1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Where to buy darned cheap suit in NYC?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by floete, Jun 1, 2007.

1. floete

floete Well-Known Member

I'm going to have about 2-3 hrs to spare during a trip next Tuesday to Manhattan and I need to buy a suit to wear to a freaking wedding (just like the fellow below: tux's optional). I haven't worn or owned a suit, or even a sport coast, since my last 9 to 5 job, about 20 years ago. I've always dreaded this moment and it's upon me and I'm in a real dither.

I want to spend a minimal amt of money, as this suit is going to be worn once and after that only at the funerals that are surely headed in my direction, if i don't go first. At the same time, I don't want to look like a doofus or spending the evening in an advanced state of discomfort. I want to go to only one store, at most two. I have no idea what color to get: I'm 52, blond, pale, and skinny fat, if you know what I mean; got any suggestions? (I've always wanted to look good in black; but truth to tell, in black, I look like a cadaver, at best). What I know is that I like single vents and rather low-rise trousers and slim trousers as well.

Got any ideas where I might go?

Thanks!!

2. Tarmac

Tarmac Well-Known Member

cant buy a suit and alter it in 3 hrs. you should rent.

3. floete

floete Well-Known Member

no no i meant i'd have 2-3 hrs to look around and buy one. the wedding itself isn't for another month. sorry for being so unclear!

4. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Well-Known Member

Filene's Basement at Union Square

5. Sartorian

Sartorian Well-Known Member

Century 21, downtown, by the WTC site.

6. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking cheap is $150-$400. If you are dead set on spending less than $200, go to Jos. A. Bank.

Filene's doesn't have a very deep selection, or salespeople (which may not be a bad thing) but the suits are pretty inexpensive, if I remember correctly, and they have frequent 25% off sales.

Century 21 has a better selection, many more suits in each size, and salespeople. Prices range from dirt cheap to extremely expensive, but there's a lot of stuff in the lower ranges.

7. floete

floete Well-Known Member

thanks, guys. time permitting, i'll try to hit 'em both. btw/ i went to BB today and Nordstroms and didn't see anything I liked. But I did learn that I'm a 42 L in sleeve length but a 42R in body length. That being the case, I think my main problem is going to be finding jackets in a 42R but with longer than normal sleeves. At BB, they said their jackets couldn't be lengthened as much as I'd need. ...

8. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

Cheap and slim usually equals either H&M or Zara in NYC.

9. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Well-Known Member

If you are strapped for time, try the Filene's at 6th and 18th. There is a TJ Max in the same building and Burlington Coat Factory two blocks to the north, also Loehman's over on 7th and 17th. There is also a Men's Wearhouse in the area, but please please PLEASE do not shop there....it will only encourage George Zimmer to make more commercials.

10. floete

floete Well-Known Member

wow great stuff, thanks, guy.

re: "cheap and slim" -- actually, it should read "cheap and slim and porky in the belly in front." yetch.

11. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Well-Known Member

Another neighborhood where you can hit a few hot spots in quick succession is the Wall Street area, where you can try Century 21 (watch out...it's Tourist Season!) and SYMS just a few blocks away.

12. zhouyu

zhouyu Well-Known Member

Filene's @ Union Square
    Century 21 by Ground Zero