1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

which is a better city: Chicago or New York?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by crazyquik, Feb 10, 2009.

1. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home
    I lived in Wrigleyville for a year. It's fine, if a little boring. Annoying as hell on game days. But otherwise very nice.
    And trust me, you can definitely live in Chicago without a car. Easily.

This was my impression. Between the L and cabs, I don't see how it wouldn't be very doable to live there without a car.

Having only visited (i.e. never lived in) both my vote goes to Chicago, hands down. To this Southern suburbanite they're both huge cities, so almost any advantage NYC has here is moot. I'm sure there are some things NYC offers that Chicago doesn't, but at some point cities become big enough that such differences become too minuscule to be of concern. Also, the people in Chicago were much more laid back and polite.

2. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

This was my impression. Between the L and cabs, I don't see how it wouldn't be very doable to live there without a car.

Having only visited (i.e. never lived in) both my vote goes to Chicago, hands down. To this Southern suburbanite they're both huge cities, so almost any advantage NYC has here is moot. I'm sure there are some things NYC offers that Chicago doesn't, but at some point cities become big enough that such differences become too minuscule to be of concern. Also, the people in Chicago were much more laid back and polite.

I agree, completely. I visit Chicago very often and never, never get tired of going. Once I arrive I leave the car parked until it's time to leave regardless of how many days I'm there.

3. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

You could live pretty decently in both cities with about $1M going out the door annually in taxes, food, clothes, and paper products (cups, plates, napkins). Other stuff, too, like nice ink for your fountain pens and contributions to the political party of your choice. Cable.

Once you drop down to around $250K, though, you would have to move to somewhere like Indiana or maybe San Francisco to get by.

- B

QFT.

4. jc138

jc138 Well-Known Member

Study up - it's called the "Second City" because it was rebuilt after the Chicago Fire, thus the rebuilt Chicago was "second."
    I hadn't know that, which led me to wikipedia, which reaffirmed why I love wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...es_for_Chicago

My new personal favorite nickname for Chicago is now "The Miami of Canada"

5. crazyquik

crazyquik Well-Known Member

You can also still get an iPhone in Chicago.

6. crazyquik

crazyquik Well-Known Member

You could live pretty decently in both cities with about $1M going out the door annually in taxes, food, clothes, and paper products (cups, plates, napkins). Other stuff, too, like nice ink for your fountain pens and contributions to the political party of your choice. Cable.

Once you drop down to around $250K, though, you would have to move to somewhere like Indiana or maybe San Francisco to get by.

- B

This is the sort of cogent analysis we come to SF for [​IMG]

7. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Well-Known Member

This is the sort of cogent analysis we come to SF for [​IMG]

For $2M/year, you can live fairly well in Toronto since you can apply about $1.9M of that to heating oil, $10K to food and habitation costs, and $90K to strippers and so on.

The main issue with living in Toronto is the phrase, "Downtown Core," which is liable to drive one insane after hearing it more than 100 times.

Another good Canadian city is Seattle.

- B

8. The_Jar

The_Jar Well-Known Member

I've lived in both, and like they say, i love ny.

9. amnesiac

amnesiac Well-Known Member

In terms of academia (i am super geek boy, so this $hit concerns me)... i tend to think University of Chicago is better than Columbia and NYU. Although Columbia and UofC are pretty close. ok.. just my 2 cents. More Nobel Prizes in Economics out of Univ Chicago than anywhere else. [​IMG]
    but obama went to columbia and columbia still has more http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ty_affiliation that being said, i'd give new york the nod on grounds that it has more cultural history and current pull, both new and established. chicago is nice though, just too cold honestly. i want to move to the northwest though.

10. NotoriousMarquis

NotoriousMarquis Well-Known Member

I honestly hope that this thread is a joke. New York is NYC. Thats it. Enough said.

11. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home
  12. zillka

zillka Well-Known Member

i like chicago, good people. i like london, good humour. i like la, good weather. i like tokyo, clean.

but there is only one town.

13. Kvc06

Kvc06 Well-Known Member

I love my city but would have to actually live in New York for awhile to truly make a choice.

14. clearsky

clearsky Member

Food:

It's true that Chicago's top tier is more or less equal to NYC's, but that alone does not make them peers. At almost every other level, NYC wins.

NYC clearly has better French, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Turkish/Middle Eastern, Jewish delis, Mid-range fine dining, Food carts, Pastries, Spanish, Puerto Rican, soul food, etc.

Some of the few things that Chicago does better are hot dogs, Thai, Greek and Mexican (surprisingly).

I'll call it a draw on pizza.

15. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

That last sentence is grounds for banning

16. clearsky

clearsky Member

Intellectualism:

Arguably, Northwestern/UChicago beats NYU/Columbia. But NYC undisputably has a more intellectual climate, especially given the critical mass of graduates from top schools in the Northeast and elsewhere.

17. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

Earlier today i received an email from HR advising that the NY and Chicago offices are accepting applications. Thinking about transferring to one of these cities in the summer. Never visited Chicago but I'm i keep hearing good things about the city. I visit NYC about every year and each time I have a blast. Not sure if this would translate into an enjoyable multi-year stay. Some info about me:

25 years old
    Work in tax
    Looking to stay for ~2 years
    Make ~65K

SF sticks out like a sore thumb. Lived there for a year and its unlike any place in the country. Not better or worse, just different

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  18. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

I would go for chicago just because new york has a ridiculous cost of living. You definitely will have to downgrade your lifestyle if you want to live in new york city with the same salary.

19. rollafan

rollafan Well-Known Member

In my experience, people in Chicago tend to be more laid back, whereas New Yorkers are not..

NYC is fun to visit, but it is just too crowded for my taste. Chicago is known for its architecture.

To me, NY is quite dirty, whereas Chicago is not..

Both cities are very humid in summer though...

20. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

NAMOR!!!!! sup babi??

i think it really depends on the person, they are both great towns. great shopping, food and culture. chi town is less hustle bustle tho. if you have been to NY before and enjoyed all that hustle bustle and had a blast, for a 2 year stay i would say NY. for a more permanent thing i would vote chi town tho.