1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Which of these frozen pizzas did you prefer as a child?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Joseph K. Bank, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

While I have not met them in person I don't feel that the people who responded to this poll are uncivil.
    I entirely agree.

2. Joseph K. Bank

Joseph K. Bank Well-Known Member

I entirely agree.
    I am glad you agree because I feel that because a person couldn't afford to go to Pizza Hut or maybe was only able to afford bread sticks at Little Caesars it doesn't make them less civilized.

3. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

I am glad you agree because I feel that because a person couldn't afford to go to Pizza Hut or maybe was only able to afford bread sticks at Little Caesars it doesn't make them less civilized.
    Whoa. That is a bit of a track change -- this thread was not about people eating frozen pizza because it was all they could afford. It was about preferences, not exigencies. There was this one fast food place I remember going to sometimes when I was quite young. They sold a lot of fish, and so had lemon wedges with the ketchup packets and whatnot. My mother would sometimes take me for a treat, and we'd have the $1.99 special with cups of water to drink. After squeezing the lemon on our fish, we put it in the water with a packet of sugar -- voila, lemonade! Being poor is not shameful, it's merely a practical catastrophe. Still, we never had frozen pizza simply because it was cheap -- my mother always maintained that she could better stretch the budget making things from scratch than buying it prepared (which at least at that time seemed to be true). Since my father worked, she had the time to add the value into the product rather than a factory, and thus saved some there. These days efficiencies are such that it may no longer be the case, single parents especially just don't have the time and so do the best they can for their kids. If that's a frozen pizza it's a frozen pizza and God forbid anyone should mock. I certainly would not, because I know that in the process some good lessons can be taught, like how to drink lemonade from an empty cup. ~ Huntsman

4. Mazda

Mazda Well-Known Member

W
    Still, we never had frozen pizza simply because it was cheap -- my mother always maintained that she could better stretch the budget making things from scratch than buying it prepared (which at least at that time seemed to be true)

Up until this post I thought you two were having some sort of Muppets old guys in the balcony upper crust in-joke banter.

But for the record, your mother is absolutely correct. Made from scratch meals using raw ingredients, while far more time consuming and more expensive in the short term (Ie, stocking up at the grocery store is pricey compared to buying a 3.99 happy meal or a single 2 dollar frozen pizza) meals as such are far cheaper in the end and far healthier than feeding your fat ass kids microwave meals and mcdonalds.

Apparently no one in America aside from your mother and I know this fact.

then again I ate taco bell tonight so I am a damn hypocrite.

And also did anyone else have "We make it you bake it" pizza places? I vaguely remember those as a small kid.

5. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Stouffer's French Bread Pizzas.

+1
    An upscale version of the "pizza boats" served in California public elementary schools. Yum.

As a latchkey adolescent, the Stouffer's pizzas were a staple.

6. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

I have never had a frozen pizza.

I've had them, but we didn't eat them in my house when I was growing up. To this day, I'm indifferent to pizza, save for the rare really good one.

7. Mazda

Mazda Well-Known Member

speaking of public school pizza, anyone else have the rectangle shaped, thin pizzas?

How about the fiestada pizza that was hexagon shapped and had cheddar cheese on it?

Was this a Texas public school thing?

8. infinittiii

infinittiii Member

honestly, frozen pizza is pretty nasty

9. Joseph K. Bank

Joseph K. Bank Well-Known Member

Still, we never had frozen pizza simply because it was cheap -- my mother always maintained that she could better stretch the budget making things from scratch than buying it prepared (which at least at that time seemed to be true). Since my father worked, she had the time to add the value into the product rather than a factory, and thus saved some there. These days efficiencies are such that it may no longer be the case, single parents especially just don't have the time and so do the best they can for their kids. If that's a frozen pizza it's a frozen pizza and God forbid anyone should mock. I certainly would not, because I know that in the process some good lessons can be taught, like how to drink lemonade from an empty cup.

~ Huntsman

I was a latch-key kid growing up and my mother didn't have a lot or time or energy to experiment with different recipes especially ethnic food such as pizza as both my parents had to work because they wanted to send me to a private high school. Often after school I would make frozen pizza because it was easy to make and available. Sometimes I would experiment and make my own recipes around the Ellio's and Stouffer's products such as pork roll between two pieces of Ellio's, a Stouffer's French Bread Pizza hoagie and with inspiration from Yan Can Cook a frozen pizza and seasonal vegetable stir-fry which was pretty good. I don't feel any shame in the fact that I ate and enjoyed both of these classic American products.

10. odoreater

odoreater Well-Known Member

Eating frozen pizza and homecooked meals is not mutually exclusive. Growing up, we would often have both at my house. My brother and I might make ourselves frozen pizza after school and then my mom would cook a homecooked dinner, which we would eat at 7:00 p.m. or so.

11. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Well-Known Member

I also think that there really isnt any competition between Ellio's and Stouffers because Ellio's sounds italian.

12. js4design

js4design Well-Known Member

That is awful. Wow.
    yeah it hurt quite a bit. and i still get made fun of for it every once in awhile by my friends, which hurts in a different way. [​IMG]