1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Why are overcoats such a neglected piece apparel.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by FreeRadical, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Nicola

Nicola Well-Known Member

I find overcoats a pain in the arse to deal with.

You need to show them who is boss. A good beating shouldn't be skimped on.

I can't imagine one or two coats. What happens if you need to take it to the cleaner in the middle of the winter? [​IMG]

Of course I've got something like five or six coats at the moment and only about four weeks a year cold enough to wear them [​IMG]

2. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

You need to show them who is boss. A good beating shouldn't be skimped on.

I can't imagine one or two coats. What happens if you need to take it to the cleaner in the middle of the winter? [​IMG]

Of course I've got something like five or six coats at the moment and only about four weeks a year cold enough to wear them [​IMG]

I have 2 coats and 3 overcoats...

It is more than sufficient.

A black and chocolate cashmere coats and 3 charcoal,black and navy overcoats.

3. OttoSkadelig

OttoSkadelig Well-Known Member

i find overcoats a bit of an anachronism. 21st-century city-dwellers spend most of our time indoors. the moments when we're out are typically not long enough to require seriously heavy protection. (i do realize that if you are in places that get REALLY cold, even 10m outside can be painful and an overcoat can help. but for the average european / american city that isn't far north, i'm not sure that level of protection is required, even for a lengthy stroll.)

overcoats also get dirty. and in my case i tend to forget my coats and lose them. a nasty habit.

i also find them too heavy and annoying, unless they are made of a very light, cashmere-like material. and i never wear an overcoat when i'm out of a professional situation, as my legs never get cold. i really only wear an overcoat because a short coat on a suit can look goofy.

in general, i am happy to pass up the fleeting moments of sartorial gravitas that an overcoat confers as they are more trouble that they're worth. i own 4 and that's two too many -- for me, anyway.