1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

white tie with DJ

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Allen, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Gent

Gent Well-Known Member

Academic and diplomatic practices are separate from general practice. In the UK the black vest with a dress coat was a winter time and Court mourning garment. The Little Dook had one by Scholte, as already mentioned in this thread, made long after 1900.

True enough, but academia is nearly all one can resort to with the current state of formal dress. Just pointing out that in very specific circles, it's still alive, which I find heart-warming.

2. clubman

clubman Well-Known Member

True enough, but academia is nearly all one can resort to with the current state of formal dress. Just pointing out that in very specific circles, it's still alive, which I find heart-warming.

Yes. Three cheers! It'll remain in certain specific places.

3. Will C.

Will C. Well-Known Member

4. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Well-Known Member

What I have taken from this thread is that a notch lapel dinner jacket was good enough for James Bond.

5. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

I thought I'd revive this thread with something I noticed last night. I was leafing through an illustrated edition of selected Sherlock Holmes stories featuring the original art work by Sidney Paget. In The Hound of the Baskervilles, lo, there were Dr. Watson and Sir Henry Baskerville wearing short dinner jackets along with white ties and vests/waistcoats--an interesting early (1901) attestation to the practice of pairing white tie and vest with the DJ.

6. clubman

clubman Well-Known Member

Long time, no hear on this. Presumably, Manton has learned his lesson the hard way; what?

Clubman.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  7. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

Nice to see you back, Nick!

On the matter of historical precedents for the notch/step lapel dinner jacket, one interesting example I found in the volume for the 1920s in the series All-American Ads published by Taschen Books some years back. On pages 2-3 there is a spread from a 1927 ad for Chesterfield cigarettes. In it, a smiling young lady is lighting the cigarettes of two young men, both in black tie. One is wearing a notch-lapel jacket, the other a peak lapel, so obviously the artist was aware of the difference, and the notch lapel was seeing at least some use during the sartorial "Golden Age" of the interwar years.