1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

We would need a new emoticon

2. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Well-Known Member

Here's one you can C&P:

[​IMG]

3. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

how long are we going to serkle jerkle the scoring system before someone poasts a fit? :)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  4. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

this

5. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

This tie knot turned out better this time I think:

[​IMG]

Sorry for the dark lighting - it's really hard to get a pic that represents the color of the tie accurately. In more light the tie always comes off as a brighter reddish orange...it's actually more like the color you see here. The coat isn't that dark a navy though.

6. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

Notice I re-did the description of a :foo::foo: outfit. There should be less need for a half point between :foo::foo: and :foo::foo::foo: now, which is where I think many fairly decent, but not perfect, outfits will fall.

7. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

Ok, I'll go. This is the same outfit from earlier, minus the pocket square, which wasn't working. I'm just hoping I don't have to burn anything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. mafoofan

Courage! I like it.

This is very close to :foo::foo::foo:. You have done a great job of pairing patterns. That is a hurdle that 80-90% seem unable to clear, which always leads to ultimate fail. Color-wise, the tie, shirt, and jacket are unimpeachable together. Good job. The one big question mark is the square. It is hard to tell what color it is in the photo. It could either be passable, or an eyesore. However, what is definitively wrong about it is the way you've ruined the poof. It's really more of a crumple.

I think many of the other judges would give you :foo::foo::foo:, but I am forced to give you :foo::foo:. Know this though, it is a very high :foo::foo:, and could easily get to the next level. Heck, with a better photo and an adjustment to the square, I could see this pushing :foo::foo::foo::foo:.

Final score: :foo::foo:

9. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

Ouch. Foo is going to be brutal.

I gotta figure out my camera setup better so I can get in on the carnage. I'm sure I'll have to burn many things.

10. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Wow, he gave it more :foo: than I would have. I personally think the shirt is hideous.

11. mafoofan

Glad you ejected the pocket square, but the shirt is a fail. When it comes to striped shirts, there are the basic varieties (the candy stripe, the pin stripe, the bengal stripe, etc.) and the fancy sorts, like the one you're wearing. The worst type of fancy stripes is where the stripes themselves appear to be outlined by a darker color. Why? Their complexity does not juxtapose well with other pieces. That's why they are often relegated to fashion shirts that are meant to be worn alone. In this case, they also pose a contextual problem: too sharp, too city for an odd jacket, wool tie, and flannel trousers. Really, it's best to avoid fancy stripes altogether. They don't play nice. The other problem with your outfit is that the tie is really quite banal in context. It's a perfectly nice tie, but the blue is too close to the navy of your blazer and the brown is too close to your shoes. Would have been great with, say, a light grey flannel suit and a plain blue shirt. Final score: :foo::foo:

12. unbelragazzo

Thanks for the comments, foo. The square is the Rubinacci samurai square in black and tan. Rather than try to take a better pic of it myself, I'll just link these, which I think represent accurately:

http://downeastandout.com/post/36811440423/luca-educates

but it's basically kind of parchament-colored. I thought the hint of orange was a good partner for the tie.

Agree, the fold is pretty wimpy in my pic.

13. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

This is much better -- far more harmonious. I don't love the shirt, but what you have here hangs together in a way it didn't before.

Goes to show that an empty pocket can be better than a bad square.

1 person likes this.
  14. mafoofan

You will all soon learn that pocket square usage has an exceedingly high beta. A fumbled attempt can easily ruin an otherwise great outfit.

1 person likes this.
  15. unbelragazzo

My shirt, pB? Seems pretty unobjectionable to me...y u no like?

16. patrickBOOTH

Just for my own knowledge, what would my fit from the other day rate? The one with the white linen square you loved so much.

17. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

Was also wondering this--perhaps he was referring to msulinski's?

18. patrickBOOTH

19. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

20. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

To be honest I don't find those collars very flattering. They make a skinny neck look skinnier and a fat neck look fatter. It's hard to judge here but I urge caution.