1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

Let me first respond to EMartNJ. I didn't come here for advice. I came here to have a discussion with several other people about a subject we were interested in. Claiming that I am refusing advise is absurd. The other participants in the conversation were stating their opinions, and why they think it is valid. I am sure we all came away with something. That is what discussions are for.

Now to Sprout. I have been participating in this forum for more than a year, watching it for much longer. I know what the accepted wisdom is here. I acknowledge it and respect it. I actually tried to imitate the accepted wisdom very closely at first, but slowly moved away from it. I found out what I like, and I dress accordingly. I also really don't care about who someone is. If they are a big name here I give their opinion no more or less credence than anyone else's. My only test is 'does it make sense?' and 'is it practical?' This is why I have no problem challenging people that others sometimes think are out of bounds.

Ok, now for the BIG point of all this...

The discussion I was having with all participants was interesting, civil, and informative. You can disagree with me all you want, and I will even probably heed some of what you say. But don't come to me and tell me that I shouldn't be having the conversation at all. It is a discussion. Don't like it? Don't read it.

Now back to the fun stuff...

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  2. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

CM, I just assume you're running a really long con, and you secretly prefer gray trousers to navy but are testing which of us have true faith in the supremacy of gray and which of us merely spout SF dogma. [​IMG]

"Does it make sense" and "is it practical" are both good, but you do have to consider the source. If I know somebody is generally a much better dresser/more knowledgeable poster than I am, their opinion carries a little more weight.

1 person likes this.
  3. Caustic Man

Know what? I just ordered two pairs of gray flannels earlier today. I swear I was going to anyway, despite this conversation! [​IMG]

Anyway, I do like them. It's just that I like other colors too!

2 people like this.
  4. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

A serious question for Manton, Doc and the usual suspects but what is the wisdom on cardigans with SCs or is that a non-starter? I almost exclusively wear a navy jacket with mid-greys or khakis, blue or blue/white stripes shirt and a dark neat or grenadine. I was thinking a tan/natural for grey pants days and grey for khaki pants days.

5. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

Just a thought, but do you think your liking a variety of different trouser colors stems from you not being a bit suit wearer (apologies if I'm mistaken but I thought you said at one point that you rarely wear suits)? I'm not saying other trousers can't work (I'm actually pretty fond of both grey and different shades of tan myself), but I can see the whole OneTrouser (Trademark :foo:) being a bit tougher to work with if one regularly wears a tie but doesn't have a decent amount of suits in the rotation.

6. Caustic Man

I don't know. I never thought about that, so obviously it's not a conscious thing, but subconsciously I guess you never know. You are right, I am not a big suit wearer at this point. It's not that I don't like them, it's just that my life rarely requires, or warrants them at this point. I just quit a job which required a suit every day, so I'm not against them. I just find wearing one color of trousers with almost everything a bit... well... boring. Then again, I am the guy who wear orange trousers in summer time, so my opinions aren't always in sync with either good taste or SF. [​IMG]

7. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

I enjoy a bit of color in the summer myself, though I usually do it in a context that is more casual than CM, so that may be a differentiator but who knows.

Orange trousers aside, I've generally thought that one's jacket is a better way to create different looks than trousers. Not only do you have a variety of colors to work with, but different patterns as well, and I think that one is more likely to notice the jacket when looking at your face. Things get more complicated when you try to have a variety of odd jackets and odd trousers. You get more possible combinations but they take a lot more thought and you end up with more pieces that only work in the context of specific outfits. I don't know that I think there is anything wrong with this, but it's worth thinking about IMO. There's also the increased risk of a misfire when you pick out a particular combination the more variables you introduce.

I do think that Foo takes the idea of simplification close to its logical extreme and I would not go that far, but unless one is hitting home runs with every outfit one wears, there's some merit to the idea of simplifying some variables in one's wardrobe (though I understand the trouser thing more than the shirt or shoe thing). Most of us don't hit home runs everyday and I am no exception.

8. Stiva

Stiva Well-Known Member

This may be overstating the position. In any field of endeavour there are people who have superior knowledge, learning or expertise. Their opinions warrant greater credence because of that. Or to put it another way, they are "big names" not due to ubiquity or prolificacy of posting, but due to their knowledge and expertise - and the best of those always acknowledge that the "rules" are ultimately a normative rather than an absolute construct.

1 person likes this.
  9. Caustic Man

I don't think anyone hits home runs everyday. The great ones his singles on off days, but rarely strike out. I agree on the simplification thing, but experiment is a part of me that's never going to leave. I also believe that if I apply basic principles to colors other than the accepted norm, that it will at least look decent.

10. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

Speak for yourself. :devil:

3 people like this.
  11. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

i dont like the baseball analogy.

i would say the those here who are at the top of the game look great pretty much every day. some days they maybe only look good, and some days they maybe look effing amazing, but they consistently look great.

12. Caustic Man

Baseball is an appropriate analogy for everything in the universe. I'm not even kidding.

2 people like this.
  13. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

i do not think i agree. so there!

14. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

I am going to have to agree with CM on this one.

15. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Doc does it, Vox does it. I personally hate it.

1 person likes this.
  16. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I would not wear a cardigan with sleeves under a jacket. I have one (possibly more but at least one) cardigan vest that I sometimes wear under jackets. I also have a few pull over knit vests that I wear with tweeds.

17. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Well-Known Member

Manton, are you say no sleeved knitwear under jackets, or just no sleeved cardigans?

18. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Let me re-phrase. I don't mind them much with SC's (especially sweaters or vests with no buttons), however they bother me a lot with suits. To me it is a sad attempt at making your suit look like a 3 piece. That may not be the intension, however to me it just looks bad.

1 person likes this.
  19. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Yeah, I mean, what's the point? Are your arms that cold? Plus, it must make moving a pain.

20. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Well-Known Member

I often wear single-ply, solid cashmere v-necks with odd jackets in the winter. I haven't found them to ever limit my movement, though I would say that a high-gauge wool is likely a different story.

I like a sweater with sleeves because it allows for more flexibility with layering (if you wear a vest, you're forced to keep your jacket on, IMO, as sweater vests on their own look quite frumpy). Furthermore, the majority of my jackets are a more open weave. Living down south, it doesn't make sense to buy a 14oz tweed or a heavy cash/wool job that can be worn for two months of the year, though YMMV. So while it may not be a problem of my arms getting cold, the whole sweater acts as a better insulator.

I guess I go with sleeved knitwear for versatility. However, it is worth noting I hardly wear suits and would never wear a sweater with a suit. Looks too European soccer coach (not that there aren't worse things).