there that competes.
    But no, I would not get suiting from there.

14. Thrifter

Thrifter Well-Known Member

Because I can get an entry level wardrobe of clothes that fit well and look decent, and then upgrade when I reach baller status.

15. BeaconHillBoston

BeaconHillBoston Well-Known Member

I hate to break it to you, but young people are not shopping for Kiton shirts and spending 400.00 on japanese denim.

J Crew looks good and the price is right.

What are people who don't spend 2 grand on an outfit supposed to wear? People that have style, but dont spend as much time as we do on fashion.

16. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

I hate to break it to you, but young people are not shopping for Kiton shirts and spending 400.00 on japanese denim. J Crew looks good and the price is right. What are people who don't spend 2 grand on an outfit supposed to wear? People that have style, but dont spend as much time as we do on fashion.
    A lot of them are, maybe not Kiton shirts but the only people I've seen in Japanese denim have been in their 20's. One of my friends, 23, owns a rotation of RLPL dress shirts that he bought as a client of mine, not Kiton but still top tier. Jcrew is good for certain things, I like their chinos.

17. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Well-Known Member

I wouldn't buy suits or dress shirts from them, but their casual stuff is very nice and consistently getting better. I'm a fan of the store.

18. mdg137

mdg137 Well-Known Member

I wipe my ass with bolts of cloth from Rubinacci.

It takes a bolt of cloth to wipe your ass? What are you eating?

19. BeaconHillBoston

BeaconHillBoston Well-Known Member

A lot of them are, maybe not Kiton shirts but the only people I've seen in Japanese denim have been in their 20's. One of my friends, 23, owns a rotation of RLPL dress shirts that he bought as a client of mine, not Kiton but still top tier.

Jcrew is good for certain things, I like their chinos.

That might be true, but I don't think the majority of college students are spending 400.00 a pop on jeans, and buying 200.00 button downs. You can always find exceptions to the rule.

Not saying your're wrong...just basing my opinion on what I see the kids wearing here in Boston. I live next to Suffolk (which is a 35k a year school), nestled in one of the most expensive areas of Boston. These kids have some cash and I see J Crew all the time.

20. w.o.e.is.me.

w.o.e.is.me. Well-Known Member

right. i don't think a near majority of college-age guys are dropping Kiton loot. that must be a *very* small subset of the population.