1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Which would look better?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spindoctor, Apr 3, 2011.

1. spindoctor

spindoctor Active Member

Which out of these two would look better/smarter:

1. A cheap navy pinstripe suit from Burton's with plain pink shirt. The suit looks cheap (creases up very easily) and is quite uncomfortable to wear.

2. A nice shirt from the likes of let's say Eton or TM Lewin with black trousers and without a tie. I was thinking about wearing a premium shirt with a nice tie from Canali without a jacket is that sort of look acceptable?

Thanks

2. Nicola

Nicola Well-Known Member

Acceptable for what?

The Royal wedding?

A night at the pub?

3. mrjames

mrjames Well-Known Member

jacket is always smarter than bare shirt

shirts are technically 'underwear'- and if you wear a shirt/tie/trousers then the part where you tuck your shirt in will be scruffy

£20 of tailoring will do wonders for the cut of the suit btw

4. spindoctor

spindoctor Active Member

Acceptable for what?

The Royal wedding?

A night at the pub?

For work. I'm a field sales executive. I have to go to businesses and meet business owners/managers on a regular basis. My boss doesn't wear a suit just a very nice pressed shirt with either black or navy trousers. He goes buying a suit is too much hassle and its very difficult for him to buy a suit that fits him properly and he doesn't have the time to go down the MTM route. I have the same problem plus I can't afford MTM at this moment in time. At my interview my boss was wearing a Howick suit that was really a bit too baggy and I personally think he looks better with his shirts which are very nice.

5. spindoctor

spindoctor Active Member

jacket is always smarter than bare shirt

shirts are technically 'underwear'- and if you wear a shirt/tie/trousers then the part where you tuck your shirt in will be scruffy

£20 of tailoring will do wonders for the cut of the suit btw

Does it have to be a suit Jacket do you think or can you get away with a smart jacket? Finding suit jackets in my size 34R is near impossible.

6. Nicola

Nicola Well-Known Member

What do your customers wear? You want to avoid over/under dressing them.

I'd avoid the black pants. Grey,charcoal maybe other colours.