1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Which one?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Jovan, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Jovan

Jovan Well-Known Member

Looking at two 1960s era mod suits on eBay. I can't decide on which one though. This one has perfect measurements for the trousers and the sleeve length is excellent, but I'm just worried it may be too big, even if it is a very fitted 40". I really do like the fabric and button stance though. This other one is a 38", but the trousers will need alterations as they're 35" at the waist. The lapels are slightly big though, so I'm not sure. Also, the colour isn't my usual choice. So, help me decide based on looks and fit. And, if you outbid me, I'll kill you. My personal measurements for reference... Chest: 37" Waist: 31.5" Inseam: 31-32", though I sometimes go shorter. Shoulders: 20" across

2. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

are you looking for a "mod" suit? if so, neither of those fit the bill.

otherwise, I would guess the blue one will be slightly too big in the chest for you. I have a 38" chest and like my suits to measure 20" pit-pit. I find that a 4" large-than-m- chest jacket fits far too loose. The other one has better sizing for you but I also feel the lapels are way too wide. I would pass on both and wait for something better to come along.

3. Jovan

Jovan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm starting to think that, too.

4. skalogre

skalogre Well-Known Member

First of all I must express my moral outrage at the fact that there is yet another 38 on the forum. Just what I need, more competition, grrrrr.

As far as the suits, IMHO you should wait for something that would be closer to what you are looking for. Unless the suits are dirt cheap - in which case I would say get some shirts instead while you are waiting for the ideal suit [​IMG]

5. lameduck

lameduck Active Member

Try finding a 36S!

6. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Well-Known Member

are you looking for a "mod" suit? if so, neither of those fit the bill.

Agreed. You'd do well to let these go and look for something else.

7. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

What features makes a suit 'mod'? Where's RJMan when he might be useful?

8. skalogre

skalogre Well-Known Member

You see, you need to ask the RJCat for permission first [​IMG]

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

Think less extreme Thom Browne in darker shades and a small hat to top it off or perhaps a duster raincoat.

10. Jovan

Jovan Well-Known Member

I'd like a Sacque Suit, but they're out of my price range despite being a good price for what they are. Maybe Mr. Cunningham can hook me up with some old stock? [​IMG])))

11. Get Smart

What features makes a suit 'mod'?
    typically a hybrid of traditional English with Italian: -high buttoning, usually 3 sometimes 2 button -double vent -hacking pockets, ticket pocket or both -flat front trousers -thin lapels -most importantly a slim silhouette. -Tonik fabric by Dormeuil very popular if going bespoke but generally a wool/mohair blend -Italian shoes are generally preferred with suit the most mod RTW label I've seen is Ozwald Boateng who's fit/fabrics/details are all spot on *if you really want to get "purist mod" from the late 50s era, then the jacket is probably going to be a "bum freezer" aka Thom Browne short

12. Jovan

Jovan Well-Known Member

Hacking pockets?

13. Get Smart

Hacking pockets?

the side pockets are angled upwards rather than being straight

14. Jovan

Jovan Well-Known Member

Oh. My favourite suit's coat is like that.