1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Which Belstaff jacket?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by cmrocks, Jun 20, 2010.

1. cmrocks

cmrocks Well-Known Member

J.Crew has two different Belstaff jackets available right now and I'm planning on picking one up. I've always wanted a leather Belstaff. Both jackets are similar but slightly different styles. The Brad jacket is more of a motorcycle jacket and is shorter cut. The panther looks more like a classic Belstaff jacket and is a bit longer.

Which jacket would be more versatile? I'm looking for something that I can wear on a day to day basis in the city. When I goto work, I dress business casual with cotton dress pants and an OCBD. On the weekend, I'm usually wearing dark jens (APC) and either a tshirt or an OCBD. Which style of jacket would go better with this kind of look?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bond111

Bond111 Well-Known Member

I'd say go with the Brad jacket. Looks more BA to me.

3. hossoso

hossoso Well-Known Member

I'd suggest the Panther (classic cut) and wear it with everything but black. You ride bikes right? If that's the case, it's a bit flashy (until it gets some wear on it) but justified. Plus, you'll be the baddest motherfucker on Robson St.

4. Stylin-1

Stylin-1 Well-Known Member

I like them both, but will say the Panther is tough to pull off if you're a smaller guy.

5. Pablo-T

Pablo-T Well-Known Member

They're both for wankers.

A leather Belstaff is an oxymoron, designed by an Italian company who are pimping the heritage of a great brand. If you want to go flash, look out something like the Sammy Miller limited editions. A reworked leather Belstaff is like a pair of velvet Levi's; it's just not right.

6. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Not fond of either. Look at something else.

7. cmrocks

cmrocks Well-Known Member

Was wondering about the Panther since I'm only 5'9 with pretty short legs. The brad might be better for that.

I also like this Cougar model quite a bit.

[​IMG]

8. Saltricks

Saltricks Well-Known Member

That cougar model looks amazing

9. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Well-Known Member

I'd go with the one that looks like you didn't just put a leather jacket in a washing machine.

10. Soph

Soph Well-Known Member

The Brad gets more utilization. The Panther is a bit more of an oddity in normal day to day wear.

11. spacemanvt

spacemanvt Well-Known Member

anyone know about the sizing in the belstaff brad? I tried on the panther and I am medium,... would i be the same in the Brad cut?

12. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

No experience with the Panther, but the Brad fits quite a bit smaller than the Roadmaster.
    Enough to size up.

13. spacemanvt

Hmm the roadmaster looks pretty similar to the panther... So u suppoe I should size up?

14. slide13

slide13 Well-Known Member

Def size up on both compared to the Roadmaster, which is a size up from the Che Guevera model, and possibly other Trialmaster models. When I was in NYC I tried on a bunch of them. Could just fit in a small Che Guevera but would have needed a medium, was a solid large in the Roadmaster and the Panther in a large was well too small, couldn't find a XL to try on but that would have done it.

15. spacemanvt

Slide u must be a big guy, I'm not sure of what to make of ur sizing

16. slide13

slide13 Well-Known Member

I'm 6' 200lbs, pretty big chest which is usually the issue. I just found Belstaff to be all over the place for me, depending upon the model. I was shocked I was able to fit into a small on the Che but not into a large (ok, I could zip it but it was damn tight) on the Panther. Large Roadmaster fits me on the roomy side though, medium would probably work for a very slim fit without the plan of layering it over a sweater or a vest.

17. NorCal_1

NorCal_1 Well-Known Member

I have the Brad in the brown/black and love it and recommend the Brad over the Panther - the Panther is just too costumy as are many of the Belstaff's with those shoulder protectors

of all the Belstaff models for men, the Brad looks the least costumy and the most classic, imho

the good news for the future is that Belstaff got bought and needs to pay off the buyout debt the new owner took on, so hopefully they will be adding many more classic and simpler designs (ie a cafe racer in all their leather colors, etc)

in terms of sizing, I had to get an XXL in the Brad and I am a 43/44 in a suit

an XL is for a ~42 suit size

an L for a ~40

etc

that's the way the sizing goes for the Brad

hope this helps

18. spacemanvt

NorCal thanks, can you post some pics?

I went ahead and ordered the brad in brown off j crew during their 25% off sale, so I got a decent deal.... I had been drooling over belstaff jackets for ages. I also ordered the 556 bag as I needed a cool looking messenger bag... We will see about the sizing.

I went ahead and post the same question on film jackets and called the Belstaff store in London. Both recommended L so I *should* be ok. For reference, I am a medium in the Panther, L in the Avon Jacket( which looks badass in antique black, may kop that too), and L in the Douglas blouson....

I think the Panther is a badass jacket but its a real motorcycle jacket and is cut to fit a liner underneath and protect your whole upper body from the elements, its a bit tough to pull off in day to day life.

19. NorCal_1

NorCal_1 Well-Known Member

spacemanvt - those suit size stats I posted for the Brad are very accurate, so if you are a 40 in a suit, it will fit you perfectly

I don't have any pictures of me in my jacket but I'm 6'1, 195 and a 43/44 suit and the XXL fits me like a glove without being too tight. I could not size down to an XL though

the Brad is a very slim fitting model in the chest, shoulders and arms,,,,but there's no worries for you, since you bought it from JCrew and can always exchange for a different size if you need to

I also have the 556 bag and really love it

since you like that bag, the next time RL has a 25% off sale, consider getting this weekend bag - it was made for their RRL line but 'declassified' down to regular RL so the weight and construction are just insane - it's a steal on sale.

20. spacemanvt

wow that bag looks really great, how do you find out about RL sales? mailing list or something? in fact, some of those RL bags look better than the belstaff one.hmmm

i will prob kop that if i can get it on discount... would you say its the size of a 554 or bigger? seems to be alot bigger actually

It sounds like my sizing will be ok as I believe I am 40-41 in the chest, (def not 42 thats too big)... i really need to get measured though.

how long have you had the brad jacket? im curious how the color has changed as you've worn it.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011