1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Where is best for White Tie (the dress code) hire in the UK (North West especially)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JammieDodger, Sep 20, 2016.

1. JammieDodger

JammieDodger Well-Known Member

Hi,

I have to wear white tie to my PhD defence. I will be buying a shirt, MTM, shoes and the bow-tie myself. However, that still lives me with the trousers, evening tailcoat and white waistcoat. The main thing is that it fits well - I was wondering if there are any recommendations in the UK for rentals that will measure me correctly etc. ? Moreover, I assume places like Moss Bros are awful - is this correct and is there anywhere else I should avoid? If it is in the North West, or a chain, then that would help immensely. Thank you!

2. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Well-Known Member

Jaysus! What's your doctorate in? Ballroom dancing or orchestra conducting?

1 person likes this.
  3. JammieDodger

JammieDodger Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have it this way if I could! White tie looks nice, but, I think it lessens the seriousness of something that should be a discussion about the work. Anyway, my PhD is in The Netherlands, at a University which is overly worried about appearing too young - so White Tie is in the defence regulations. In comparison, older universities do not have such regulations.

So, there you go! It's not even held in the evening...

p.s. the PhD is in logic-based Artificial Intelligence, I can't think of something less suitable for formal wear.