1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

where would you recommend a suit for under $300?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mastapro, Jan 21, 2013.

1. mastapro

mastapro Active Member

I might soon be getting a job at an office place and I literally have no suits. I've been thinking of going to Macy's and getting suits there since they're around $200 on sale.. Where would you guys recommend getting a nice fitting suit from? Also, where's a good place to get dress shirts as well? Thanks.

2. Big Texas

Big Texas Well-Known Member

How many suits and shirts do you need, and what's your total clothing budget? It's better to start from a macro perspective and plan things out than to buy random items ad hoc.

As for individual suits, clothing budget dependent, you might be able to snag the occasional deal on Styleforum's very own B&S forum (http://www.styleforum.net/f/6714/classic-menswear-classifieds). Frequency of good deals obviously depends on your size. If you're a very uncommon size, there won't be a ton of listings available to you. On the other hand, if you're a very common size, you'll face quick competition to snap up the staples when they appear.

Finding a decent suit on eBay is also possible, though the truly great deals are hard to come by. Still, it's often better to buy a good suit at deep discount than to buy a crappy suit at cheap retail (i.e., Men's Wearhouse).

3. mastapro

mastapro Active Member

4. mastapro

mastapro Active Member

oops double post

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  5. shilleck

shilleck Well-Known Member

Why don't you go to Macy's first and look around for some nice fitting suits and dress shirts within your budget. Go for the essential suits like navy or charcoal, grey and for the office simply stay away from black suits.

6. mastapro

mastapro Active Member

what's wrong with black suits at an office? just wondering, i've seen ppl say that before. i thought black was the most versatile, i was planning on getting a black, gray, and a navy suit.

7. stylememerry

stylememerry Member

I read somewhere that the stylist from American idol will buy and H&M suit and then get it tailored for a good fit she gets a limted budget for the show. Nordstrom just did there half yearly sale for men on December 26th I think there might still be some good stuff :) For transparency sake I sell shoes for nordies .Charcoal is more versatile then black and flattering on most men navy is also a good bet.Think of it as a story problem how can you get the most combinations out some basic items. Fit really is the key though.

8. mastapro

mastapro Active Member

Ok i will check those stores out thanks. wut colors of dress shirts should i buy if i'm getting a navy suit and a grey suit? i was thinking of getting at least 5 dress shirts... black, white, wut else? and where should i get nicely fitted dress shirts that aren't too expensive

9. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

Never buy a black dress shirt. Your shirt should always be the lightest and least vibrant color you're wearing when you're in a coat and tie / suit.

Buy a few in white, and a few in very light blue. I'd say three light blue, two white.

10. mastapro

mastapro Active Member

Yea that sounds good thanks YRR92. any other colors u suggest? i want more than just 2 colors of dress shirts. also, any brands or stores u suggest that offer a good fit?

11. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

White, white, light blue, light blue, light blue.

If you want something other than solid, get a white and light blue stripe, but if you buy patterned shirts, now you have to work hard to pair them with patterned suits and patterned ties, so don't go overboard.

Stay away from other colors until you are a much more advanced dresser.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  12. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

This is one reason why you should start with navy and/or charcoal solids as your first suits.

13. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

Also very true.

14. mastapro

mastapro Active Member

random question but what do you guys wear under white dress shirts? i've never found a white dress shirt that was thick enough to not be see-through

15. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

I prefer white v-neck t-shirts. Others have said good stuff about very light heather gray, but I've never tried it myself.

You can get a few shades of light blue shirts. I'd go for two that are super, super light, and then one with a little more color to it -- but not so much color that it becomes overpowering.

16. Badandy

Badandy Well-Known Member

You need to do a lot more reading on this site instead of asking these quick--hit questions. What I do for the vast majority of reading on SF is go to google and type "site:styleforum.net what to pair with navy suit" or something like that. All these little questions you have are perfect for this type of searching, but don't be shy if you can't find anything. People are here to help but it's always good if you do some reading beforehand so there's a knowledge base you can build off.

17. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Well-Known Member

While we all appreciate you being conscious of your nipples showing, the pokie show isn't the only concern. It is also about keeping you skin, dander, oils, odor and (most importantly) deodorant off of your dress shirts. I wear A-shirts, crew neck and/or v-neck white cotton undershirts by Jockey. Hanes are rubbish and I don't care to spend the extra money on Calvin Klein or whatever the kids are wearing. If wearing open collar best not to wear a crew neck.

I'd agree with the shirt colors suggested. But that doesn't mean to go grab 3 of the exact same shirts. You can find many shades, textures and patterns of light blue.

What the gentlemen are suggesting will help you to take a small wardrobe- and by mixing and matching- create dozens of outfit possibilities. Start with wardrobe building blocks: Navy suit, Charcoal suit, blue blazer, tan/camel trousers, light blue and white shirts. Then add a few pieces every payday. Subtle pinstripes and squares, pink, etc will come later.

To your first question - I'd suggest Nordstrom Rack or Neiman Marcus Last Call- check in your area.
    Don't forget decent shoes!

18. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Well-Known Member

OK...Good answers...one more question: I heard that women like the pokie show. Is that true?

LOL! [​IMG]

OP, do a few searches for different shirt/suit/tie combos. You'll answer a lot of questions in a lot less time.

19. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Well-Known Member

20. haze324

haze324 Member

I was in your shoes not long ago and purchased a handful of suits at Macy's myself.

First read the articles here they discuss how to build a business wardrobe and what type of suits, shirts, ties to purchase.

None of the Macys are really that great in quality but if I had to pick the ones that fit/feel best I'd go with the CK's or Ralph Lauren. The RL's have a more traditional cut (and I think slightly better quality) while the CK's offer a slim fit. On sale you can grab these for around 200 bucks. In the end I think you will be better served by better quality than quantity of your suits. For around 300 bucks you can grab a Marco Valentino from Wizard of Ahhs (google/search this). I personally don't have one, but have seen these suits and would prefer them over a CK from Macy's anyday.

Shirts - my favorite shirts Bang for your Buck are Nordstrom shirts, especially Nordstrom Rack Non-Iron slim fit shirts. I can grab them for about 30-35 bucks and they fit better than Brooks Brothers (on me). At that price you can stock up on some fairly decent quality good fitting shirts. I prefer them over anything at Macys.

Agree with all of the other posts. Grey and Blue suits, a few white shirts a few light blue shirts and a handful of ties and you can look very presentable at work if you pair things up properly. Don't purchase too much too fast, that is my biggest regret (I wasted tons of money on quanitity when I should've purchases quality instead).

There's also a really good post here on what ties and shirts to wear with blue and grey suits.