• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lookaround.gif
I think that's how you have to do it. Blue shirt / jacket.

dynajb

Reaction score
Combo look ok? In my attempt to become more "fashionable", I am breaking away from my black and blue suits to throwing in colors and trying to figure out proper combos. Hopefully I pulled it off with this one. Pants are navy, seem to look black in my pic. Shoes are not pictured. I'm not happy with my selection and have purchased some Allen Edmonds that I should have by end if week. Trying to work in pocket squares to. Completely new to it...thanks.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That comment was based on the idea that the coat's silhouette determines its use. So, a strong shoulder (pagoda-ish + strongly roped) fits into more formal settings thus the combination with a BD would be incoherent. Honestly, it makes sense to me.

To some extent, I can understand that line of thinking - a sharper line just looks more formal (and necessarily less relaxed) to me.

But this ignores the fact that the English tailors have been making tweed jackets in that style since Moses wore short pants. It seems that, historically, the fabric and details determined the formality not the cut / style. And I don't think we've fully moved beyond that, at least not yet.

Victor Elfo

Reaction score
To some extent, I can understand that line of thinking - a sharper line just looks more formal (and necessarily less relaxed) to me.

But this ignores the fact that the English tailors have been making tweed jackets in that style since Moses wore short pants. It seems that, historically, the fabric and details determined the formality not the cut / style. And I don't think we've fully moved beyond that, at least not yet.

Most of us tend to follow that logic (fabric and details being determinant to the choices), myself included. Some bespeakers have the privilege of an open mind (or a wide pocket) to add another factor: the cut. As you put, it seems to be the next step, but many of us are just too biased towards a specific cut. I remember that RSS made a post explaining how he would choose between his many garments considering those factors, giving preeminence to the cut (cut > fabric > details).

Last edited:

CrimsonSox

Reaction score
I'm loving the outfit Stitches. Great fit on the navy suit too, and very nice black oxfords.

LL

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm loving the outfit Stitches. Great fit on the navy suit too, and very nice black oxfords.
LL
thank you kindly, CS.

vida

Reaction score

tasty?

Stitch,
I think the look and fit are great. One question, though. The tie looks to be a wool or wool/ silk mix and we are in the middle of August, so I am wondering if anyone thinks the tie fabric is too heavy for the season. Personally, I have always wanted to wear light wool in the summer but have thought it may come across as odd. Do you wear wool regardless of the season?

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Combo look ok? In my attempt to become more "fashionable", I am breaking away from my black and blue suits to throwing in colors and trying to figure out proper combos. Hopefully I pulled it off with this one. Pants are navy, seem to look black in my pic. Shoes are not pictured. I'm not happy with my selection and have purchased some Allen Edmonds that I should have by end if week. Trying to work in pocket squares to. Completely new to it...thanks
Not a good picture of the combination, but I think you've got a bit too much blue, a tie that could be too formal for your jacket (depends on the textures), an extraneous tie bar, and a PS fold that took longer than I'd like to take to get dressed. I think blood has been spilled on here over gray coats with navy trousers. Suffice it to say it isn't foolproof.

I have to be honest -- my call is that this would be a promising early WAYWRN post, but not really the kind of thing that gets a lot of play in this thread.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Stitch,
I think the look and fit are great. One question, though. The tie looks to be a wool or wool/ silk mix and we are in the middle of August, so I am wondering if anyone thinks the tie fabric is too heavy for the season. Personally, I have always wanted to wear light wool in the summer but have thought it may come across as odd. Do you wear wool regardless of the season?

thanks, v. its an unlined cashmere. lighter than 95% of my silk or cotton ties. i think lots of fabrics are cross seasonal, depends on the colors, weight and textures. i dont see this one as being odd for summer. ymmv.

dynajb

Reaction score

Not a good picture of the combination, but I think you've got a bit too much blue, a tie that could be too formal for your jacket (depends on the textures), an extraneous tie bar, and a PS fold that took longer than I'd like to take to get dressed. I think blood has been spilled on here over gray coats with navy trousers. Suffice it to say it isn't foolproof.

I have to be honest -- my call is that this would be a promising early WAYWRN post, but not really the kind of thing that gets a lot of play in this thread.

YRR92, thanks for the reply. I appreciate your time. I am new here and will search for WAYWRN and see what comes up. Lots of learning and appreciate all the help.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads