1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Sotiris

Sotiris Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

8 people like this.
  2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Nice tie, shirt not so much.

3. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

Agreed. Everything looks nice but the shirt.

4. steffenbp11

steffenbp11 Well-Known Member

Is that jacket part of a suit ? Lovely fabric. Agree that another shirt would have looked better.

5. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

Holy moly, where have you been?????

6. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

great tie, coat and square but bad shirt

7. JPHardy

JPHardy Well-Known Member

Manton, how about mid 80's? Don't you think they had a resurgence for about 5-10 years?

1 person likes this.
  8. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

A little but only slight. I was alive at the time, ahem. I never saw them in NorCal ever. They were popular among certain west side swells in LA. back east, also, you would see them though not in the prestige houses of law and banking. Flusser was a big proponent and had some influence through CatM (1985), Wall Street (1987) and his shops. But DB was still quite rare, nothing like what it was from say 1930-1952/3.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  9. Sotiris

Sotiris Well-Known Member

Yeah, wife got pregnant and I went on a self imposed hiatus. Also packed on some pounds too during the pregnancy hence my limited shirt selection (and poor choice here). Too stubborn to buy new ones as I'm slowly starting to loose the weight.

And yes steffen, this is a suit.

10. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

DBs had their moment a few seasons ago so many brands presented some, from Zegna to YSL. I don't think it is going back to the mall anytime soon but it is more present in popular imagery, hats are really going strong right now amongst "fashion"or whatever people. I wear baseball caps often, newsboy caps and even a trilby. I usually lose them at some point so can't comment on durability but caps are better than hats for rain as they don't have much of a shape to loose.

1 person likes this.
  11. steffenbp11

steffenbp11 Well-Known Member

Thanks. I am very envious. Rtw suits in this material/fabric (that I can afford) are very hard to come by. And congratulations on the family enlargement btw.

12. JPHardy

JPHardy Well-Known Member

Maybe more on the east coast?

One one my big memories of the 80's was the show 30 Something. The big powerful Myles, always wore a DB.

LA Law, I think showed them also.

I have to dig up my 1986 DB pic.

It was all over GQ.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Well-Known Member

Dopey has said all that needs saying regarding felt hats. Here's my application of all that today.

[​IMG][​IMG]

And a few with coats:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3 people like this.
  14. etkl

etkl Well-Known Member

Out of curiousity, for those of you who 1)work in offices in which professional men are required to wear suits and ties or 2)regularly interact with those men who do, what % actually wear DB's? pocket squares? hats? In my experiece, less than 1% wear any of them.

15. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

PS every day. DB, around once a week, except in Summer, when it's pretty much never.

16. etkl

etkl Well-Known Member

Maybe it is a New York thing, but I see very few lawyers on a percentage basis, including those from NY, who wear PS's.

17. Balfour

Balfour Well-Known Member

On DB suits, I think there is definitely a difference between the UK and some of the comments being made about the States. I wouldn't describe DB suits as common in England (save in certain sectors - barristers, for example, commonly wear DB or three piece suits for reasons related to appropriate court dress). But I don't think it would have the 'dandification' impact some are suggesting it would in the US.

3 people like this.
  18. RDiaz

RDiaz Well-Known Member

I see more PS's now than I did when starting on my current job. DB's, almost never, which is a shame - really, I don't think anyone would care.

19. poorsod

poorsod Well-Known Member

I've been wearing DBs 3x per week this winter. 5 years ago I thought the medwards option was eccentric. Now I can't believe I'm 50% there.

I wore a bowler last week to a hat costume party. I've no idea how to wear hats.

1 person likes this.
  20. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I am in midtown east every working day where 80% of the men are in suits, and these days around a third to half have a PS.