1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

+1. would not have thought to use that shirt outside of a casual look. nicely done, JP.

2. JPHardy

JPHardy Well-Known Member

Thank you, trying to keep yout thread going.

Well you have to dig deep to come up with an idea like this. Like the first post on this thread. ;)

1 person likes this.
  3. CaymanS

CaymanS Well-Known Member

+2.

Great example of utilizing various textures to nail the navy tie/navy jacket look, which many people fail at.

4. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Well-Known Member

The Slim family, the Azcárraga family, the Aramburozavala family haha, just kidding. A lot of people here just becuase it's an expensive brand will buy it, but I guess that for the price of a Kiton you can get two bespoke suits by Antonio Solito.

5. JPHardy

From the looks of things there are plenty of people with money for Kiton. As far as being bought as expensive brands, that is the same everywhere.

To previous question, I'm down there for business, but do enjoy your city.

Cayman, thank you again.

6. Betelgeuse

If you get one by Antonio, please let me know the details on the overall experience. [​IMG]

7. Augustus D

Augustus D Active Member

You forgot the Nieto's

8. Betelgeuse

Oh, you're right! But if you're refering to Peña Nieto, as far as I knew all his suits were Bijan.

9. JPHardy

[​IMG]

10 people like this.
  10. in stitches

unbuttoned cuff. nice steez. solid fit, too.

11. scatterbrain

scatterbrain Well-Known Member

I want to play!

I am struggling with whether this tie can ever be in good taste. I really like it, but I feel like it's too loud and it makes me feel a little like a salesman.

The following would be worn to church or to work on casual Friday:

[​IMG]

Both the tie and the jacket change colour quite a bit, depending on how much light they get. Therefore, one pic is with less light, one with more. I think the first (darker) pic is a more accurate reflection of the colours. The pocketsquare is cream silk.

[​IMG]

Feedback is welcome! I'm here to learn. :)

P.S. I already wish the lapels were wider but I have the jacket and will make use of it.

12. scatterbrain

Also, while I'm at it, how about this:

[​IMG]?

The blue area of the shirt is actually very fine blue and white stripes.

I would add the creme pocketsquare from the pic above, or possibly white cotton (I don't have white linen yet).

White would go with the shirt background better, but I think creme would work better with the tie. Thoughts?

13. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

In the first picture, the tie has too much of a sheen to work with the roughness of the jacket.

14. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

Cream or white would probably work there. I agree with Claghorn that the tie has too much sheen for the jacket. The jacket seems country, and the tie would probably be better with something like a grey suit.

The second pic is much better, but I think the tie calls for a solid shirt because the thin stripes are similar in size to the shirt stripe.

15. scatterbrain

Thanks! I hadn't even thought about texture.

Thanks for the feedback. This was actually my concern with the 2nd combination - that there may be a small pattern clash - but I was hoping it wasn't.

Here's a closeup that I think demonstrates you are right.

[​IMG]

Do you guys think that the blue paisley tie could ever work, or is it just too busy/loud to ever be in good taste, even with a grey suit?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  16. CaymanS

@ scatterbrain - fire is not enough to kill that tie; I fear that the fibres will withstand the heat and the tie will continue to exist. If the world is unlucky, it will end up in teh Thrift Shoppe Bragging Threak, and possibly reappear here. To that end, this tie should be fed through a shredder, and the resultant pieces should be scattered across continents, if at all possible.

17. scatterbrain

Lol.

Don't worry - It's not a notable brand, so if donated it would be shipped to the third world and you would never see it again.

I didn't think it was that bad. haha.

18. JPHardy

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. CaymanS

@ JP, I like the jacket and tie very much, but I think this would be even nicer with a blue shirt. Also, the small pattern on the PS is innocuous in the small pic, but, when I expand it, my eye gets confused between the patterns in the tie and the square, which are similar in scale. GDL sometimes uses similar scale in his ties and pocket squares, successfully I think, but it can be tricky, and I always think the safer route is to avoid small patterns on PS's altogether. On the blue shirt point and small PS pattern point, I know I'm reading straight from the Foo 12:14 Gospel, but I just think he's totally right on those points. I have 10 or so PS's with beautiful small patterns on them and they are damn hard to match, so they basically just sit in my closet, unloved. Oh well. It's the failed acquisitions that lead you to narrow your tastes and improve your wardrobe - they're a necessary evil.

20. in stitches

whats the watch, JP? nice look.