1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Who makes the best belts?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dreamtripper, Apr 7, 2011.

1. dreamtripper

dreamtripper Well-Known Member

Who in your opinion makes the best belts? Based on research from past threads, I bought a few Martin Dingman belts. I thought they were nice, but nothing special.

I recently came across a belt maker coincidentally called the Belt Makers : http://www.thebeltmakers.com/index.html . The belts are a bit expensive, but look great. I was about to order a few different shades of brown till I read the notice that each belt could take up to 28 day to product and send out.

Do you have any alternate recommendations?

1 person likes this.
  2. JamesX

JamesX Well-Known Member

Not sure Belts even have enough difference to differentiate. Normally I just get the belt from the same place I got the shoes - preferably from the same leather so they match. Vox linked this site while ago, though I never used it myself. http://jrltd.com/belt_straps/

3. Twotone

Twotone Well-Known Member

4. KObalto

KObalto Well-Known Member

5. Klobber

Klobber Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Would be interested in this and finding out some quality brands that dont appeal to the bourgeois chinese alpha males. No Hermes or Louis Vuitton recommendations please [​IMG]

6. PookieBear

PookieBear Member

I used to research this issue myself. I then discovered that, for your staples of brown and black, I was better off buying cheap belts from filenes, etc. They may wear quicker, but then I just get a new one.

7. alliswell

alliswell Well-Known Member

Exact match on shoes and belt is usually a bad idea.
    Lengthy discussion on the merits of buying good belts:
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...evolving+belts

Matchy matchy is fun until you buy your second pair of brown shoes.

8. Liquidus

Liquidus Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Would be interested in this and finding out some quality brands that dont appeal to the bourgeois chinese alpha males. No Hermes or Louis Vuitton recommendations please [​IMG]
    In the old thread that Kobalto linked, Charlie from Equus Leather made a post that made me interested in their belts.

9. jackdaw

jackdaw Well-Known Member

I think Mezlan belts are good value and fairly well made. They have lots of ugly casual belts, but also some rather good ones. Prices drop to $65-80 after the first season or two of a design release. In the first season prices are around $100, made in Spain, their web site is messy and slow, also discounted at ShoeBuy.

http://www.mezlanshoes.com/store/cat...ARTMENT_ID=113

10. Navi

Navi Well-Known Member

I think Mezlan belts are good value and fairly well made. They have lots of ugly casual belts, but some rather good ones. Prices drop to $65-80 after the first season or two of a design release. In the first season prices are around $100, made in Spain, their web site is messy and slow, also discounted at ShoeBuy.

people really spend 100 dollars on a belt??? wtf??

11. LatinStyleLover

LatinStyleLover Well-Known Member

Erreghe, which was purchased by Brioni, makes some incredible belts. They are my favorite.

12. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Well-Known Member

Both of those labels offer plain leather belts comparable to anything else you can come up with.
    people really spend 100 dollars on a belt??? wtf??
    People really spend 100 dollars on a tie? People really spend 100 dollars on a pocket square? People really spend 100 dollars on cufflinks? People really spend 100 dollars on a dress shirt? People really spend 100 dollars on a pair of pants? [​IMG]

13. somatoform

somatoform Well-Known Member

Who in your opinion makes the best belts? Based on research from past threads, I bought a few Martin Dingman belts. I thought they were nice, but nothing special.

I recently came across a belt maker coincidentally called the Belt Makers : http://www.thebeltmakers.com/index.html . The belts are a bit expensive, but look great. I was about to order a few different shades of brown till I read the notice that each belt could take up to 28 day to product and send out.

Do you have any alternate recommendations?

I'm not sure Sedgewick makes different grades of English bridle leather. If not then Equus belts gives you the same Sedgewick leather at a fraction of the cost of a TBM belt.

Also, PSG posted a pic of his very nice Foster belt:

http://www.wsfoster.com/shop/Small+L...k7roglafn5ha93

14. westinghouse

westinghouse Well-Known Member

I like Ralph Lauren and RRL vintage belts.

15. hatguy

hatguy Well-Known Member

Mark Kielty as above.
    April in Paris.

1 person likes this.
  16. stateless

stateless Well-Known Member

17. davesmith

davesmith Well-Known Member

http://mkielty.com/index.html

i am going to email him about the cufflinks, they look amazing.

thanks for the link.

18. Klobber

Klobber Well-Known Member

Both of those labels offer plain leather belts comparable to anything else you can come up with.

That is true, no dispute with that. But at $500+ per belt, are they quadruple the quality of a good well made $150 belt? I bought a YSL belt for something like $300, and that was comparable in quality to a Hermes belt I used to own. And it was much much cheaper as well.

19. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

http://x-stream.fortunecity.com/strato/160/ i heard good things about Terry Dear, but i'd use him for a casual belt. For a dressy belt i'd got with something fancy! I completely disagree with SF and believe that a man needs to always own a sleek pair of shoes with a belt to match (not necessarily exact match). I grew up always seeing that a well dressed guy has a nice belt, nice watch and nice shoes. If you can find a sleek belt for $100, then good job, it doenst have to be top designer but shouldnt be a cheap belt either. anywyas to each his own

20. Equus Leather

Equus Leather Well-Known Member

I'm not sure Sedgewick makes different grades of English bridle leather. If not then Equus belts gives you the same Sedgewick leather at a fraction of the cost of a TBM belt.

I'm not going to comment on other peoples pricing, but I can certainly say that Sedgwick dont make different grades of leather. In addition, our mutual buckle makers dont make different grades of buckles! ;-)

Charlie