1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Who makes slim fit polo shirts?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Dmax, Apr 4, 2006.

1. dub_c

dub_c Member

Gap actually has some very nice slim fit polo shirts:
    http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...r&kwid=1&ap=14

I usually wear a size 38 jacket. I often have to wear shirts in size small for it not to look like I'm wearing a parachute, but for this one, the medium actually looks really good.

They were selling them in the store for $13 each, so I picked up a bunch. I think they were clearing them out for some reason.

2. B Hamilton

B Hamilton Well-Known Member

Black Fleece if your serious about slim.

3. doctorbob

doctorbob Member

Thanks for the replies but I am specifically looking for polos that have that line on the collar.

Fred Perry

4. Rayson

Rayson Well-Known Member

Sunspel and John Smedley.

5. Loathing

Loathing Well-Known Member

Definitely Sunspel for slim fit, superior cotton, & shell buttons. [​IMG] Although their current collection doesn't appear to have any of those with a 'sports stripe' on the collar. Alfred Dunhill are also very nice, although they're often logo'ed, & very expensive.

6. J. Cogburn

J. Cogburn Well-Known Member

I personally wear RL Custom-Fit Polo's. They are slimmer than the RLPL Custom-Fit Polo's and cost A LOT less.

Jon.

Agreed. But the Blue Label mesh cotton polo feels much coarser against the skin than either the Black Label or Purple Label polos. I agree with you though - I like the Blue Label's cut better - but damn, the Black and Purple Label polos feel much nicer against the skin.

7. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Well-Known Member

The brand is mostly a no-no on this site, but I've found the Banana Republic pima polos to have a nice fit on me. I'm 155lbs and lanky and they still hug my guns.

8. NoNothingGuy

NoNothingGuy Well-Known Member

Not to argue, but I have found the Polo Custom Fit to be kind of weird. The shoulders and chest are fairly fitted, but they seem very wide at the base. They do not taper at all.

I MUCH prefer the fit of the RLPL, but obviously the price is not as nice.

9. J. Cogburn

J. Cogburn Well-Known Member

Not to argue, but I have found the Polo Custom Fit to be kind of weird. The shoulders and chest are fairly fitted, but they seem very wide at the base. They do not taper at all.

Haven't noticed that. Just tried one on (I'm working from home today) and don't see it. It's tight at the abs and I tuck mine in.

10. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Well-Known Member

11. Tano

Tano Well-Known Member

I have 4 RL slim fit polos. 2 Purple label and 2 Normal. Fit nice on the chest but they are way too large in the abdomen area and have tight sleeves.

I easily took out 4" from the waist and they are still too loose.

12. TonyThe Tailor

TonyThe Tailor Well-Known Member

13. Bananafish

Bananafish Well-Known Member

John Smedley's Milo short sleeved polos are my favorite and the only polo shirts I'll wear anymore.

14. phxlawstudent

phxlawstudent Well-Known Member

15. Laurens

Laurens Well-Known Member

I am going to say Lacoste; they have a great variety of fits besides the standard original fit.
    You also have Retro, Fitted and Ultra-slim.
    Retro is a close fit, a bit more sportswear look.
    Fitted is tailored and modern.
    Ultraslim is fitted, trendy and timeless.

If you want a different, somewhat stretchy fabric look for the Silver/Gray Crocodile those are the sort of "flagship" polo’s from the "Club" line.
    In addition (if you go to a flagship store at least), they have an insane amount of color choices and designs too choose from.

If you want something so slim that people can see your abs right through it and you want the blood flow in your arms to be cut off get Lyle & Scott Vintage polo’s. I have one and I love the design but I never wear it because it is inappropriately tight.

16. david123

david123 Well-Known Member

Did the Tailorstore polos just go way up in price? I remember them being $29 and now they're at least $45.

17. gort

gort Well-Known Member

John Smedley's Milo short sleeved polos are my favorite and the only polo shirts I'll wear anymore.

Posts like these make me sad because I think "Oh I'll google those to have a look," then I see the price tag and have no inclination to pay that much for a polo. [​IMG]

18. rathgus

rathgus New Member

Brooks Brothers has a deal going on for Slim Fit polo's at the moment. 3 for $129 (regularly $64.50 ea.). I picked up 6 solid slim fits for ~ $37 ea. (Promotional discount + Corporate discount).

19. LouisD

LouisD Member

My local Club Monaco has slim-fit polos on sale in various colors for $29.99 CAD (+20% student discount, if you look young enough and have an old student ID).

I'm a 36R and the XS almost emphasized my skinniness TOO much.

20. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Well-Known Member

If you're looking for slim I'm not sure you can do much better than Kent Wang. I am wearing one as I type this. They fit perfectly and the spread collar makes you look a little more formal than the dude sitting next to you in a cliche Ralph Lauren polo. I will warn sizing up in these is all but a must.

https://www.kentwang.com/polos/polo-white.html

Kent is also a SF member so feel free to drop him a line if you have questions. No striped collars but these are great staple shirts and at $65 a pop you can afford to get every color and never worry about another polo again.