1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Who makes the best dress shirts?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kcgreg, May 1, 2006.

1. kcgreg

kcgreg Well-Known Member

Who makes the best ready to wear dress shirts in the industry?[​IMG] Just curious! Thanks in advance for the input.

2. coachvu

coachvu Well-Known Member

If you also consider price, I think Ike Behar shirts are great. I don't own one, but I've heard great things about Talbott shirts, as well.

3. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

Charvet, maybe? I know that Alex Kabbaz, who knows infinitely more about such matters than I do, rates them highly. However, both Charvet and Kabbaz are out of the price range of a po' boy like me!

4. Soph

Soph Well-Known Member

I am very fond of Barba Gold Label for RTW in the sub 200 range on sale.

5. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Well-Known Member

If you also consider price, I think Ike Behar shirts are great.

Respectfully, I disagree. Nice fabric, generally, but horrible fit--very tent like on me, and I'm no string bean.

6. demeis

demeis Well-Known Member

I really love my finamore shirt. But best is relative. I guy with a huge belly will hate Finamore but love something more generous like oxxford (?).

I really like Talbotts new Estate instock shirts at around $235.

7. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Well-Known Member

so far, Barba, to me is the best dress shirt maker.

8. Soph

Soph Well-Known Member

so far, Barba, to me is the best dress shirt maker.

I would definitly say my Barba Gold Label exceed my Borrelli which exceed my finamore.
    However, I do like alot of the finamore patterns. And they are all very suitable. I do like my Luciano Barbera also, lots of interesting shoulder styles.

9. whoopee

whoopee Well-Known Member

People seem to like Anna Matuozzo.

10. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

The best RTW dress shirt is the one which fits you the best. Fabric, stitching, buttons, etc, matters for pretty much nothing if the shirt makes you look like a schmo. Also, I think that once you get above $200 for a dress shirt, it seems silly to go RTW.

11. Soph

Soph Well-Known Member

The best RTW dress shirt is the one which fits you the best. Fabric, stitching, buttons, etc, matters for pretty much nothing if the shirt makes you look like a schmo. Also, I think that once you get above $200 for a dress shirt, it seems silly to go RTW.

True to an extent, however the materials are the basis for all looks. You can have a perfect fitting HugoBoss materials/constructed and achieved nothing. Materials, construction, fit and style are all equally important.

12. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Well-Known Member

13. Tomasso

Tomasso Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

14. VMan

VMan Well-Known Member

If you're generally speaking in terms of RTW only, I think the general consensus is that Borrelli and Kiton shirts are the best.

If you take cost into consideration, I think that Carlo Franco shirts are seen as an excellent value. Also, it's pretty easy to find Borrelli shirts brand new on ebay or on the Virtual Clothes Horse site for about $110-160. Quite a savings from the $400-525 retail price.

Charvet shirts are also held in high regard, as is Barba, Finamore, etc. Though I have no personal experience with those brands.

Of course, you have to remember that fit should trump quality (assuming you can't have both), as a top of the line shirt (Kiton) that fits poorly will never look as good as a lower priced/quality (Hickey Freeman - not saying they are bad, just lower on the scale than Kiton) if it doesn't fit you well.

Also, know what details you like, and what you don't like.

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Hilditch & Key yet for quality shirts. At full price, they aren't that bad, and can be had on sale quite regularly.

15. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Well-Known Member

My stupid limited opinion, for what it's worth re: RTW shirts--(it's obviously heavily weighted towards a certain city in a certain country)

1. Anna Matuozzo
    2. Attolini
    2. Borrelli (from the boutique)
    3. Kiton
    4. Barba
    5. Battistoni
    6. T&A
    7. H&K
    8. Maffeis
    9. Lorenzini

The only MTM shirt I've tried is Kiton, and of course while extremely pricey, it's an excellent shirt. Fray and Finnamore are also wonderful, but I haven't had enough experience with either to comment fully.

koji

16. SGladwell

SGladwell Well-Known Member

If you're generally speaking in terms of RTW only, I think the general consensus is that Borrelli and Kiton shirts are the best.

Never tried a Kiton, but Borrelli's have never been good to me. Their stitching comes loose very easily. I've never even so much as had to resew a button on any of my Lorenzinis, and I've been wearing the brand for over 8 years.

17. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Well-Known Member

Never tried a Kiton, but Borrelli's have never been good to me. Their stitching comes loose very easily. I've never even so much as had to resew a button on any of my Lorenzinis, and I've been wearing the brand for over 8 years.

My experience has been the polar opposite; strange.

koji

18. Soph

Soph Well-Known Member

My experience has been the polar opposite; strange.

koji

Me neither.

I bought a Canali once[​IMG] [​IMG] never again.

19. pkincy

pkincy Well-Known Member

The bad stitching on the Borrelli's may come from the counterfeit Borrelli's sold on Ebay. That is where I am having a problem. Nice shirt, nice fabric, horrible stitching. My real Borrellis's (with the crest) never lose a stitch.

Perry

20. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

Borrelli stitching seems to be very inconsistent. Recently, I had lunch with someone wearing a Borrelli shirt, and commented that his collar button seemed very well sewn, with a nice, secure-looking shank, while mine looked like an afterthought, and he agreed. Both shirts were relatively new, made recently, and came through Borrelli boutiques.

--Andre