1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. aw82

aw82 Well-Known Member

First post in this thread, but don't hold the punches. The socks and the shirt coordinate well, and the tie and the shirt coordinate well, but I'm not sure about the tie and the socks...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  3. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

should you stay here, it will cost you a lot of money.

4. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

x-post.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
    3 people like this.
  5. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

I'll be completely honest with you and as nice as possible and say that's one of the worst knots I've seen on Style Forum in my time here. Stick to a basic four in hand (and if that's a four in hand keep practising). It's just all off kilter and dimples & bulges in the wrong places. The purple socks, IMO are just not necessary whether they go or not. Plain charcoal would have been much better. And don't worry about everything co-ordinating with each other, worry about the finished product of them all coming together. Hope that helps.

gdl203 spoilered quoted pics

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2012
  6. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

gdl - nice. panta tie?

7. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

aw - On top of CW's excellent comments, the shirt is a little out there too. Basically, just tone everything way down, start with more basic pieces. If you get a solid light blue shirt with some nice texture to it, tie a decent knot on your tie, wear some charcoal socks, then you will have made a lot of progress. Go back and try to find some of foo's comments earlier in the thread that are to the effect of, build a wardrobe by getting basic items that go with a lot, rather than loud items that need to be carefully mixed and matched, and will most often just look out of place and seeking attention, like your socks and to some extent your shirt.

8. aw82

aw82 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comment. I'm not a huge four-in-hand fan with spread collars...it just looks too disproportionate to me (especially on my large neck and broad shoulders). In the past I've just gone with a half windsor but lately have been trying the Pratt knot since everyone here seems to hate the half windsor for whatever reason (though the two don't look all that different in my eye).

I admit I spend a lot of time with this outfit yesterday and it was the first time I really deliberated on everything coordinating. It's not something I'll do regularly, just something I wanted to try. This outfit consisted of a shirt that I found in the back of my closet, new socks ordered from Viccel, and a thrifted tie, so this experiment was also partly a chance to wear new stuff.

9. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to be blunt but there's nothing you can do with this shirt. I would return it to the back of the closet and not even try to find a place for it in business/tailored outfits

10. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

yup and yesterday's too

11. poorsod

poorsod Well-Known Member

It appears you have been give carte blanche to wield the MantonHammer. :slayer:

I'd say the last 1-2 weeks can easily disappear without detriment.

12. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

13. zeero3

zeero3 Well-Known Member

As the groom, I would definitely appreciate comments on the taste of what I'm wearing for my wedding. I'm also interested in comments on if the contrast collar was tastefully done here or if I would be better off going back to my white poplin. I'm a little weary on wearing a silk square for a wedding, but if I do, this is probably the most tasteful one I can find in my extremely limited selection. Light blue boutonniere might cause the look as a whole to be too pale blue? Square change?

[​IMG]

14. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

Looks great but for the square. A nice buttonhole flower would make sure you don't miss the square. Or go with simple white linen.

1 person likes this.
  15. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

absolutely needs white linen

16. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Well-Known Member

Vanda shepherd's check tie? :)

It's a nice contrast collar, but IMO, you should go with the white poplin; especially if the tie is the same black and white shepherd's check I'm thinking of.

Also - at the risk of sounding like Foo - why not a cream or off-white silk square? The problem is the fussiness of the square combined with the fussiness of the checked tie. Either go plain, or choose something with a larger pattern. Personally, I'd go plain.

Wedding attire = formal = elegant = simple.

My 2 cents.

17. zeero3

zeero3 Well-Known Member

I was so set on a white linen square until, oddly enough, reading this thread.

18. zeero3

zeero3 Well-Known Member

The tie is Kent Wang's shepherd's check. :slayer:

Totally agree with the equation you have above; the square was the main thing I was unsure of due to it being just a bit much for the occasion.

19. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

As with the Peacock and Casual threads, these more theme-specific threads really need active weeding to be interesting. Otherwise, might as well just have one wayrn thread as we used to. Looking forward to some intensive pruning (or at least spoiler-coding) of fits that don't fit the parameters of the thread when Manton gets back from (?)holiday. (In an ideal world, I'd like to see the same done in the other threads I mentioned too, by their respective thread owners)

20. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

One of the toughest formats to keep tasteful and/or interesting is Friday biz caz...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.