1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Where is your style going?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Superb0bo, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Well-Known Member

I realised yesterday that all items I wore were 2-4 years old (j crew chambray shirt, Duffer red chambray pants, ll bean dirty bucks). And I still thought it looked fresh. Only thing Ive added recently are two pairs of good khakis, but thats far from a change style wise, more of and update.

2. aeglus

aeglus Well-Known Member

I feel like I have two distinct wardrobes now. One of them of them is on the preppy side and the other is a little more avant garde. I'm not sure how important overall cohesion is, but I feel like I can put together good fits in either camp.

guess that's how I am in a way except I know I look way better on one side compared to the other

however, summer (luckily?) limits me to one side

3. guest

guest Well-Known Member

i dressed like an amjack yesterday. pumas, funky true religion jeans and stripey shirt. i wore those things like 4 years ago. dunno how i got there agen.

4. reedobandito

reedobandito Well-Known Member

I'm with you, branss. Classic, quality pieces that fit like a dream are what I want filling my closet.

I'm studying abroad in Europe for about half a year come next Spring, and have already begun to consider what I wish to pack for the trip (only the bare essentials). As I'm making this list, I'm beginning to realize exactly what I want, aesthetically. I think the whole desert island scenario is a great to zero in on one's personal aesthetic, and also a great way to find one's "outfit."

Eh?

5. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

Buying more expensive t-shirts. That's about it for right now.

6. the shah

the shah Well-Known Member

7. parc

parc Well-Known Member

I guess if I had to give a term to what I'm looking for my style to become it would have to be a mixture of an average GQ young-man style ( l/s button-downs in a myriad of colors with rolled-up sleeves, chinos, denim, bracelets, boots) and average college student (graphic and no-graphics tees, only Vans authentic sneakers and not caps). I like both of these styles and enjoy choosing which one I'll wake-up and put-on. I want my wardrobe to have clothes I can wear all year round.

8. mellow

mellow Well-Known Member

I'm slowly being sucked into the Damir Doma universe. Rick Owens also has some appeal for me, but there isn't enough color [​IMG]

9. crimpologist

crimpologist Well-Known Member

^ I admire that kind of style (RO, Doma, etc.), I've ordered the odd item here and there but never really wore or kept them. The thing with those types of brand/styles is I find the looks are just a bit severe for whatever setting I'm in. The same goes for even the few Robert Geller items I have. If I'm not at work (in chinos and collared shirts), I'm usually out with my wife and/or son where "plain"/active clothes are more ideal. So that edgier style is something I can only admire looking at, while my own style has gotten more "classic dad" I guess.

10. reedobandito

Actually, as a revision of my previous statement, I've been following high fashion runways and products more closely, and am really loving some of the wilder statement pieces. I'm especially a fan of fair isle/navajo/geometric printing seen in brands like White Mountaineering, Sunny Sports, Junya Watanabe, Ervell, Sidian/Ersatz/Vanes, and so on. I think that if one were to pursue an otherwise classic aesthetic (chinos, dark denims, white OCBD's), a single statement piece from one of these brands would be really cool. Unfortunately, I don't have the funds at the moment to actually attempt such sartorial daring IRL [​IMG] Anyone else sweating these crazy patterns as much as me? edit: Found a blog that matches almost perfectly with what I've been looking for, and in the process I've discovered that it's obscure Japanese fashion that I'm really in love with. The site: http://jamesrmcnally.com/

11. Makeshift_Robot

Makeshift_Robot Well-Known Member

I think that if one were to pursue an otherwise classic aesthetic (chinos, dark denims, white OCBD's), a single statement piece from one of these brands would be really cool. Unfortunately, I don't have the funds at the moment to actually attempt such sartorial daring IRL [​IMG]

Anyone else sweating these crazy patterns as much as me?

1) Even with 'a single statement piece' that's going to be a boring ass wardrobe. Also what's with the OCBD fetish here? Button down collars are so finicky, oxford cloth is so hot in the summer. 'Dark denims' are still going to look played sooner rather than later.
    2) Yes.
    2)(cont.) Liberty of London, Kehinde Wiley for Puma, and remaindered sari scarves or Indian wedding shawls (from those 'far off land' type stores with celtic necklaces and shit), are all good ways to get at that shit for cheap.

12. reedobandito

1) Even with 'a single statement piece' that's going to be a boring ass wardrobe. Also what's with the OCBD fetish here? Button down collars are so finicky, oxford cloth is so hot in the summer. 'Dark denims' are still going to look played sooner rather than later.
    2) Yes.
    2)(cont.) Liberty of London, Kehinde Wiley for Puma, and remaindered sari scarves or Indian wedding shawls (from those 'far off land' type stores with celtic necklaces and shit), are all good ways to get at that shit for cheap.

Really like the KW for Puma collab, especially the crane prints.

I understand how the wardrobe could get a bit stale, but I think finding a personally suitable "uniform" is kind of nice. And to 99.95% of outside observers, they would probably floored with even one piece from the aforementioned brands.

Shit, looks like I need to plan a shopping trip to Japan.

13. Eason

Eason Well-Known Member

Ridiculously expensive m2m/bespoke shirts/suits and lusciously indulgent shoes.

14. hermes man

hermes man Well-Known Member

i am more towards fashionable lux n elegant...

15. Zeemon

Zeemon Well-Known Member

moar belgian stuff
    and lately i've been buying medium-priced clothes at deep discount, wear it a little, and then i sell it again

16. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Well-Known Member

Actually, as a revision of my previous statement, I've been following high fashion runways and products more closely, and am really loving some of the wilder statement pieces. I'm especially a fan of fair isle/navajo/geometric printing seen in brands like White Mountaineering, Sunny Sports, Junya Watanabe, Ervell, Sidian/Ersatz/Vanes, and so on. I think that if one were to pursue an otherwise classic aesthetic (chinos, dark denims, white OCBD's), a single statement piece from one of these brands would be really cool. Unfortunately, I don't have the funds at the moment to actually attempt such sartorial daring IRL [​IMG]

Anyone else sweating these crazy patterns as much as me?

edit: Found a blog that matches almost perfectly with what I've been looking for, and in the process I've discovered that it's obscure Japanese fashion that I'm really in love with. The site: http://jamesrmcnally.com/

This guy has a great eye and has been my favorite blog for a while now... [​IMG]

17. reedobandito

tween, I spent like 5 hours straight the other night going through the back logs of his site. It's my new favorite fashion blog too, I wonder where he finds all of this stuff.

Incidentally, where can I buy all this stuff?

18. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Well-Known Member

tween, I spent like 5 hours straight the other night going through the back logs of his site. It's my new favorite fashion blog too, I wonder where he finds all of this stuff. Incidentally, where can I buy all this stuff?
    You can email him and ask him where its for sale, but it's just stuff he finds crawling all over the place, but from what I can tell it's typically small Japanese vendors or Rakuten. Note that not everything he posts up is also for sale at the moment. He puts up a lot of stuff from the Nepenthes blog as well, and seems to like Beams. The full seasonal collections he posts all seem to be from this one particular Japanese fashion site that I thought I had bookmarked but can't seem to find anymore on my work computer. But really just email him and ask him about anything, he's super helpful. I asked if he was a proxy for any of this stuff but he's actually in the US

19. reedobandito

Cool, I'll do that. Have you ever tried Yahoo Japan auctions on Japanese eBay for these things? I'm having a hard time navigating the sites, as my Google translator is a bit ineffective...

20. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

For as much flak as I'm sure to receive for this, I am becoming more and more intrigued by the classic 1950-60's WASPy sort of look. I've been all for muted neutrals over the last few years, but I would love to work in some bright red "fuck off" chinos with a lime green tie with little sailboats on it and a camel blazer. Oddest fashion inspiration of all has just occurred to me. Andy Bernard. [​IMG] I guess this is that super-traditional Polo-ish type of look, but to hell with it. I think it can look sharp.