1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

It's linen. It's practically never going to be not rumpled. Open necked shirt with a casual summer suit is not in poor taste. Same for suede loafers. For me personally, I give that fit an A+ regardless of what thread it's in, although for me personally I'd wear socks.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
    2 people like this.
  2. Willin

Willin Well-Known Member

I think Fuuma should establish a signature rating system...

3. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

I'm not the most competent and invested in CM conservative style to give any sort of non-humorous rating, if someone like Manton contradicts me you should just go with his opinion. I think I do, however, have a pretty good nose to sniff out what is deemed conservative but elegant in a variety of countries, although I'd often be hard pressed to go into detail about why something does not work. There's a funny text by Wittgenstein about "the well dressed gentleman" communicating with his tailor with "nooon" or "that's good" but that's neither here not there.

as for maomao: I liked his brown (cotton or linen?) suit but not this one so sue me, still no place here.

Just to restate the goal of the thread as I understand it: preeminent forum posters with wilder, dandyish styles and the general Pitti-peacock popularity of the last few yrs have massively influenced the CM members and most cannot pull it off properly as they lack basic experience and understanding of what exactly is appropriate and moved to rule-breaking a little too quickly (not that anyone needs to), this thread is a back to basics, fail-proof guide that anyone can pick up and learn from. That preeminent rule breakers may manage to break said rules successfully is irrelevant.

1 person likes this.
  4. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

fuuma, just curious if you saw my picture reply to your critique, and what, if any, bearing it had on your critique. thanks.

5. Ivar

Ivar Well-Known Member

Maomao's outfit is great if you think of it as decadent clubwear, but yes, obviously not tasteful by any meaningful definition.

Nicely put.

6. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

I gave the post tumbs up so as not to clutter the thread, totally works with navy wool tie and oxford shirt.

7. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

I gotta say, award for most-improved has to go to RDiaz. His recent fits have been quite good.

QFT. Wish more people heeded this.

1 person likes this.
  8. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

+1 on RDiaz looking great.

I don't think this thread is supposed to be looks that are easy to imitate. My impression is, attractive and interesting without being flashy or demanding attention. Articulate without being brash. I think maomao fits this definition. Sure there are suede loafers and an open shirt. But it's very simple. If I passed this person on the street in the summer, I wouldn't think it's a particularly loud outfit. Trust me, at Pitti you wouldn't even be able to hear this through the din or pattern clash and red shoes.

2 people like this.
  9. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

I disagree but we should take this elsewhere (isn't there like a cm dressing philosophy thread or something like that? I know I made one but there might be something equivalent that was more active recently), I dunno about you but whenever I see too much text in this thread without pics I just skip it, I think people want to see pictures + terse and concrete comments on said pictures.

10. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

That's what I thought/hoped.

11. bertie

bertie Well-Known Member

So you do not think a traditional country shirt goes with a donegal suit (which some might argue is a traditional country suit)? Is it just the shirt pattern or is there some additional discordance?

12. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

sorry, i did not check back for the thumb. thanks for the reply, and glad you agreed it was all congruent.

13. Loathing

Loathing Well-Known Member

What?
    I would say that suit is the archetypal good-taste linen suit. Very classic Italian cut (Liverano?); great dark blue cloth (IMO better than navy), looks like great Irish linen. I think St Mantony would approve of the cloth.
    Braces possibly "a bit much", but no way in bad taste. Actually they're v. useful in the summer because they allow looser trousers, thus more comfort / less sweat.
    Going sans-tie is fine when off-duty and when it's hot. A linen suit is generally "off-duty" anyway, so a non-issue. His shirt collar is a bit awry, but so what?
    Suede loafers -- perfect good taste. IMO would be better minus tassels & plus socks. That's the only complaint.
    With tiny adjustments, this is solid good taste on a hot summer's day.

14. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

The shirt is not a problem. It's the whole get-up. Too Oliver Twist. Even if the line between dress and costume is fuzzy and grey, this outfit has clearly stepped over it.

15. mafoofan

Agree. Looks like shit. Don't understand what is supposed to be admirable about it.

2 people like this.
  16. mafoofan

These are all disgusting.

1 person likes this.
  17. mafoofan

Nooooo. You cannot wear a purple tie with a purple sweater, and then to molest the corpse, include purple in your pocket square.

Final score: :foo:

In case nobody remembers--that is not good.

18. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Not at all, the solids are not great and the paisleys are bad but the ones in the bottom row to the right are nice.

3 people like this.
  19. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Well-Known Member

What are the types of ties you'd think suitable to be paired with an odd sports jacket? Reppe stripes and solids? I've always had a personal preference for neat prints and certain paisleys. Admittedly, I'm not interested in any of the paisleys there but the 'midnight blue' one.

Ones I think are okay and quite palatable are located on the bottom row: third from left, and second and third from right.

20. mafoofan

That tie is fine with a suit or odd jacket. Madder is very versatile. Decent pairing of colors, though your pattern matching could use improvement. Between the square and jacket, you need something less dense. Also, one could stand to be lighter or darker. Think I said it before--but the jacket would be better if more odd jackety. Final score: :foo::foo: