1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Which colour belt to wear with these?!

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by GoldenOne, Oct 1, 2016.

1. GoldenOne

GoldenOne New Member

So last year I bought this pair of boots from Helly Hansen:

http://sportmaster.dk/sites/sportma...n_Khaki-1080380-v1-210626_0.png?itok=5giqjDgq

Yesterday I was trying to find a belt that goes along with it, but I had major issues trying to find one, mainly because the belts that were somewhat matching in colour with the shoes were too light for my taste. And now I regret not buying the boots in a darker colour...

Would it look silly to buy the belt in a somewhat darker colour than the boots? Do you think it would look fine, if I bought a belt in the same colour as the boots? Is wearing a black belt with them a no-go?

2. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Well-Known Member

See above

3. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Well-Known Member

Just buy a brown belt.

While belt and shoes should, as a general thing, broadly match - for example, black belt with black shoes, and brown belt with brown shoes - there is no need to seek a perfect match.

If your footwear is pretty much anything from dark beige to dark brown, and your belt is somewhere in the brown family, it's likely close enough. Indeed, some might even suggest that seeking out a perfect match is excessive, and runs the risk of being perceived as overly "matchy-matchy."

Moreover, those are quite casual boots. They are not at all formal. So sartorial rules can be relaxed even further.

There are parallels involving matching sock color to shoe color, or pocket square color to necktie color. Where close enough may, at times, be preferable to exact.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016