1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. greger

greger Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Wow! What a winner! The pocket square should be burned and the ashes bury 40 million feet under the earth.

The picture above that was alright.

1 person likes this.
  2. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

3. greger

greger Well-Known Member

There is more to wearing clothes than colors, stripes, plaids and combinations. Skin color, hair color, eye color and so on. And you can't forget personality and character, not to mention purpose, such as what peer group you belong to. Not doubt some do very well and some never will. Those who never will really would be better off finding somebody (a wife) to select for them.

1 person likes this.
  4. Stencil

Stencil Well-Known Member

First, I appreciate that you (or Foo for that matter) bothered to post at all -- all the more so since it was my white linen square against which Foo leveled his narrow views. You guys know more than the rest of us put together, and I like hearing what either of you have to say, regardless of whether or not I agree. Honest.

Second, I just worry that excessive back-and-forth over the epistemology of aesthetics will discourage people from posting outfits for consideration. I'd like for there to be discussion of standards, and where they come from (though ultimately I think the former is more important). But I'd also like to apply that discussion to praxis. I'm just asking for balance. I don't mean to be flip, and I'm sorry if it came off that way.

I don't entirely agree with your views on aesthetics. I still find them compelling and like that you air them; I hope you stick around and allow them to guide your sartorial evaluations of others. If not, thanks for stopping by. Sorry this was tiresome.

So don't agree about the square. @in stitches , I think that's a winner, minus the sarcasm.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

Like all things, moderation. Some philosophy will get us to a number of useful standards. A lot of philosophizing in an attempt to narrow that number to a few or even one standard ceases to be productive and ends up being a lively round on philosophical auto-fellatio (and/or counterproductive attempts to cock block said self-pleasuring--counterproductive as that sweet, sweet braingasm is best when it gets on everyone else)

6. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Well-Known Member

Estitchy, I like the dotted tie and square, and the suit, but not together. One says fun, the other says sober. The other one, tho, is great all around.

Arch, good stuff. Orange and grey is underrated. Is that donegal jacket part of a suit?

7. in stitches

Going backwards here, thanks, I liked that top one myself, if I am allowed to say that. As for the other, its a birdseye SC, not a suit, but certainly on the business end of SCs, as that goes. Not sure if this brings it together, but here is the full pic below. Still have the same issue for you?

[​IMG]

---

And since Im posting pics, another one from the summer. Apparently I wore this SC a lot.

[​IMG]

8. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

Thanks. Jacket is probably more of a blue grey IRL, but agree that a nice rust / orange tie can work with grey. I considered a full Donegal suit but ultimately decided to just get the jacket here.

9. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Well-Known Member

Ahem... 3 games to 3 games. If the Giants lose the next game, will you wear a white shirt with a cream pocket square in protest?

10. UrbanComposition

Stitchy, your tie / square game is strong. I like birdseye as a suit fabric, but I'm not sure I see the benefit of a birdseye blazer.

11. UrbanComposition

The dotted tie & square with a grey flannel suit - something tells me that might look great.

12. in stitches

Thanks, man. Much appreciated. Indeed, it's pretty formal fabric for a sportcoat, I also don't like the lapels, they are too narrow. Problem is it's my only navy sportcoat. Edmorel is making up a new one for me that should be perfect.

Funny story, the first time I wore that tie it was with a gray flannel suit. The suit would've been too formal for that square though, and I have also since sold it.

13. Stencil

Stencil Well-Known Member

@in stitches , out of curiosity, what is the material of that green dotted tie?

Looking forward to seeing what Ed delivers. He does you justice.

14. in stitches

Silk/cotton. Its amazing.

You and me both.

15. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

It does have the mesh back. It's full-on country.

2 people like this.
  16. in stitches

What kind of truck were you driving when you were wearing it?

17. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Well-Known Member

A dually, no doubt.

18. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

This is great.

I'm sure some will find the square palette to be too close to the tie/shirt - but I personally like that stuff (i.e. staying in the same color spectrum but going much lighter or much darker, or more/less saturated)

6 people like this.
  19. UrbanComposition

^ A square with these characteristics is your ally.

20. in stitches

Thanks, G. Appreciate the vote of confidence.