1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Where to find a velvet collar overcoat in the U.S.?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Longmorn, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Longmorn

Longmorn Well-Known Member

Common as they are in the UK, I can't seem to find one here in the U.S. Years ago I had a great charcoal houndstooth one from Dunhill that I wore all the time, but I gave it away after I got too big through the shoulders. My LP Storm System car coat is too warm for most winter days here in DC, but I think a chesterfield or covert coat would be perfect.

I found this one from Paul Stuart, but while nice I could have Will Field make one bespoke for the same price.

[​IMG]

So - any other options I should consider under $3K?

Thanks in advance.

LM

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  2. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Well-Known Member

Ralph Lauren. They normally carry at least one version every season. Often, they simply include a velvet collar for your tailor to replace.

3. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Well-Known Member

4. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

Also if you're not too proud to buy something used, eBay. Overcoats, particularly in this style, are the kinds of things that last a long time, but used to be more prevalent than they are today. Also finely tuned fit isn't quite as important as it would be for a suit or sportcoat. You might be able to find a really quality piece on eBay for a nice price. For instance:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-CHE...94?pt=US_CSA_MC_Outerwear&hash=item4d05b64696

5. Despos

Despos Well-Known Member

Don't wait to find one. If you find a topcoat you like, have a tailor put a velvet collar on the coat. You can apply the collar over the existing or have the present top collar cloth removed and the velvet applied. You will also have a spare collar if you ever need it.

1 person likes this.
  6. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

7. AlexE

AlexE Well-Known Member

Paul Stuart also carries them at prices well below $3k in the NYC store.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  8. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

Brooks Brothers sells the classic Chesterfield in charcoal herringbone with a velvet collar. I bought mine several years ago at the store on Connecticut Avenue.

9. Longmorn

Longmorn Well-Known Member

Thanks all for the suggestions. Frankly, I'm a bit embarrassed that I didn't find these on my own. Usually my Google skills are pretty sharp.

That said, a bunch of them are UK shops - anyone had any luck shipping to the U.S. from New and Lingwood? Did you get dinged for customs?

The Paul Stuart option is particularly intriguing - guess I'll have to plan a trip up to NYC.

Despos - great idea, although I'm not sure I'm going to find a topcoat with all the other characteristics (shape, ticket pocket, fly front, etc.) that one would find on a chesterfield.

AC - thanks for the tip, but BB isn't listing them online. I'll check it out tomorrow though.

10. comrade

comrade Well-Known Member