1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Which of the 3 ensembles works the best for cocktail attire?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by aratnam, Jan 20, 2013.

1. aratnam

aratnam Member

Daveandepot1, did you mean you liked #1 in my original post?

2. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Well-Known Member

Did Andy make you buy his CD before he gave you an answer?

#4.

3. Veremund

Veremund Well-Known Member

Cocktail party = dim lighting = high contrast. Shirt and PS should be white, suit and tie as close to black as possible. Dark blue better than light grey. Pinstripe suits are for daytime business, not nighttime cocktails. You want them to Remember you, not the wacky tie.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. aratnam

aratnam Member

Makes sense- I'm going to get my black suit out.

5. RogerC

RogerC Well-Known Member

Black tie optional should, in fact, be understood as black tie non-optional. If you will burst into flames in a dinner jacket for whatever reason, however, the alternative is navy suit, black or navy tie, white shirt.

1 person likes this.
  6. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Well-Known Member

White hanky: tie options options 1-3.

Ideally, you'd have a solid black or dark grey suit with a white shirt and a solid black, dark grey or burgundy tie.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. Veremund

Oh crap, I just realised the OP said it's a black tie optional party. Dude, wear your tux!

8. Veremund

As David Mitchell says,

9. aratnam

aratnam Member

Don't want to wear my tux this time- I only have one (Zegna DB) and I wore it to last year's celebration since it actually called for full black tie.

10. Veremund

But... But... But... So does this one. Sniff, sniff. You get so few chances to break it out, how could you not. It would be cruel to leave it caged up in your closet! You monster! Free the tux! Free the tux! Free the tux! Everybody all together now! FREE THE TUX!

No? Ok, well, it was worth a shot. Wait, didn't you listen to David Mitchell?

1 person likes this.
  11. RogerC

RogerC Well-Known Member

Most people only have one. Wear it, that's what it's for. It's a uniform, not something that will make people go "there he is with the lime green smoking jacket again". Otherwise, you may consider your political correctness on this forum. :happy:

1 person likes this.
  12. aratnam

aratnam Member

13. aratnam

aratnam Member

In response to the comment about political correctness, even with my limited level of sartorial knowledge, I have an inkling that I will come off as stuffy (or worse a buffoon or an over the top dandy) if I show up in a full blown tux for an event that specifically calls for BT OPTIONAL. Even counting that this an east coast event.

14. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

If you have a tux you should wear that

2 people like this.
  15. Veremund

BT optional means wear your tux, but don't decline the invite if you haven't got one. If you haven't got one, wear a dark suit. But you got one. Ok, I'll shut up now. :D

16. aratnam

aratnam Member

So here's what happened- I took the best of all the advice offered and combined it with a bit of my own imagination. I figured that a pinned tab color would complement the olive tie perfectly on a black suit adorned with a discreet white PS: I did get a couple of compliments too!

Cheers!

[​IMG]

17. Veremund

I believe you've got the pin in backwards.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  18. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

Are you worried about people remembering that you wore it last year? No one will remember or realize that it is the same tuxedo. It has been an entire year.

19. Veremund

The outfit you wore looks great, but your fears about looking "stuffy" wearing black tie to a party that stipulates black tie are completely unfounded. Black tie looks amazing at night because it's all about high contrast, just like your black suit there with a white shirt and dark tie. And there's no such thing as a FULL BLOWN tux. There's a dinner jacket worn correctly, and there's a dinner jacket not worn correctly. Ok, maybe wearing a monocle would make one appear slightly stuffy. :D

1 person likes this.