1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Which of the top 50 WAYWRN posters do you think have bad taste?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, Nov 25, 2009.

1. luftvier

luftvier Well-Known Member

- most importantly, have you visited another country (not one of your 50 states, no matter how different they are) more than a few times every few years - realise that Starbucks is not coffee - know what your country dial code is - & realise that the World Series is not the world series.. [​IMG]
    1. Yes, but this island is so dammed large and isolated that it's rather difficult to leave more than a few times every few years, especially when there's not a vast amount of cash left over for the travel account. 2. Starbucks drip IS coffee, just horribly over-roasted beans that have had the flavor incinerated from their poor little bean bodies, replaced instead with char, ash, and soot notes. 3.+ 001 4. This is not entirely correct. We have enough AZN and South/Cental American players to satisfy the diversity quota of a world-class event. [​IMG]
    I really don't understand how Tc Houston could even get one vote(even jokingly). To me the person with most original style that I am personally the most inspired by is Barims. PG and Mafoofan all always perfect and Vox is classic.
    It's already been noted, but I think this reflects forum sentiment against personalities or personal styles, rather than actual poor taste. Barims generally has a very creative look without any affectation or appearance of costume. It's likely due to his supreme confidence and swagger in his dress, so he's able to pull it off without looking silly. PG and Foo generally look excellent, but they are of course not without fault. Vox, as resident deity who is both omniscient and omnipotent on this forum, is naturally beyond reproach, less one wishes to blaspheme and risk eternal ban-nation to SuFu or the GQ forum. [​IMG]

2. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

It's too easy to brush off the results of a poll where 325 people voted, simply by invoking some bad faith, vendetta and other [​IMG] reasons. Obviously, there will always be some level of noise in such a poll, anonymous or not (I would contend that there is less noise than if it were public). But discarding the whole exercise because of that noise would be either silly, delusional or disingenuous.

So, let's stop mentioning that 10 or 15 people (out of 325) voted for such and such guy as some form of evidence that the more statistically significant results are flawed. First of which being that SFers overall don't seem to fault top WAYWRN posters for their taste too much. Think of it, if 15% think that X has bad taste, it also means that 8 or 9 out of 10 think that X does not have bad taste.

3. JPHardy

JPHardy Well-Known Member

That is assuming that all the people who voted have what you consider Good taste, correct?

4. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

That is assuming that all the people who voted have what you consider Good taste, correct?

We're all social animals and taking away the personality factor is ludicrous.

It is human nature to show some clemency towards someone we do appreciate or admire for personal or groupthinking reason and we do must to take account the + in the votes as well as the obvious -.

Good taste is such a minefield concept to start with without bringing in personality issues.

I didn't vote because I would have done it partly out of spite instead of giving entirely valid reasons behind my choice.

5. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

No it doesn't assume this. One could look at the stats and conclude the opposite

6. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

No it doesn't assume this. One could look at the stats and conclude the opposite

Vox populi Vox Dei....[​IMG]

7. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

What is "taste" (to you) anyway? You're just asking if they dress well? Because you can be dressed with taste and never have that little extra making you look good.

8. calisanfran

calisanfran Well-Known Member

So Parker wins the best taste poster given he has received least votes in the poll?

9. ManofKent

ManofKent Well-Known Member

I conclude that 20 odd people think you should wear Ascot's more often.

10. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Well-Known Member

1. Agreed, but do you count the 51st State (Canada)?
    - my apologies to the Ay..
    3.+ 001
    PG and Foo generally look excellent, but they are of course not without fault.
    [​IMG]

- actually it is just "1", but you get points for knowing how to dial out as this proves you know someone outside the states [​IMG]
    - I am always at fault when bukake is beimng played

So Parker wins the best taste poster given he has received least votes in the poll?
    - Hooray!

11. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

I conclude that 20 odd people think you should wear Ascot's more often.

Either that or they think it was distasteful to bring up this topic and create this poll. They are probably right if the latter, definitely clueless if the former. [​IMG]

12. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

You're going to have to create your own poll to answer that. Being the least voted for bad taste =/= being the most voted for good taste. Not sure which is better btw...

13. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

What is "taste" (to you) anyway? You're just asking if they dress well? Because you can be dressed with taste and never have that little extra making you look good.

Why do you always have to dissect everything into a semantic analysis? It means whatever it means to whoever reads the question [​IMG]

14. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Well-Known Member

You're going to have to create your own poll to answer that. Being the least voted for bad taste =/= being the most voted for good taste. Not sure which is better btw...

When is the good taste poll going up?

15. Crane's

Crane's Well-Known Member

I knew I should have posted more pics. I would easily be number one in this contest. LOL!

16. R-H

R-H Well-Known Member

1. Agreed, but do you count the 51st State (Canada)?

The U.S. can't afford us.

17. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Well-Known Member

I really don't understand how Tc Houston could even get one vote(even jokingly).

Thanks for the kind words. I'm actually surprised I didn't get more votes. [​IMG]

18. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Top 10 kitonbrioni 151 Mr. Moo 136 SoCal2NYC 99 NewYorkRanger 71 SkinnyGoomba 51 Connemara 50 PandArts 49 Holdfast 47 mafoofan 43 Neofinitia40

19. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Well-Known Member

What percentage of the people who voted for me based their vote on one particular outfit or one particular sportcoat, I wonder? Or based their vote on their dislike of my "Internet personality"? [​IMG]

20. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Well-Known Member

At this point the top 10 should be put up for the bad taste championship. Make it a public poll so we can all insult (er, provide constructive criticism to) each other out in the open.

Also, the same list of 50 should be put up for good taste, followed by the top 10.