1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Which brown calf chukka boots to buy?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rossjamesparker, Oct 30, 2010.

1. rossjamesparker

rossjamesparker Member

After lurking here for a while, I think it may now be time to dive in with a question. I am on the lookout for a good quality pair of chukka boots, with goodyear welted soles. However, like many on here, I am quite demanding! I want these to last forever (with re-soling) so I am looking for plain calf-type leather (not textured, burnished, suede) in dark brown (not tan). Obviously, they also have to look good!

Current candidates are:

• Barker's Atwood, ~£175, not really dark enough (see here)
    • Grenson Chertsey, ~£250, right colour, not totally sure about style (see here)
    • Oliver Sweeney, Portland, £195, look a bit less smart (see here)

I would appreciate any comments on these candidates, and any other suggestions.

I am based in the UK (London) if it matters at all.

Thanks!

2. hypostatic

hypostatic Well-Known Member

I couldn't be any happier with Grenson boots. They take a while to break in, but look incredible and hold up really well.

3. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Well-Known Member

• Barker's Atwood, ~£175, not really dark enough (see here)
    • Grenson Chertsey, ~£250, right colour, not totally sure about style (see here)
    • Oliver Sweeney, Portland, £195, look a bit less smart (see here)

The Grensons are the best of those choices, though I don't much like any of them. I can't stand the shape of the other two. For the same price as the Grensons you could get the C&J Chiltern, or for a bit more the Tetbury or Chepstow. Or, a slightly cheaper option, the 'Quorn' by Alfred Sargent.

4. rossjamesparker

rossjamesparker Member

Those Alfred Sargent Quorns look great - just a shame they are burnished and not plain.

I will check out the C&Js too. Price not too much of an issue if I get the wear out of them.

I know you you mean about the shapes, although I don't think the Barker Atwood is too bad. I think the suede finish for chukkas is much more forgiving to odd shapes in some way.

5. chasingred

chasingred Well-Known Member

6. kev777

kev777 Well-Known Member

Out of the choices the Grenson's without doubt, i have them in suede and i love them. I would also consider the AS Quorns or Mendips too.

7. rossjamesparker

rossjamesparker Member

Thanks Chasingred - they look very nice, but unfortunately no my size.

8. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Well-Known Member

The Grensons are the best of those choices, though I don't much like any of them. I can't stand the shape of the other two. For the same price as the Grensons you could get the C&J Chiltern, or for a bit more the Tetbury or Chepstow. Or, a slightly cheaper option, the 'Quorn' by Alfred Sargent.

I would go with the Grensons. However, I would look around some more before you buy.

9. apropos

apropos Well-Known Member

Ever considered the C&J Brecon? The pebblegrain leather is much thicker & softer than their regular calf. The dainite sole will also last ages longer than a leather one. [​IMG]

10. Champagnelifestylenomoney

Champagnelifestylenomoney Well-Known Member

I'd avoid Oliver Sweeney on construction grounds ( usually a Blake rather than a Goodyear welted sole) unless fashion is the primary concern (e.g. they are for a date with a model!). I'd check on ebay - chukkas seem to be out of favour at the moment so you may benefit from deflated pricing.

11. rossjamesparker

rossjamesparker Member

Thanks all for the replies and advice. I have finally got around to ordering a pair of Grenson Smith's - in 'burnt pine' from Edwards of Manchester (£5 cheaper than the Grenson online store, and with free shoe trees and delivery!)

Pic here: http://www.edwardsofmanchester.co.uk...urnt-pine.html

12. WoolPants

WoolPants Member

• Barker's Atwood, ~£175, not really dark enough (see

Barker boots are beautiful.

Thanks for the post.