1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Where to invest 2k a year?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Rugger, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Hortensia

Hortensia New Member

Hi,
    Depends on how much of a return of investment, you're looking for as well as how much work you want to put towards it. For a while I played the car flipping game and took regular investments,starting capital of $500-1500 into cars that needed some work.

2. tesseract

tesseract Well-Known Member

shortsell IPOS in the short term.

3. thebac

thebac Well-Known Member

The responses below would be entirely credited, except the money is for his rainy day fund. OP, if it's a rainy day fund, it needs to be in something safe and liquid. Savings/high-interest checking/money market with no loss of principal. Once you've got a rainy day fund, put money into a nice, diversified index fund (like an S&P 500) with low fees.
    Put it into an index fund - deposit the same value on the same date once a month for the year. 99% of the general population will not be able to beat the market in the long run.
    Yes. If you neither have the knowledge to make individual investments on your own, or the time/inclination to learn how, then find an index fund with the lowest fees possible and be done with it

4. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I just opened a schwab checking account (which is pretty great BTW). To do this, they required that I also opened a schwab brokerage account (no minimum balance or fees, but obviously they are trying to entice customers who would trade stocks but have not been motivated to get set up).

The process to move money in and out of the brokerage account to the checking account is instant. This solves thebac's issue of rainy day fund availability. Hell, they will even let you move money from the brokerage account *on margin* (I would not recommend doing this as a short term loan...but I suppose it is nice if you need the money in a hurry on the weekend or something and make sure to place a sell order to back it up).