1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Which of these watches would you trade a Big Pilot for?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Jul 21, 2008.

1. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Well-Known Member

For heaven's sake:

1. Keep the BP, then...

2. Buy the Reverso.

- B

2. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

For heaven's sake:

1. Keep the BP, then...

2. Buy the Reverso.

- B

That is so not an option!

3. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

I've actually done a 180 on the Royal Oak myself. Used to completely hate it, now have warmed up to the point where I could see it on my wrist sometime in the future. It was way ahead of its time, and in a lot of ways the rest of the watch world has caught up to it, so to speak.

I envy your ability to be in a position to decide amongst those watches.

4. bmulford

bmulford Well-Known Member

Reverso.

The RO is just too ugly to function, and the Rolex?? It's almost like you threw that in to force a decision between the JLC and AP.

5. lee_44106

lee_44106 Well-Known Member

Is the JLC automatic watch? I have the Reverso Duo, it's handwind, which I find annoying. I've own it for 8 years and worn it less than 3 times for that reason.

The AP Royal Oak is very distinctive watch. It's a right size for your wrist. Sure it's overpriced, but what isn't. It's also iconoclastic. I have the day/date/moonphase version in a two tone.

6. remo72tg

remo72tg Well-Known Member

Keep the BP.. it's iconic.

Agreed..Better than all three combined.

7. SirSuturesALot

SirSuturesALot Well-Known Member

8. wq1999

wq1999 Well-Known Member

I like the JLC, although I tried the XGT size and find it too long for my wrist. A Reverso Duo is definitely on my short list.

9. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

None of the above. Keep the BigP.

If you do go with the tide and decide for the JLC, make sure that you try it on. The XGT case is a horrendous fit on most wrist in my experience. Proportions are just wrong

10. The Gimp

The Gimp Active Member

None of the above. Keep the BigP.

+1. The EXPI is a close second, but you'll regret selling the BigP in the long run.

11. mdg137

mdg137 Well-Known Member

reverso, no question!

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

Their design philosophy is just to make the case bigger and bigger. If you make a dated design 50 mm, all of a sudden it's modern again! [​IMG]
    It seems to me very much a product of the '70s. Genta's designs have always looked dated to me.

13. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Well-Known Member

Keep the BP.. it's iconic.
    I like the BP but don't really understand this argument.

Seems to me like it's a bit too new still to qualify for icon status.

The recentish surge of interest in B-Uhr watches, I'd be willing to call that design something of an icon but the IWC version doesn't hew too closely to the original.

14. pg600rr

pg600rr Well-Known Member

15. Thurston

Thurston Well-Known Member

Having had an early version of the Big Pilot that I bought new and ultimately sold, I can empathize with the struggle of whether to say goodbye to it. You know that I did in favor of the 5001 and have never regretted it. If you're seriously considering it, then that means it is time to let it go.

Among the three choices you posted, the only one I've owned is the Explorer. I flipped that watch sooner than anything else I've ever owned. It was really neither fish nor fowl to me. It was sort of a compromise watch across all categories. The one thing that really bugged me was that the numerals should be luminous. They look like they are... you expect them to be... and nothing. The watch is useless in very low light.

I'd suggest one of the white gold Reversos with the belle epoque numerals on a black dial. I love those and I think the Reverso aesthetic suits your style.

[​IMG]

16. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Well-Known Member

The XGT case is a horrendous fit on most wrist in my experience. Proportions are just wrong

+10. Very true. The designs are often beautiful but the watch just doesn't sit right. JLC can learn something from Parmigiani in this regard.

17. sammy

sammy Well-Known Member

I really hate big bulky watches and would therefore choose the Explorer of the three choices. I love JLC, and would get the Reverso in the Classique size.

18. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

the explorer is kinda....eh ...for rolexes, just doesnt do it for me.

I like my datejust and daytona. Had a submariner prior to them and enjoyed that also, just too big and too sportwatch to wear as a dress watch.

19. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

The Jaeger Le Coultre Reverso Grande Date. It is far and away my favorite of the three. That deco face is very handsome. And, once you get it, let me know the best place and price for one. I want one too! I would even like one that was previously owned.
    [​IMG] 1. Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso Grande Date

20. EL72

EL72 Well-Known Member

So what does a Big Pilot look like so I can see what's being traded?