1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Which major shoe makers come without a metal shank?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Itsuo, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Itsuo

Itsuo Well-Known Member

Wow, I'm still on this site 3 years later. I'm not sure how that makes me feel![​IMG] I can now say that metal toe taps do not set off metal detectors at work or the airport--in the pre-check line.

@Hardboiled, I believe the Aldens pictured are the 907s. I have only ever had to take them off on the hill when they set off the detectors entering some Congressional office building. I haven't made that mistake again. At my office you do not have to take your shoes off if they have metal in them, but you do get a second "wand-ing", which get's annoying every time I enter the building. So I've since rotated away from Aldens.

To be honest, while Aldens are good shoes, in time, I crossed into the realm of the very nice--and needlessly expensive.

I don't doubt your assertions about the comfort of Aldens, I appreciated them for many years. I even tried to give them a new life with my dad but he's addicted to his disposable rubber soled dress shoes. Oh well.

I considered keeping some for myself, but I've only got one set of feet so I'm selling off my last few pairs.