1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Why are Dress Pants so DAMN expensive?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Bexcellence, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Bexcellence

Bexcellence Well-Known Member

I've got an internship coming up and the attire will be business casual. I've got my dress shirts, but I'm struggling to find good, slim dress pants that are cheaper than $150. Should I just suck it up and pay the price?

2. Pieceofsand

Pieceofsand Well-Known Member

plenty of okay dress pants under $150, I don't know what you're talking about.

3. Liquidus

Liquidus Well-Known Member

Yes, just get Howard Yount.

4. RogerC

RogerC Well-Known Member

Brooks Brothers gabardine, buy 2 and get the discount.

5. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

Seems like your "business casual" is actually rather formal, i.e. dress shirts and dress pants.

6. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

Sounds odd - are you looking at enough shops?

7. Bexcellence

Bexcellence Well-Known Member

yes.
    and isnt BB really baggy?

8. rohde88

rohde88 Well-Known Member

cheaper per wear than shirts, IMO

9. bigtimebuck4

bigtimebuck4 Well-Known Member

What is the price line you are looking at? I own pants at all price points: $200+ Corneliani, $150+ Ballin, $100 Brooks Brothers, <$100 Perry Ellis, Kenneth Cole and I think my Perry Ellis' fit about as nice as any of them. You may also want to look at Brooks Brothers University cut, starts ~$100 but can be caught on sale for as low as $50.

10. Off My Rack

Off My Rack Well-Known Member

Multiple fit options at BB. For a slimmer cut, look for the Fitzgerald and Milano options (for me, these function as dressy jeggings)

11. StylinGuy

StylinGuy Well-Known Member

check out BR stuff, especially when it's on sale. they arent as good as BB stuff obviously, but at the same time you arent selling one of your kidneys to get them. i bought one the other day for 49 bucks on sale.

12. bigtimebuck4

bigtimebuck4 Well-Known Member

BB University cut pants are slim, at least that is what I was told. They were too slim for me and I, while not a professional athlete, am by no means obese (5'9 180 lbs 34")

1 person likes this.
  13. whochrisliu

whochrisliu Well-Known Member

Pants are the things that I neglect in my wardrobe. My waist size fluxuates up and down quite often. 2011-2012 for instance I went from a 32 to a 38. From now to 2014 I plan to go down to 36...34...finally back to 32. Then I will fall off the wheel again and go up up up. So right now I am only wearing size 34 pants by Hagger. They are the only pants I can find with some good elastic waistbands. Anyways pants are just one thing I never really spent money on, just not worth it to me.

14. tobiasj

tobiasj Well-Known Member

A few years ago I would've thought that paying $180 for Howard Yount trou was ridiculous. Now I have two pair and want a closet full. As above, the CPW is still very low, so I don't feel like they're something to skimp on.

15. whochrisliu

whochrisliu Well-Known Member

Pants are the things that I neglect in my wardrobe. My waist size fluxuates up and down quite often. 2011-2012 for instance I went from a 32 to a 38. From now to 2014 I plan to go down to 36...34...finally back to 32. Then I will fall off the wheel again and go up up up. So right now I am only wearing size 34 pants by Hagger. They are the only pants I can find with some good elastic waistbands. Anyways pants are just one thing I never really spent money on, just not worth it to me.

16. Ayrton

Ayrton Well-Known Member

Costco Italian wool slacks

or your local JAB

17. matt1

matt1 Well-Known Member

I'm sure there are business casual dress pants for less than $150 where you're located.

18. jamesny

jamesny Well-Known Member

Dress pants (as well as suits for that matter) can be expensive depending on fabric, and other materials.

19. Kiwi Man

Kiwi Man Well-Known Member

There are many slim pants which are sold here at this forum for under USD150. If you know your size and your brand, you should be able to purchase them for the great deal!