1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Hampton

Hampton Well-Known Member

Finally some pics, very nice canta. Perfect fit and colors.

2. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

There's nice and simple. MoP buttons on the jacket? And temperatures up in London? We'll be getting your weather the coming days.

3. Ivar

Ivar Well-Known Member

Regarding the odd charcoal pants discussion a couple of pages back:

Odd charcoal pants have been worn by many great dressers over the years. Anyone who professes otherwise either hasn't done his homework or has bad taste in role models. Two examples should suffice:

[​IMG]

Sinatra and Davis in 1960.

[​IMG]

Moore in 1985.

1 person likes this.
  4. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Well-Known Member

Which fabrics did you use to make up the coat? Smith Finnmeresco? And by whom?

5. Lovelace

Lovelace Well-Known Member

Well, maybe the argument isn't as much if it has been done in the past, more does it look good.

If you are wearing an odd jacket you should aim for contrast between jacket and trousers. Youe aim is to highlight the non-suitiness of the ensemble. Brown seems more flexible in this regard,

6. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

Good to know he's alright in real life. His content laden posts and even most of his polemical ones are very educational (as posted earlier, agree or disagree, they force you to understand your own preferences).
    I think people are too quick to throw civility out the window because it is the internet. I'd even posit that incivility is less excusable on a forum as it is easier to remain detached from the people you are arguing with, you have the benefit of reflection (editing posts, time to think about your replies, etc), and it's unlikely that incivility will produce any benefit (displaying anger and frustration in real life is obviously useful).

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  7. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Well-Known Member

100% agree.

8. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

That's a very good point, but I think we have to also remember that the people we are talking about are just human. That is another fact that can sometimes be hidden by the medium in which we operate. I think understanding of that can go far. As long as a person isn't so understanding that he lets himself be pushed around by personalities like foo.

9. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

In any case I think we can all agree that incivility is in extremely poor taste?

5 people like this.
  10. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

11. Ivar

Ivar Well-Known Member

Mafoofan made that argument a couple of pages back:

Dark grey and navy make an excellent pairing in a subdued, minimalist way. More broadly, while I would agree that mid-grey pants are more versatile (whatever that's worth ...), I can definitely think of situations where dark grey pants would be a better -- sharper, sexier, more urbane -- choice.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2013
  12. Sander

Sander Well-Known Member

Very, very good. Only thing I'd change is the tie. While it fits wonderfully colorwise, I think it's a little too shiny and "formal". A repp would have been great imho. But that's really absolute nitpicking.

In both examples light grey odd jackets are being worn, making mid grey a less attractive option. If the jackets were any other color, mid-grey would have been better imho.

13. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Well-Known Member

Agreed about the tie. The solid twill comes off as similar in scale to the micro stripe of the shirt. Additionally, neither the jacket nor the pants is very heavy on texture so that, at least in pictures, it all looks about the same. The best way I can think of to describe it is that there's plenty of harmony, but the melody is subdued if not absent.

This isn't to say that it's bad though.

14. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Well-Known Member

WTF? I go away for a little while and there's 150+ posts? No thank you. As the wise Lt. Murtaugh once said:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. EFV

EFV Well-Known Member

This is awkward. Admittedly not as well executed Cantabrigian, but almost eerily close in palette.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  16. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Well-Known Member

That beard on the first shot made me think I was remembering the wrong person.

17. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

Canta, that's a nice fit. Love all the texture.

18. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

Cantabrigian - great looking fit. not sure who you were talking about, but i am not butthurt in the least, and i am still unsure about my fit. but i think we can leave it for now. i have what to think about.

without question.

i believe the kids are using this one now-a-days.

[​IMG]

19. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Cantabrigian, based on the close-up of the trousers, I'd say they looked more medium grey and nothing like charcoal. But obviously, what with lighting and cameras and computer screens, it is much more likely whatever you say it is. That said, the jacket plus the trousers in that photo look quite good together--because of the contrast. If the pants were in fact much darker, the outfit gets markedly worse. So, I'm not seeing how it proves charcoal makes more sense than light or medium grey in such instances.

Also, everyone else should notice that the reason why C.'s outfit looks good is because he followed so many of the classic menswear "rules" that used to be better understood around here. There is nothing particularly innovative, rebellious, creative, or earth-shattering about what he's put together. Yet, it's better that way.

I find the notion of trying to make an odd jacket outfit more formal by making it more suit-like very odd. Generally, I think it's better to embrace whatever it is you've committed to doing. Conviction, even if not perfectly on the mark, is better than confusion when it comes to style.

1 person likes this.
  20. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Well-Known Member

For those new to this arena, here's my take on why Cantabrigians outfit looks good:

1) The odd jacket is obviously an odd jacket; it's made from a more textured fabric, and has casual details like patch pockets and MoP buttons;

2) The shirt has a white ground and thin pale blue stripes, which is suitably casual. Also, the stripes provide one prominent pattern to prevent monotony;

3) The tie, while solid, has an earthy brown ground, which fits the casual aesthetic; and

4) The trousers, while dark gray, provide sufficient contrast with the shirt and jacket.

CEP

P.S. This is why I have to agree with Foo that jackets and shorts do not work well together. At all. You end up mixing pieces of hugely varying levels of formality within a single ensemble (jackets rate high on the formal scale, shorts are completely informal). It's the same readon why an orphaned suit jacket with jeans looks bad. If you can get ahold of it, Vox's essay on Coherence in Dressing was without doubt, the most helpful piece I have read in a long time.

1 person likes this.