1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Well-Known Member

Altea.

2. Omar1223

Omar1223 Well-Known Member

acrid, i dont get what and why you are trying to argue. you posted a picture and asked "eligible?"

many posters have said no and now are posting your problems with this thread.

why post here at all?

3. Wallcloud

Wallcloud Well-Known Member

Moo, Is shirt white or blue? Seems like a blue shirt and a white PS may have worked better. Perhaps a dark green tie with a similar pattern to the tie in that pic would have looked nice as well.

4. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

Manton, do you have a critique of Moo's fits? I, for one, would love to hear your thoughts.

5. Wallcloud

6. emptym

emptym Well-Known Member

Tactical actually did post "F--- you," and it was deleted. Imo it was partly in jest and partly to thumb his nose at the man(ton).

So while I disagree w/ Manton on quite a few things, I do agree with him that this thread and the US in general are full of "free-thinking, spirited individuals" who define free thought and spirit as thumbing their noses at "the man." But the US is full of such folk precisely because our culture raises everyone to think this way. We all think we're rebels. Such is the lovable, frustrating American sheep.

I recognize and enjoy your jokes quite often. But I think you've actually been ernest here and are claiming to be joking now mainly to obscure your genuine lack of understanding of what others here consider to be good taste. Just be like me and admit your lack of understanding.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  7. zalb916

zalb916 Well-Known Member

Well, that, perhaps, changes my opinion.

8. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

here are mine. i lol'ed at the photo bomb for starters. some i liked, other i did not. i think a lot of them might have been posted at the beginning of the thread, but i could be misremembering.

:)

9. RDiaz

RDiaz Well-Known Member

Alright, so after looking at the really good fits, I believe what mine were lacking most to be in good taste was subtlety. Of course quality of my items leaves a lot to be desired but that's in line with my income level and I don't think I can do much about that. So common sense tells me that since most of my odd jackets and all of my squares are patterned, I should buy more solid shirts and ties. In fact I don't have any solid ties besides a pair of knits and I think that's a considerable weak point. I'm also looking at expanding my arsenal of solid jackets. Am I heading in the right direction?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  10. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Well-Known Member

I still think posting in this thread is better than WAYWT. Which is preferred, option 1, option 2 or some other pocket square entirely? Suit is Harrisons woolen flannel, tie is also wool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

I like 2 better

Beautiful tie

1 person likes this.
  12. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

I think everyone should just post in WAYWRN. There are too many WAYWRN-threads.

2 for me as well.

13. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

No.

When tactical debuted in this thread, he posted something awful, was told it was awful in polite terms by foo and myself, and I--in addition--explained what the thread was about and told him why outfits like that were never going to get the love he wanted, except from people who don't know what they're doing.

He later said "since you and foo are a-holes, I am going to post things I know you will hate just to irritate you."

So, he has drawn a map. Written a manifesto as it were. But to you it is still all about my paranoia. Like I said, obtuse. Willfully blind.

He's just the one who's been the most explicit about it, by the way.

Anyway, as I have also said, this thread is like a structure that is constantly covered with graffiti. I agree that some people do it to be dicks and others do it because they have no idea what they are doing. They think their graffiti constitutes a beautiful mural. Whatever, the outcome is the same. most of the wall is ugly as shit and cleaning it up would be a full time job. If there were a Raphael or a Da Vinci underneath, the effort would be worth it, but there isn't, so it isn't.

14. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

More than beautiful. That tie is erection inducing.

15. LEVOOSH

LEVOOSH Well-Known Member

VBC Mid Grey Flannel
    Drakes Navy with Green Stripe Grenadine
    MTM Blue box check shirt
    Burgundy paisley wool square

[​IMG]

Details

[​IMG]

16. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Well-Known Member

I think it's a nice suit and the tie has nice colors but why push that pattern on our eyes?
    This is not in bad taste, but it's all around soft and dull.
    Did you shave your neck? Thank you. Again, it would be nicer if you posted smaller images. You're zooming in on these tiny patterns around your chest (tiny checks, tiny circles, tiny neck hairs) and blowing it up too big.
    Yeah, it's bad!
    The brown tie is better with that dark suit, but the dark pocket square is ugly.
    It's good taste!
    It's good taste!
    I don't get why you're wearing those dusty shoes and trousers with that jacket. Get outta here!
    For all of Mr. Moo's outfits, there are too many colors and patterns and fabrics, all zoomed in on his photos, to make any sense. Maybe they are in good taste, but why should I believe it when the photos are all about "how many disparate elements can I jam and hopefully balance together?" That is off-topic. But BTW, your photos are really nice, and I really appreciate that you do a great job of capturing those textures and colors and patterns really well.
    Good taste, and yeah #2 is better.

17. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Well-Known Member

BTW, in stitches, take note: Mr. Moo takes the photo from a bit further away than you do, and he crops and blurs the neck hair. This is good taste.

18. NORE

NORE Well-Known Member

I just understood this question, sorry. I do it so the sleeve/cuff on my non-camera hand can be seen. It also crates shape since light is allowed to pass thru that space between my arm and waist. Perhaps I need to think up another pose. :)

1 person likes this.
  19. Wallcloud

Was gonna give it a go today with a gray DB, blue shirt and green madder tie. Instead I am staying home with sick daughter and wearing Zubaz. May post pic tomorrow.

20. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

@Manton - Besides tactical and o/o, who do you think is trying to fuck with you itt? Of the top of my head, the people posting fits in this thread have been me, gdl, cep, sb, stitch, Diaz, nore, Fred...sorry if I'm forgetting anybody. Not that all the fits have been home runs, but 1) average quality much better than waywrn 2) I think everyone posting in good faith within the intent of the thread.