1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Which Interview Outfit Is Better? With PICS

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by plei89, Sep 14, 2011.

1. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

Replace the shirt with a RLPL white pinpoint Oxford and the tie with something Light blue and I'm on board with it.

Tie a four in hand knot and ditch the tie clip for this.

2. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Well-Known Member

Nope - accessories do not matter in a *material* way. What I meant to convey was, with a dragonfly cufflinks and a shiny collar bar I'd look at you askance (maybe even physically raise an eyebrow) ... like I would if you had a huge mole or something else visually distracting. But it wouldnt be the basis for a hire/fire.

There was a person there with the best fitting suit on, whose graduate work was the most in-line with our business. But unfortunately, as nice as he was, he didn't have the best personality to mesh with our group and our clients (compared to the other candidates)....

3. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Understood. If the talent is there ... and one's appearance isn't oddly disconcerting ... the personality mesh is 90% of the deal.

4. Superfluous

Superfluous Well-Known Member

Why does it have to be purple label?

5. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

3rd this^^^.
    no tie bar and links...

6. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

see page 1, post 1.

7. Blackhood

Blackhood Well-Known Member

Speaking from an entirely UK point of view.

Always wear Double Cuffs! Barrel cuffs are for casual wear or low-level managers. This is clearly a cultural issue.

The red tie.
    Red is an aggressive colour and one I wouldn't choose for a first round interview. It says "look at me" while embodying all the connotations of red (danger, stop etc.). Blues or yellows are preferable.

If the tie is non-negotiable I would choose the blue shirt. Essentially it reduces the stark quality of the red. The tie is bolder than the shirt, not everything else in the room. With a white shirt red is the dominant colour, with the blue it is simply the most bold. this is a better choice.

As I say, this is only the opinion of a UK dweller, I can't state how different opinion appear to be over the pond!

Good luck with the interview!

Edit: Upon further though, keep the accessories. They add to the "detail oriented" thing you put on your CV. (Because everyone ever has put that on their CV)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  8. atila

atila Well-Known Member

I agree with the above post about the blue looking better with the outfit. It minimizes the boldness of the red tie and makes your overall outfit more pleasing to the eye.

I personally never wear tie bar's and the FC on that shirt has yours sticking out way too much for my taste.

9. Manfred Freitag

Manfred Freitag Well-Known Member

Speaking as someone who interviews professionals and hires them for a living. . .

Pressed, prepared, and professional is about 1000x more important than cuffs / no cuffs, tie bar, etc. I am going to DQ you on the answers to your questions or whether you generally present like someone who belongs with my high-value clients. NOT on whether you wore french cuffs.

1 person likes this.
  10. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

As one who is both American & British (and Swiss to boot, not that it matters), I understand what you are saying ... but NOT in America. A two button cuff is often held up to be elitist.

But still, I stand by what I said above:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  11. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Perhaps Skinny has a new job with RL and wants to make a sale. Otherwise there is not one good reason.

12. Manfred Freitag

Manfred Freitag Well-Known Member

Jesus, in America about anything more refined than sweatpants and Affliction t-shirts are considered elitist. And if he is interviewing with a hedge fund I think they've been to the circus and seen the elephant, they aren't WalMart.

But I will say that you want your wardrobe to be professional and forgettable at the same time.

1 person likes this.
  13. taxgenius

taxgenius Well-Known Member

Now that everything has already been said, I should mention that I love the monkey face :)

14. Sonny58

Sonny58 Well-Known Member

Yeah, the monkey face is cute. But I wouldn't wear it to the interview. :D

15. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

Red tie looks too aggressive for an interview i think, and +1 the white shirt suggestion. I personally like tie bars, and I'm not sure why the simple white pocket square would be too distracting.

16. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

No matter what you've heard, I'm not Jesus. I'm a bit too elitist ... which may explain why I'm unfamiliar with said Affliction t-shirts.

17. JoziKilos

JoziKilos Member

OP, im in the same boat as you - got a few interviews lined up.

I had an interview the other day, and I wore:

- White shirt
    - Regular cuffs, not sure that wearing FC is a big deal but best to avoid any misconceptions.
    - clean simple tie bar
    - white pocket square tv fold

Interview went well, and i'm going in for round 2.

Dress professional and smart, don't over do the accessories, but know what you are doing.

18. landshark

landshark Well-Known Member

Wear a white shirt, french cuff or no. A more soporific tie, in navy, dark green, etc. A red tie is loud and honestly the combination reminds me of a politician.

19. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

I advise you to wear the pants. my 2 cents

1 person likes this.
  20. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Once he has the job -- assuming the workplace is 'sufficiently' turbulent -- there will be plenty of opportunity for a dream/nightmare or two about not wearing trousers. I haven't had one in a few years ... but in mine I was typically in my PJs.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011