1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Who pays retail ???

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by seanandnik, Jan 6, 2005.

1. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

I don't know if retail is the right term for how I shop, but I have yet to buy any clothes that I wear as an adult used or on ebay (I grew up wearing thrift shop stuff, but that is another issue). the first good pair of shoes I bought I bought on sale, and frankly they didn't fit me exactly right, but they were 70% off. I won't do that again, ever. I could see, possibly, wearing cufflinks or braces from ebay, aside from that I am not there yet. And I have no intention of spending time going through a pile of clothes in a "basement". I don't have a lot of money, not at all, just I have less of a need of more clothes than I do of time. I would prefer to have a small number of clothes that are exactly what I want, and not to have to spend more than a few hours a year shopping, than have a huge wardrobe of unusual stuff that I got during hundreds of hours of searching.

2. Tom

Tom Well-Known Member

My brother is a trader for Bear Sterns in Boston. He pays full retail at Louis of Boston, and The Andover Shoppe. He spends several months a year in Paris and has a couple of places there that are the equivalent of the above mentioned. He likes to be taken care of, and he doesn't mind paying for it.

-Tom

3. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Well-Known Member

A couple of stories from a trusted salesman who used to work at Bergdorf's.

"Big" customer (i.e., both big spender and hefty) comes in from Chicago and orders several pairs of Kiton pants, custom, at about $10,000 each. He rejects one or two.

Another rich guy buys about 7 Kiton suits, custom, approx. $15,000 each. When they arrive, the wife doesn't like the color of one or two, and she rejects those out of hand.

In each case both Bergdorf and Kiton ate the losses.

4. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

And those rejected Kiton trousers and suits became discounted items for some lucky soul.

5. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

Damnit. What did I tell you people about taking your spouses along when clothes shopping? Will men never learn? [​IMG] Jon.

6. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

Somewhat OT, but my roommate who works at borders told me that some guy came in with his daughter and spent $2500 on CDs from Borders. CDs alone, and nothing else. Apparently, his daughter and he had good taste in music (they bought Devendra Banhart, Xiu Xiu, other cool stuff). When my roommate asked why he was buying so many CDs, he said, "We don't get out of the house often." He paid with the AmEx black, and my roommate got down his name. Apparently, he's the CEO of Petco, which makes sense because we just had Petco Park built here in SD.

The point is that people out there don't have a problem dropping a couple g's when they have a couple million being dropped on them.

7. imageWIS

Like a Centurion card means much. My dad got one originally to make large purchases for his company, and kept it after he semi-retired.

A) Yes the annual fee is $2500, but you can get that reduced to $0 if you have enough money parked with AmEx elsewhere.

B) It is only worth it if you travel a lot and use the free first class upgrades offered with the card on British Airways / the free hotel upgrades / spend a lot at Saks and use the AmEx points at Saks (although you can also use the Platinum AmEx and save a bundle if you pay the annual fee).

Jon.

8. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

My point was that he casually spent $2,500 on CDs, not that he has the AmEx Centurion.

9. imageWIS

And my point was that if they seldom travel, i.e. leave the house why do you need a black AmEx?

Jon.