1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Where is your style going?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Superb0bo, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Seanallen

Seanallen Well-Known Member

Went from Bright flashy clothes, to Basically Blacks , Whites and Shades between, very basic.

2. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Well-Known Member

I think I'm at the same place as constant struggle. I pretty much wore loose ts, jeans/shorts, and chucks all summer long. I had no interest in really doing anything new or interesting. I think the only things I want to buy are a few nice button downs (BoO, Maybe some Ben Sherman, and Club Monaco on sale) and a nice trench. Come winter, I'll finally be able to layer again and then maybe I"ll care more.

3. warlok1965

warlok1965 Well-Known Member

I'm feeling pulled in two directions - basically streetwear vs men's clothing for lack of a better way of describing it. In the process of finding a happy medium.

4. djh

djh Well-Known Member

I started caring about clothes about a year ago, so right now I'm just focusing on getting solid, great -fitting basics. I have a couple of really awesome jackets and other pieces, but really just focused on building up my wardrobe..

5. XeF4

XeF4 Well-Known Member

My style ain't going anywhere.

6. June

June Well-Known Member

I wanted to stick to basics and be able to mix and match, but I keep buying pieces that aren't very versatile =\\ I'm really tempted to buy the B.Son mock pullover....

7. chronoaug

chronoaug Well-Known Member

If you're really confident, go for it. If you're like me and you seem to have woody allen for a conscious at times, you may want to pass.

8. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Well-Known Member

I dunno, where is styleforum going?

[​IMG]

9. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

I now wear the same uniform pretty much every time and my next purchases will simply be fine tuning that look (unless I tire of it). I am still tempted to let go of all my clothes and get 4 identical grey suits + 10 white shirts + 2 pairs of shoes + 10 ties but I think I'll pass. I only wear one pair of blue denim and it doesn't get much wear. Black/grey/white jeans or pants for me. I'll probably get another pair of baggy black pants at some point.

10. dizzhizz

dizzhizz Well-Known Member

I'm feeling pulled in two directions - basically streetwear vs men's clothing for lack of a better way of describing it. In the process of finding a happy medium.

im also in the same situation given that i wear formal businesswear during the weekdays and just jeans and a t-shirt on the weekends and that my options are somewhat limited in terms of retailers here in Korea. not sure if i wanna wear high end sneakers when i can get nice dress shoes for the same amount of money so i guess i get confused on what to buy.

11. Fade to Black

Fade to Black Well-Known Member

i swear, this board gets the best trolls.

12. Eagle

Eagle Well-Known Member

Throughout my adult life, my style hasn't changed much. For work, I've always worn a uniform or conservatively cut suits. My more casual wear generally includes OCBDs or knit polos, chinos or Levi 501 Originals, navy blazer or tweed jacket, and penny loafers, boat shoes or wingtips. Considering not much has changed in more than 45 years, my best guess is that my style is, what it will be! [​IMG]

13. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

I had/have that same pull too. I sorted it out by wearing "men's clothing" shoes (as opposed to casual sneakers), and try to incorporate more trousers rather than just jeans. It seems like you've found a good medium, judging by your WAYWT pics. I've never been a "total streetwear" guy, nor have I ever been a complete "mens clothing" guy since I dont have to wear a suit as a work uniform

14. ADH

ADH Well-Known Member

I want to dress like the band, The Band. Anyone seein' it?
    [​IMG]

15. grundletaint

grundletaint Well-Known Member

i'm about to get rid of half of my closet and start rebuilding. this city's EXTREMELY casual and my closet's full of stuff that i rarely ever have an occasion to wear. sometimes even a nice black t-shirt and dark jeans feels overdressed.

out of all the things i have, i find myself wearing plain t-shirts, polos, and jeans 90% of the time. i'll probably get a good pair of boots and a leather jacket for the (short) winter.

i've tried to force myself into slicker clothing and, honestly, it looks great but doesn't feel right at all.

16. berlin report

berlin report Well-Known Member

I now wear the same uniform pretty much every time and my next purchases will simply be fine tuning that look (unless I tire of it). I am still tempted to let go of all my clothes and get 4 identical grey suits + 10 white shirts + 2 pairs of shoes + 10 ties but I think I'll pass. I only wear one pair of blue denim and it doesn't get much wear. Black/grey/white jeans or pants for me. I'll probably get another pair of baggy black pants at some point.

Didn't Einstein do that? He said he had more important things to think about than what to wear. I like the idea but I don't think I can ever do it. Clothes are all I'm supposed to think about.[​IMG]

17. Crane's

Crane's Well-Known Member

A classier casual look. Dry denim versus junk jeans, button down shirts versus plain T's, boots versus raggedy moldy gym shoes along with a few good leather jackets and of course my bowlers and other fur felt hats.

Now when I do work construction then it's back to the real work clothes.

18. BOF

BOF Well-Known Member

I've really only started caring what I was wearing in the past couple of years (since finding raw denim).
    Primary influences:
    1. High School: strict dress code - still can hardly bear to wear shorts
    2. Enterprise: I worked for the rent-a-car company for a couple of years where I was required to wear dress pants/shirt/tie every day. I had a very strong reaction against this...

Now, ideally I'm wearing some manner of raw denim with a casual button-down shirt, and trying to come up with shoes that are comfortable but still look good (very difficult, I've found, when you have wide feet) or boots, which I need something better than what I have currently, though funds are lacking.

Dressing up? Nicer button-down with raw denim and dress shoes. Not much variation.

19. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

I am making the best of things I find at the thrift store. The forum has definitely helped me keep my eyes open for better pieces than I'd have looked for a year ago. I am still struggling with fit, and silhouette, but I hope that with time I'll look less like a 16 year old teenager and more my age.

robbie

20. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Well-Known Member

^^sounds good. A very high % of my stuff is thrift aswell, or used on ebay... i
    f you just know what you want, and can tell good stuff from the bad stuff, and got some patience, thrift store stuff really shouldnt limit how you look imo.