1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Which leather jacket would you get

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by alan, Sep 14, 2007.

1. berlin report

berlin report Well-Known Member

hrvatsko, here are the measurements of the vanson (in inches):

armpit to armpit: 21
    shoulders: 18
    length from collar to hem (back): 23.5
    sleeve from shoulder seam: 25.5
    sleeve from collar + shoulder + cuff: 32

Hope that helps. Keep in mind that the jacket is around 8 years old and has been worn extensively. The leather has stretched out a bit.

2. Stylin-1

Stylin-1 Well-Known Member

You can get the Comet in horsehide or the medium weight leather which could be a good alternative.

Horsehide is stiffer than cowhide by quite a bit. Has a nice look though.

3. Casual

Casual Well-Known Member

This new one from C.P. Company is really nice. Removable liner with a cloth Mille Miglia (goggle) hood. US retail is scary, though, around $1800.
    [​IMG]

4. Renault78law

Renault78law Well-Known Member

Jackets meant for actual motorcycle riding have to fit tight in the waist so they don't puff up like a balloon in the wind. And they have to be big in the chest and shoulders so they are comfortable in the riding position. These are advantages when you are riding but not so much if you are just looking for streetwear.

More importantly, in the case of a fall, the loose folds in the leather of an ill fitting jacket will bunch up causing the leather to tear very quickly. Also, you don't want the jacket to ride up whilst sliding on asphalt, so it needs to be tight at the waist. You want a motorcycle jacket to be snug everywhere. Most real jackets have articulated shoulders/sleeves so that they are comfortable in the riding position. A natural consequence is that they are less comfortable in the standing position. Also, contrary to some of the opinions of others, I've found that motorcycle jackets are shorter than regular jackets, particularly in the front. This is another consideration for comfort in the riding position.

I would never buy a real motorcycle jacket for casual use. Go with a fashion company with a motorcycle look. The leather on a real motorcycle jacket is extremely heavy. Wearing a Vanson feels like donning the lead vest at the dentist's office. Great for safety, but not the best to walk around in. Further, I don't find their cuts [Vanson in particular] very flattering. I believe the general consensus is that Vanson is made for the prototypical American middle aged man. Those looking for a more slimmer more modern fit tend to look towards Italian or Japanese makers, such as Dainese and Kushitani.

5. Stylin-1

Stylin-1 Well-Known Member

More importantly, in the case of a fall, the loose folds in the leather of an ill fitting jacket will bunch up causing the leather to tear very quickly. Also, you don't want the jacket to ride up whilst sliding on asphalt, so it needs to be tight at the waist. You want a motorcycle jacket to be snug everywhere. Most real jackets have articulated shoulders/sleeves so that they are comfortable in the riding position. A natural consequence is that they are less comfortable in the standing position. Also, contrary to some of the opinions of others, I've found that motorcycle jackets are shorter than regular jackets, particularly in the front. This is another consideration for comfort in the riding position.

I would never buy a real motorcycle jacket for casual use. Go with a fashion company with a motorcycle look. The leather on a real motorcycle jacket is extremely heavy. Wearing a Vanson feels like donning the lead vest at the dentist's office. Great for safety, but not the best to walk around in. Further, I don't find their cuts [Vanson in particular] very flattering. I believe the general consensus is that Vanson is made for the prototypical American middle aged man. Those looking for a more slimmer more modern fit tend to look towards Italian or Japanese makers, such as Dainese and Kushitani.

So does this mean the American middle aged man is still in his design phase?[​IMG]

6. missionamp

missionamp New Member

I've owned a couple of Vanson's and agree with the thought some others have expressed: they're wonderfully built and of terrific quality, but I wouldn't buy one for casual wear.

As with any garment designed to protect a motorcyclist, the leather is very heavy. That, in and of itself, isn't a deal killer, but the cut has always felt odd to me when I'm not in a riding position.

On the occasions that I do grab a riding jacket for casual wear, I use a Dainese. If you can find one that isn't covered with garish graphics, that brand's jackets are pretty comfortable and they are not quite as expensive as Vanson's or Schott's.

7. kbuzz

kbuzz Well-Known Member

i like the dainese too. I have not been able to find one without the graphics....

8. Abudeeba

Abudeeba Well-Known Member

I'm coming into this thread late and doubtless you've made your decision based on the excellent advice already given, but if you are still mulling a MC jacket, definitely check out Langlitz (http://www.langlitz.com/). Langlitz is probably the nameplate for custom old school leather MC jackets. Expect to pay around $1000 for an awesome custom jacket. As others have said, a true MC jacket is heavy and is proportioned differently from a casual jacket. I have a Langlitz that I will probably be buried in. You can specify light, middle, or heavy weight leather, goatskin, and I think Horsehide. Pockets--up to you. Color--up to you. Padding, epulates, buckles, etc.--it's all up to you. Langlitz even stencils your name and the year of manufacture in the inner pocket. Another thing I really like about a Langlitz is that the zippers are all brass colored. For some reason, I hate steel colored zippers on MC jackets--I think they look cheesy and cheap. But that's just me. Best of all, used Langlitz jackets command big prices on resale.