1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. clapeyron

clapeyron Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  2. RDiaz

RDiaz Well-Known Member

So if you're 29 you can't pull them off, but once you turn 30 it's alright?

I want moar of them now. [​IMG]

3. Pingson

Pingson Well-Known Member

I finally feel good about pushing 44. Thank you my friend! :fonz:

4. clapeyron

clapeyron Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  5. Victor Elfo

Victor Elfo Well-Known Member

Damn! It will take me almost three decades until I can purchase my first tassel...

6. Pingson

Never, never will I wear tassel loafers..

7. add911_11

add911_11 Well-Known Member

Haha really? :foo:

8. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

It seems to me, as an admittedly young person who's never worn a three-piece suit, that the trick would be to treat the vest as something that makes the suit less conservative, n'est pas? I see a reasonable number of young guys who assume the vest adds to the seriousness of the ensemble (this makes them appear to be in somebody else's costume), but I don't think it does. I reckon if you want to be taken 100% seriously as a young guy, then the third piece is a mistake. I happen to really like this photo of one of the Armoury guys,* and I think it works because the guy looks young and not-overly straightlaced, but the clothes are 100% conservative. I think of it as akin to the look I'm going for -- clothes with a sense of dignity and restraint, even though by their nature they stick out.

[​IMG]

Of course, I think of tassel loafers the same way -- you have to have a sense of humor about them.

*I'm self-aware enough to know that "I happen to really like this photo of one of the Armoury guys" is a pretty common shoal for #menswear to run aground on, and admit that I may totally change my mind. Also, the short end of the tie is still somehow showing.

1 person likes this.
  9. add911_11

add911_11 Well-Known Member

^^^^ really is the key that for a 3 piece it needs to be perfectly tailored, so whole package is presentable and in harmony. But how many young guys can afford a good bespoke suit?

With the above example, Alan was wearing an Italian bespoke 3 piece, with good body shape anyone can look really good at it. Doesn't need to be old or young, it is just ugly when someone with a belly tries to wear a waistcoat.

10. Pingson

Well if the suit is well-tailored is should hide any gut a man has.

But the quote above brings me to a thing few people realise - nothing makes wonders for how good you look in your clothes as being in good shape. So actually spending some of your clothing budget on a gym membership is likely money very well spent!

11. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

And thus, the reason I've never worn a 3-pc suit -- though you can take out "bespoke" if you like. That said, of course, you can still look a little out of place and uncomfortable in an impeccably tailored suit that costs more than my... well, I don't even own a car. My girlfriend's car, certainly.

Honestly, I think three-piece suits look fine on heavier guys -- if the fit is right.

12. VRaivio

VRaivio Well-Known Member

Whoa, if that trouser fly sprezz continues, we just might see skin soon.

'Dude, what the hell is that?'
    'That's my casual penis, it's casual because it ain't staring at you in the eye.'

13. sprout2

sprout2 Well-Known Member

Good. Your tailor and I should hang out.

14. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

It has to do with the fit, not the cut. Since the waistcoat is a tight-fitting garment, a bad fit is easy to notice. Also, the length has to be just right. Most RTW waistcoats I see are too short.

15. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

Really? The issue I tend to see is the combination of pants sitting on the hips worn with a vest, leaving acres of shirt (and belt buckle) on display. If you're wearing a vest, you should be wearing trousers which sit at the waist.

1 person likes this.
  16. mcbrown

mcbrown Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

17. Loathing

Loathing Well-Known Member

A waistcoat is actually one of the best ways to control a rogue paunch or potbelly.

18. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

Imagine how bad he would look if he were wearing his pants below his belly. This is about the tastiest lemonade you can make from those lemons.

4 people like this.
  19. mcbrown

mcbrown Well-Known Member

Exactly. A properly cut (i.e. sans ultra-low-rise trousers) three-piece suit is probably the absolute best thing a more, ahem, big-boned gentleman can wear.

Waistcoats shouldn't be worn by men with big bellies? What utter, utter nonsense.

1 person likes this.
  20. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

Sb - both are an issue. I see plenty of waistcoats that would show shirt no matter the trousers. Your point I well taken though.

Nothing wrong with a thicker waisted man wearing a 3pc though.

1 person likes this.