• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

These jackets are a little bit too used car salesman for 2013, I'd say the look is well executed but wearing that is more of an eccentric idiosyncrasy than an outfit that is in good taste. There is no timeless style. Oh and white pocket square for you.

Last edited:

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

In life there are no problems, that is, objective and external choices; there is only the life which we do not resolve as a problem but which we live as an experience, whatever the final result may be.

--Alberto Moravia

Quoting Moravia when Pavese existed is a crime against Italian literature. I like Roman tales though.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

stitches, I think a side view would give a better view of how the pants look (and don't forget the ass pic!). One of the reasons I have gone to rounder toe shoes is that I find when you like a narrower leg opening, an elongated shoe makes the leg look very narrow.

will try and get side views, and off course, ass views. agreed about the rounder shoe, i also have larger size feet, US12.

[fit feedback thread mode]
Stitchy, are you rather tall? If so, that would explain why a 9" leg opening looks like slim fit pents on you. You might want to go even wider, both in knee and leg opening measurements. Maybe the knee measurement is even more important.
FWIW, I like a 8.6" leg opening myself and I'm just 5'7" - I have slightly knocked knees too, but you can't tell because my pants are full and have quite a bit of drape. Unless you really dislike the fuller cut pants look, I encourage you to give it a try. While you're at it, I believe a shorter outseam could help, too.
[/fit feedback thread mode]

not very tall. only 5'10". :(

indeed, i do not like a fuller look than these pants.

I would never have guessed that's a 9" opening. When you stand straight, is the back of the hem hitting your achilles heel? The balance of the trous might be off in some way. Or maybe your knees are locked or something.

they seem to be, but a side pic would help better i think. i really think they look great. i have an idea, lets grab coffee tonight and you can see for yourself in person!

sprout2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I was biting my tongue until now but I agree. This "awesome jacket!!!!!!" praise is always geared at novelty cloths instead of coherent items. Without knowing where you work, I can't say, but the dress stripe with mitered cuff paired with the gunclub or whatever this is is very weird to me.

Almost all of the plaids being reissued today are extremely dated. But there is enough positive response that the manufacturers push more of it and the feedback loop continues. That's an information cascade (cf. Ivo Welch) for you.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mang, then that's so weird. Must be the camera or something, but I'm much like UBR - would never have guessed those are 9".

Last edited:

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

they seem to be, but a side pic would help better i think. i really think they look great. i have an idea, lets grab coffee tonight and you can see for yourself in person!

By "grab coffee" I assume you mean "drink alcohol" - which I would join you for if I weren't already committed for same activity with some other gents.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I was biting my tongue until now but I agree. This "awesome jacket!!!!!!" praise is always geared at novelty cloths instead of coherent items. Without knowing where you work, I can't say, but the dress stripe with mitered cuff paired with the gunclub or whatever this is is very weird to me.

Almost all of the plaids being reissued today are extremely dated. But there is enough positive response that the manufacturers push more of it and the feedback loop continues. That's an information cascade (cf. Ivo Welch) for you.

I have always disliked gun clubs (or is that a district check?) whose main colour is not in the beige/mustard family. It's the typical "old man jacket" you see around these parts. When the main colour is beige/mustard, I absolutely love them, though.

And that said, for some strange reason I still like JP's jacket. Must be the shade of blue, or that I'm getting old... anyways, if something is "in" again, doesn't that mean it's not dated anymore?

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

mang, then that's so weird. Must be the camera or something, but I'm much like UBR - would never have guessed those are 9".

fit pics are really hard for me to get right. part of why i like this thread. i find it much easier to get a good pic of the colors and textures of the tie/shirt/SC, than a solid accurate fit pic.

By "grab coffee" I assume you mean "drink alcohol" - which I would join you for if I weren't already committed for same activity with some other gents.

yes indeed. my loss. :(

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

I have always disliked gun clubs (or is that a district check?) whose main colour is not in the beige/mustard family. It's the typical "old man jacket" you see around these parts. When the main colour is beige/mustard, I absolutely love them, though.

And that said, for some strange reason I still like JP's jacket. Must be the shade of blue, or that I'm getting old... anyways, if something is "in" again, doesn't that mean it's not dated anymore?

It's either dated, #menswear or yeah, idiosyncratic and it works. This is the good taste thread though. I recently posted two "MC"ish outfits in the SWD section but I didn't post them here because 1)they're crappy iphone pics 2) They're not in "good taste". I don't seem them as wrong or anything but hey.

Dress shirt comment for sweater and cardigan wearers:
I wear a white shirt 99% of the time with those as the sweater itself is colourful enough. It doesn't matter if it's with a conservative suit (well an approximation of one), a sportcoat/slacks outfit or a casual one. The shirt is almost always button down, hell I almost exclusively wear bd now, before styleforum I never even owned one and was WTF-ing the whole concept, hell I think I got my first one in 2011.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
On the basis of an innate/intrinsic/non-arbitrary aesthetic sense: I start from male preferences for female attractiveness (and to a lesser extent the reverse, though women care about looks less than men do). This is strong evidence of an innate preference that transcends culture, time, place, everything, really. From there I find certain other widespread, if not universal, aesthetic preferences. There are numerous reasons why these cannot simply be dismessed as "culturally conditioned" or "groupthink."

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

On the basis of an innate/intrinsic/non-arbitrary aesthetic sense: I start from male preferences for female attractiveness (and to a lesser extent the reverse, though women care about looks less than men do). This is strong evidence of an innate preference that transcends culture, time, place, everything, really. From there I find certain other widespread, if not universal, aesthetic preferences. There are numerous reasons why these cannot simply be dismessed as "culturally conditioned" or "groupthink."

You might like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Real-Beauty-E...8&qid=1363200915&sr=1-10&keywords=reAL+BEAUTY

JPHardy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^

Is that the sartorial equivalent of "Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded'?

Can you explain this further ; the dress stripe with mitered cuff ? Manton mentioned not liking mitered cuff's earlier. Just wanted to see your reasoning. I really never thought much, other than I like the square design.

Thank you.

Last edited:

sprout2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I meant that there is a core segment -- ironic #menswear, call it what you will -- that is receptive to it and it therefore works for their business model. YMMV but I find most of the Isaia stuff to be woefully loud in a 70s Appreciation star kind of way. But because it costs $3k off the rack, it has prestige, I guess (??).

I wear mitered cuffs. But it is a "hard," dressy look. And the thin stripe on a pale gray (lavender?) ground is equally restrained and severe. To me that is something that goes with a suit. The wooly jacket in checks does not compute with that. Actually, I can't put my finger on it -- it may just be the angle of the miter or the wide angle of the lens, but when I saw the photo I couldn't rip my eyes away. I actually considered going all barrel cuffs after staring at your picture for awhile.

I don't mean to pile on -- your outfit is well above the standard for looking nice. There is just some disharmony, and some of it (e.g., the issue of plaids or no plaids) is subjective.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads