1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

Suspenders = win.

Will probably have buttons sewn in my newer odd trousers.

1 person likes this.
  2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I love suspenders very much, but it bugs me when I see people with suspenders and belt loops.

3. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

Not sure how those are related, but YMMV.

Agreed, at least for this collar. These are the shortest I have, and commissions since I got these have been taller. Cantabrigian suggested the same for a taller collar I posted, but that one's already at my adam's apple, so can't go much taller comfortably.

4. Renault78law

Renault78law Well-Known Member

Me too.

5. sugarbutch

Just for you, fellas.

[​IMG]

6. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

let me rephrase, i hate wearing suspenders. of course i have no objection to them on anyone who may enjoy them.

7. patrickBOOTH

Hating suspenders makes no sense to me. You mean you hate how they feel? They feel like nothing, completely opposite of how a belt feels.

1 person likes this.
  8. in stitches

i just dont like how it feels. i need a belt. one of my many OCD issues.

9. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think suspenders are much more comfortable. Don't have to cinch it down like a belt, the pents just hang at the right spot magically.

1 person likes this.
  10. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Well-Known Member

They are all related inasmuch you're living a lie while wearing them. Lies. All lies.

1 person likes this.
  11. in stitches

thats what i dont like. hanging pents. i dont like that feeling.

and i feel i need a belt to keep my shirt in the way i like it. without a belt, even with perfectly fitting pants, i find my shirt does not stay in the way i like.

12. patrickBOOTH

You're weird. That's coming from me.

13. in stitches

i am weird. this should not be news to anyone.

3 people like this.
  14. sugarbutch

:lol:

15. tdude

tdude Well-Known Member

Why please? The thinking behind these kinds of judgments is more useful to me than just the bare conclusion.

Odd grey jackets are discouraged because 1) it can look like an orphaned suit jacket, 2) not versatile/hard to pair. Number one has exceptions like a navy jacket with odd details that have been accepted into the canon over time. Number two doesn't need exceptions, just an acknowledgement that something purchased with limited versatility has limited versatility. Blueish grey trousers, in my mind, could work with many brown jackets. Depending on shades, perhaps even with navy jackets. Maybe even dark orange/rust jackets like the one posted in this thread long ago (maybe by Gdl??). Or is there a rule (or tradition if we need to avoid the whole there-are-no-rules antagonists)?

Whnay, do you own/wear any kind of blueish odd trousers?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  16. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

I like SB's last one. I aint the judge of taste, though, so what do I know?

+1 nice to see Manton posting again. Let's see some more of that!

1 person likes this.
  17. Vodking

Vodking Well-Known Member

I think the problem is that grey trousers will always look better in the circumstances you have mentioned. Perhaps it is because having a coloured jacket (brown, rust, navy etc) looks better when grounded by a neutral shade rather than another colour.

18. Ivar

Ivar Well-Known Member

Observing this "rule" is fine and all, but let's not kid ourselves: there's no way to justify it by references to color-matching theory. Try telling the raw denim guys over at the streewear forum that their jeans don't go with light-colored tops -- or, for that matter, that gray tops are a hard match. I suspect they would find the idea preposterous in the extreme. No, if this "rule" have any legitimacy at all, it's because it's grounded in tradition, or at least with observance to tradition.

On this score, everything we have so far is the near absence of blue pants from the old AA/Esquire drawings and some American members relating that, on growing up, their elders expressed distaste for blue odd pants (possibly because of working-class connotations -- I disremember). I don't mean to denigrate the whole concept, but I cannot help but thinking that you guys are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  19. sprout2

sprout2 Well-Known Member

The other problem causing cognitive dissonance is that all of the SF denizens educated in elegance-through-austerity rely on the safe comfort of odd pants in every shade of gray. No one seems uncomfortable with mustard-brown suits, wild pinstripes, and electric blue double breasted numbers, but colored, even potentially incongrous pants provoke fear and hand-wringing.

20. tdude

tdude Well-Known Member

I'm beginning to wonder if I owe an apology to Manton and Whnay and the others like them. Ask for their opinion and their sardonic critics arrive first. Guys, it was a sincere question for the thoughts from those whose taste is represented in this thread (or was supposed to be represented in this thread). If you don't like the tastes of this thread, ignore it.

3 people like this.