1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Who is your favourite denim maker...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JurassicJon, Aug 20, 2003.

1. TCN

TCN Well-Known Member

This thread reminds me . . .

I really like my Levi's 501 "Capital E" (I think it's called that) jeans, although they're not that old and some of the decorative back pocket stitching is coming undone. I wonder if Levi's would fix that gratis?

2. haganah

haganah Well-Known Member

And you'll be doing it in 2010 when a thread from 2007 gets revived. It's just the way fashion works.
    You say that only because you own a large selection of Jordache jeans.

3. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Well-Known Member

Hah, great thread revival. This is the thread that led to my very first premium jeans purchase (Levi's Austin.)

Wow it's a long way from Austin to Kohzo! [​IMG]

4. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Well-Known Member

You say that only because you own a large selection of Jordache jeans.

Please do not make any sort of Jewish reference to me for fear that GDL might get upset and make snide remarks.

5. CDC

CDC Well-Known Member

I really like the Levi's Premium line, but I've found that the jeans with the resin wash (Coveted?) don't hold up particularly well. I guess that the resin treatment makes the cloth brittle and easily abraded, if that makes any sense.

Diesels last a lifetime. I've had a pair of the old Kratt "flattened" jeans for a few years of heavy use, and they have held up better than nearly any other jeans (and I wear jeans nearly exclusively, and have tried nearly every brand).

Lucky's hold up pretty well too, though not as well as Diesel Jeans. The washes are not as sophisticated either.

I don't really like Buffalo jeans, neither the cuts nor the washes have ever jumped out at me.

Why don't you try Paper Denim, Seven, Von Dutch, Joe's Jeans, or DDC labs. They are all about the same price range as Diesels, and only slightly more expensive that Levi's Premium. Paper denims have great cuts and washes, and the denim is incredible, Seven's have good cuts and are somewhat cheaper, Von Dutch was great washes (I love their dark denim) and is probably going to be the next big jean. Joe's jeans have a great cut as well; and DDClabs are probably the most innovative jeans company around.

Less common are Tsubi jeans (from Australia). I've only seen these a few times, but I've been consistently impressed by their treatments. Rogan Jeans are the ne plus ultra of jeans, but they are too expensive even for a jeans freak like me ($250+ wow.)

Hmm, I loathe virtually every brand mentioned here.

6. Dedalus

Dedalus Well-Known Member

Hmm, I loathe virtually every brand mentioned here.

That's easy to say now, but did you loathe those brands 4 years ago?

7. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

I love the Levis Vintage Collection series and own about 16 pairs. I picked them up mostly on EBay because I have a hard to get long inseam. Fortunatly I found a collector in Austria who is my exact size and we have traded quite a few pairs over the last few years. Unfortunatly the quality seems to have fallen off since they discontinued making them in San Francisco. (They have 555 stamped on the back of the buttons).

For any new jeans, I will be looking for a new brand or San Francisco made LVC jeans. I have seen some pretty cool PRPS jeans at some stores around San Francisco. The detail work is impressive.

What does anyone think about PRPS???????

8. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

Here I was getting excited about buying a pair of jeans for $30. Whah.

~ Huntsman

9. bmulford

bmulford Well-Known Member

I'm simple when it comes to denim. Lucky jeans have been pretty good for me, as have older PDC's. Some of the ones I've bought in the last year and a half haven't seemed to hold up like the older models.

Has anyone tried the borrelli denim? I've wondered if their offering is a just an expensive add-on using the brand, or if they are of superior quality.

10. tangerine

tangerine Well-Known Member

Imhotep's got nothing on this thread.

What does anyone think about PRPS???????

I like the detailing on the one-wash purple selvedge ones, which I have seen from time to time in the SF Bloomingdales. The construction seems good. They don't fit me well, though, so I never bought a pair.

11. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried the borrelli denim? I've wondered if their offering is a just an expensive add-on using the brand, or if they are of superior quality.

I haven't tried them but I've examined them in the stores and feel that they're more of an expensive add-on using the brand name rather than being of superior quality.

12. CDC

CDC Well-Known Member

That's easy to say now, but did you loathe those brands 4 years ago?

Actually I did, I was pretty anal about only wearing raw 501's since '98 (then moved up to the 501xx reissues). I did own a pair of rinsed Paper denims; I liked the color and I think they do have good pockets. I liked the exposed rivets also. Half of those jeans weren't around 4 years ago.
    I'm really not trying to pull the I-liked-it-before-it-was-popular thing, but I honestly always have hated fake wear on jeans. When I was 19 my dad told me about the whole shrink to fit thing, and that was how everybody did it back in the day - then I was hooked.

In early 06, I bought my first pair of something other than Levis LVC 501's (Nudie slim jims). Since then I've opened up quite a bit, but I still need heavier weight, raw or rinsed only denim.

13. esspee1200

esspee1200 Well-Known Member

for me its gotta be any soft jean. eg. AG jeans (Adriano Goldschmeid) in perticular the "Hero" jean.

14. Crane's

Crane's Well-Known Member

Construction work denim would be Carhartt or Lee dungarees, nothing special, just your 20 to 35 dollar jeans. Now my don't go do a roof or frame jeans are a different story, Nudie AJs and RAs, Lee authentics 101b and now I'm looking at Levi vintage stuff all in dry denim. I'm eyeballing a Levi vintage type 1 jacket too.

15. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Well-Known Member

The last jeans I got were Levis 501 (unwashed and I hope to never have to wash them by steaming and spot cleaning them). Costco makes a great Kirkland brand jean. Nevertheless, I find that even though one could get 50 pairs of Kirkland jeans for what it takes to get one pair of Kiton jeans that I've found I must prefer the Kiton ones.

16. AR_Six

AR_Six Well-Known Member

What's up with the ancient thread bump? Ok, not ancient, but 07...

Got a pair of RB11 this week and I am pretty excited to see how they turn out after hemming/tapering. My favourite jean is still the Acne Mic (note my sig, always could use another pair at discount). But from now on I'm going to shop for R&B as well, preferably in a cut similar to the mic. Actually, if anyone has any suggestions as to what R&B cut is similar to the mic, I'd love to hear it.

My next pair might be Somet straights though.

17. nachomancandysandwich

nachomancandysandwich Active Member

18. johnnylazar

johnnylazar Well-Known Member

Prps are amazing. Double RL are awesome too. I have two pair of the slim bootcut and they kick ass. I've worn them to death. Also you can usually find them on clearence, so i got mine for like 70 bucks.

19. mljones99

mljones99 Well-Known Member

My current favorite pair of jeans is from Diesel. I have a hard time find my size in jeans so I mainly stick with Diesel, 7 For All Mankind, and Lucky since they all make something that fits me.

20. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

I'm totally satisfied with Uniqlo jeans