1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Where to buy grey flannel trousers in the UK?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by AndyMG, Dec 15, 2011.

1. AndyMG

AndyMG Well-Known Member

I'm looking to buy a pair of grey flannel trousers. Preferably no pleats and a lightish shade of grey. I'm based in the UK and I'd rather go into a shop and actually try a pair on than buy over the internet and have to waste time with returning stuff that's the wrong size.

I'm struggling to find anywhere that stocks grey flannels in any form at the moment. does anyone have any recommendations?

2. Patek

Patek Well-Known Member

Have you tried one of the multitude of men's stores and garment makers that the UK is famous for?

I'm confused by this question. Is there a price concern? Are you in London?

3. AndyMG

AndyMG Well-Known Member

I've looked at all the usual high street places, but no joy there. I'm sure i've heard people say that Cordings in Piccadilly do them, but there's no mention on their website. I'll have to call in next time i'm in London. Price isn't really an issue. I'll happily pay good money for good quality. Do you know of any particular brands that are well known for flannels?

This is the first time i've ever looked for any, and I thought that being the UK, I would find them pretty much everywhere!

4. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Well-Known Member

You can you've just looked in the wrong shops. Try Around Savile Row, Piccadilly, and Jermyn Street.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  5. mrbig

mrbig Well-Known Member

Huntsman on Savile Row does very nice trousers. Not a huge colour variety but they do stock grey flannel. Might be worth checking out as their sale has started.

6. Wrenkin

Wrenkin Well-Known Member

Ede's website has them listed as sold out, but I'm sure you can phone an individual location. You can also try the basic online sources like Pakeman, Peter Christian, etc, but if you're willing to pay more then surely someone on Jermyn St. would have them?

7. AndyMG

AndyMG Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input guys.

It appears I have been looking in the wrong shops! I think that a trip to the Jermyn Street/Savile Row area is called for once the shops re-open again after christmas. Can't wait to add them to my wardrobe!

8. AndyMG

AndyMG Well-Known Member

Just been into Arthur Shepherd's in Cambridge. I ask for flannels. I'm directed to a rail of grey trousers at £79 per pair. Just as I'm about to try on a pair in my size, I check the label. 100% polyester. Seems like a fairly loose interpretation of the word flannel to me.

9. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

That's the understatement of the year...

10. dandie

dandie Well-Known Member

New and Lingwood on Jermyn St - they have both mid and dark grey flannel in stock, and are having a sale at the moment.

11. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Well-Known Member

As Wrenkin suggested, try Ede & Ravenscroft, their Cambridge branch is on Trumpington Street. If they don't have anything RTW in stock they also do MTM and bespoke.

12. AndyMG

AndyMG Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think clothing that causes an electric shock every time you touch something isn't that desirable!

A trip to Jermyn Street and possibly E & R is planned for immediately after christmas, hopefully with more luck.

Polyester[​IMG]

13. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

I am staggered that you cannot find anything unless you are not telling us of the full specification you demand. Marks and Spencer, John Lewis as well as the plethora of small retailers that exist throughout the UK.

What about going to a small local artisan and getting a pair made?

14. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Well-Known Member

15. lovelux2010

lovelux2010 Well-Known Member

hi all,

struggling to find grey flannel trousers in light and medium grey (not charcoal)..any suggestions? i have found one pair of PANTA that look good, i am tryign to remember another seller but i cannot recall the name - perhaps was a seller based in hong kong - they used to carry a large variety of flannel trousrs but i cannot remember the name!

16. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

Were you to suggest where you are looking it would help.

17. gsugsu

gsugsu Well-Known Member

Howard Yount and Epaulet have very nice selections of flannel trousers

18. lovelux2010

lovelux2010 Well-Known Member

howard yount was who i was thinking of - thank you!

does anyone know which would have a mid-rise (definately not low rise) out of howard yount and panta (cant find plain grey light - mid grey flannel on epaulet)..

thanks again

19. Liquidus

Liquidus Well-Known Member

I think all of HY's pants would be considered mid-rise. The made in USA ones have a higher rise than the made in Italy ones.

20. Jellybean

Jellybean Active Member

Lovelux - I was in London Saturday and saw loads of great flannels:

Jermyn Street
    -Hackett - lovely work on the inside.
    -T&A - Loro Piana cloth

South Molton Street
    - Officina Slowear - loads of great Incotex flannels

Hope this helps.