• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

You don't think four patterns (in reference to the first PS) would have been too much for this?

Nope. It's not about counting patterns, at least to me. In this case I think stripes would tie everything together better than a solid.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Personally I think this would benefit from a striped shirt instead of a solid one.

Theoretically this is doable, but easy to **** up. If he had done the standard OCBD-style candy stripes with the first outfit, for example, it would have been a total fail. It calls for bengal stripes so as to avoid being too close in density to the square and jacket.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Apologies for using my own pic to illustrate a point, which apparently drives some of you crazy with rage for reasons I can't understand, but here is what I mean:

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To be clear - I don't mean one of those pinstripey multiple stripe shirts. I mean one color stripes, with medium spacing and thickness. Like the one
foo.gif
has and seems to wear fairly often.

I think I know what you mean, and I have just the shirt for this. Well, we'll see if I do. I'll try and post something in the next few days.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
U., I do think that would look better with a solid blue shirt. Those candy stripes are too dense for the application. As in C.'s case, bengal would be better. Nice color matching though.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For comparison, here's the same suit and similar tie with a plain white shirt. I think light blue makes for too much bright/light blue with this suit. Also in this case I was wearing the suit in the evening (hence the silk square, in a fold :foo: will surely hate, rather than a linen one):

I think the white shirt gives it a much more clean, formal look. In the case of Caustic's fit, that's working against everything else his outfit is trying to do. To my eyes, the plain blue in the middle is like an odd hiatus from the pattern-dense stuff everywhere else. Not in a good, contrasty way, but in just an I-couldn't-think-of-anything-else-to-put-here way.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

bromer that's mostly quite good, but a little too washed out with the blues up top. I think a different tie would help, or else a pink or cream shirt

I think the herringbone shirt is a fail though. I think a stanadard light blue broadcloth, or ocbd would look better.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This shirt is probably not in good taste at all by itself, but since it was my only available clean shirt I built the whole ensemble around it, and I'm interested to know if I did well in that respect. If this is a total trainwreck I'll banish it from this thread.The shirt is white with a blue and burgundy overcheck, and the DB blazer is dark navy. Maybe the blue knit tie and hints of burgundy in the square makes everything a bit too matchy overall?

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
R., the main problem is that the square and tie are too close in saturation--that's to say, very saturated. Honestly, I can't see much detail in the shirt, so it's hard to judge it.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In the case of Caustic's fit, that's working against everything else his outfit is trying to do. To my eyes, the plain blue in the middle is like an odd hiatus from the pattern-dense stuff everywhere else. Not in a good, contrasty way, but in just an I-couldn't-think-of-anything-else-to-put-here way.

I can see what you are saying, and I know this doesn't come through very well in the photo, but the shirt is a two tone oxford weave. Maybe still not optimal for this application, but definitely not a fully solid shirt.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
C., I still think the solid blue is a better idea. You are already wearing some busy patterns. Eyes need a rest. Shirts are inherently background players, so it's usually sensible to embrace them as such.

Last edited:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, very difficult to take a decent close-up picture with a phone and this jacket; it's so dark that even on lowest exposure, everything else looks too bright
frown.gif

If I had one I'd have chosen a lighter and less saturated blue tie, guess that would have helped. Would this be OK with a cream silk square, or is it too formal for such a dressed down blazer outfit?

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads