1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Why are overcoats such a neglected piece apparel.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by FreeRadical, Jul 19, 2010.

1. bowtielover

bowtielover Well-Known Member

I didn't know they were, I have a few one black one charcoal adn one in a dark tan. I think you don't hear much about them because there are only so many styles and colors available that there isn't much to say.

2. Infrasonic

Infrasonic Well-Known Member

The pic is more of a topcoat...not an overcoat...and it stylistically, looks very modern...not something classic

Yeah, it's actually a frock coat from this site...

http://www.dejureformals.com/dover_loncoat.htm

Although as I'm sure Sator would like to point out, nothing modern about a frock coat...[​IMG]

3. aportnoy

aportnoy Well-Known Member

I am getting a bespoke overcoat. First one ever for me. Had one fitting, will be having another in a couple of months.

Got my first (and only) bespoke overcoat last fall. It was a classic polo coat made up in Harrison's pure camel hair. I would absolutely order another.

4. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Why are we talking about overcoats in the middle of July?
    Aren't the "designers'" -- what shall we call them -- "Winter Collections" ... being introduced about now?

5. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

Aren't the "designers'" -- what shall we call them -- "Winter Collections" ... being introduced about now?

Not just yet.

6. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

Not just yet.

They're most likely already working at next year spring collection...

Fashion can be seasonal not style and legance...

7. scooby-doo

scooby-doo Well-Known Member

Actually, I just bought this one at B&S. [​IMG]

NWOT Isaia Aquacashmere Overcoat 36/38R (tagged eu50)

I purchased this overcoat last fall, but due to the extraordinarily harsh, past winter season in the Mid-Atlantic I could make no use of it. The overcoat is more appropriate for the cool, rainy weather of fall and spring. Aquacashmere is reportedly an Isaia-exclusive cashmere fabric with a finishing chemical applied to it that sheds water droplets. I am doubtful whether it could withstand a monsoon, but I believe it offers protection against light rain, if you happen to be caught out in inclement weather. Original retail was around $2800. This garment is in new condition but since I removed the tags, I am offering it for Sold ($575 shipped in CONUS), which is below my original cost.

Style

Fully canvassed
    No shoulder pads whatsoever (as weightless as the mythical Borrelli overcoats)
    Gorgeous 3-roll-2 lapel roll
    Swelled pick stitching
    Hand-sewn buttonholes
    Single rear vent
    Unfinished cuffs
    Fully lined

Material
    Shell - 100% Aquacashmere
    Lining - 100% Bemberg Cupro

Measurements

Shoulders - 18"
    Chest - 21" (42" in circumference)
    Waist - 20" (40" in circumference)
    Length (BOC) - 39"
    Sleeve - 26" (approximately 2" additional fabric to let out)

Pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Mine is a very simply dark blue DB, no gimmicks. I also have a length of camel for a polo coat but I don't know when that will get made.

9. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

I also think overcoats are generally neglected around here. I don't understand the idea of having fifteen suits and 1 overcoat. I probably have 10 coats and I really enjoy wearing all of them in the winter.

10. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I also think overcoats are generally neglected around here. I don't understand the idea of having fifteen suits and 1 overcoat. I probably have 10 coats and I really enjoy wearing all of them in the winter.

I've had only two forever. Once I get the polo done I doubt I will ever get another. Two seems like plenty.

11. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

I've had only two forever. Once I get the polo done I doubt I will ever get another. Two seems like plenty.

See - I don't get that. Horses for courses I guess.

12. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

I think that in the U.S., outside of New York, Boston, D.C. and maybe Chicago people neglect quality overcoats, raincoats, and topcoats because they are not quite as functional if you are either sitting in a climate controlled auto or climate controlled office.

Outside of those dense metropolises mentioned above, folks just don't spend as much time outside in the elements walking places. We don't use public transportation or commonly walk a few city blocks to get to our office from the train station or apartment or townhouse. The majority of Americans walk from the house straight into a climate controlled garage, drive to the office parking lot, and walk 100' into the building minimizing any time outside exposed to the elements.

13. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I guess it's two things. First is the opportunity cost. I would just rather have more suits. Second, I think those two styles and colors cover every contingency.

14. Infrasonic

Yeah I have five and have to resist the urge to get many more.
    Throw in the seasonal (heat) aspect and that it rains all year round here in Mcr and five isn't actually a lot...

15. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

I guess it's two things. First is the opportunity cost. I would just rather have more suits. Second, I think those two styles and colors cover every contingency.

It's the utilitarian argument that I don't get. I do understand the opportunity cost but I guess it applies to everything - so I imagine it's the latter part of your post that really drives you to position coats at the low end of your priority list.

I would understand Foo adopting a one coat philosophy but if someone enjoys wearing a variety of shirts, shoes, suits, ties, etc... why not want a variety of coats too? A navy sb here, a grey herringbone double breasted there, a camel color one for more earthy tone outfits, a dark brown one, a tweed one, maybe even a cord one for weekends, a dark charcoal or black one for evening wear on cold nights, a couple of lighter cloth ones for spring/fall, etc.....

It may have to do with growing up in Paris, where it's unusual for men to walk around in a suit when the weather gets cold. For some bizare reason, people here think that wearing a scarf and an overcoat is "metro" or something, whereas it's the absolute norm where I'm from.

16. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I guess I have a limited imagination. I don't know what I would do with a different coat. A brown OC can look great but the polo can cover that contingency. I have been very happy with one dark and one light coat for a long time. I am now simply upgrading the coats but the wardrobe will remain the same.

17. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

I'm with you on this one ... I have camel, fawn, grey, loden, grey herringbone, brown herringbone, a couple of bold windowpanes, and more. A favorite is an extra long overcoat made up in a silk herringbone of tan & buff.

18. George

George Well-Known Member

I find overcoats a pain in the arse to deal with.

19. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

I find overcoats a pain in the arse to deal with.
    Well, I do regularly lose them -- probably one a year -- leaving them behind (with a pair of prescription glasses in the pocket). That is a pain in the flip side.

20. Infrasonic

Crombies are nice...

Classic,elegant and affordable..

The decent ones never seem to go on sale though (not in my local Crombie store anyway).