1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Where/how did you meet your significant other?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Ambulance Chaser, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

I'm going through a dry spell (okay, it's more like a drought) right now, and I began to wonder where you all met your current significant other. Any suggestions on tried-and-true places to meet women would be welcome. I don't want to name a specific figure for my age -- let's just say I am too old for the bar scene and too young for the mail-order bride.

2. VMan

VMan Well-Known Member

I'm single now, but most all the girls I have hooked up with/dated/semi-went out with have all been from parties, or get-togethers.

3. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

I...and too young for the mail-order bride.
    If you want, I can screen them for you before packaging...

4. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Well-Known Member

I met my significant other on my sixth birthday at the local park. I realized that all the other kids were just there for free cake, and the parents were just there to watch the kids. I was completely alone, at my own party, surrounded by people...

There is only one person in my world, and it is me.

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

I met my significant other on my sixth birthday at the local park. I realized that all the other kids were just there for free cake, and the parents were just there to watch the kids. I was completely alone, at my own party, surrounded by people...

There is only one person in my world, and it is me.

Is this the reason, for your sadness?

6. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

7. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Well-Known Member

Au contraire! I am the happiest man in the world. I'm so happy that I could burst. If happiness was pennies, I'd be Bill Gates...

(sob)

8. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

Geez, I must be getting lightheaded here, but I'd swear you're getting in touch with your inner Vaclav.

On topic: Several married friends of mine met their SO at their friends' weddings. They're already vetted to some degree that way.

Regards,
    Huntsman

9. aarghh

aarghh Well-Known Member

I met my significant other on a high-altitude trek in the Indian Himalayas. Interestingly, we were one of the three pairings formed on that trek.

Not sure if that is germane to your situation, but you never know...

10. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

globe, when you tell people you met your SO online, do they smirk or look down on you? seems like there is a stigma associated with online matchmaking

11. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

globe, when you tell people you met your SO online, do they smirk or look down on you? seems like there is a stigma associated with online matchmaking

I haven't noticed it. I have a wife with a great deal of common interests with me, who is smart and extremly well educated, and who has proven to be a great companion for the past 7 years. so, if people wish to smirk, let them. I had a whole bunch of sex when I was younger, and went out with a whole lot women who I didn't particularly like, and now I have a SO who is, as corney as it sounds, my best friend. I am happy that there was something that brought us together.

the internet isn't a perfect tool - I met 50 or 100 women on the internet that I wasn't interested in a long term relationship in, but I met the one right one there, too.

JDate, by the way.

12. tiger02

tiger02 Well-Known Member

on the web
    Ditto, although it recently ended on amicable terms after a good year. She didn't join StyleForum until we split [​IMG]

If anyone had smirked, I'd'a sicced Chuck Norris on 'em. No one was willing to take the chance. Seriously though, there's no stigma, no one cared. The only thing that surprised people was the site:

HotorNot.com

13. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

i fall under the 'at work' category.

but if you want advice on meeting women, the best i can give you is to get out of what you normally do and try new stuff, join some new clubs, things like that, and then you inadvertendly stumble across people that share at least one interest with you.

Beats randomly gambling on hotness in a loud bar full of sleazy competition.

14. operationexpat

operationexpat Well-Known Member

As Tom said, HotOrNot.com. People like to smirk, but you can't argue with results. I think the only reason it worked so well is because we met online 9 months before we met in person. All that correspondance built a strong base before we saw each other face to face. Despite a fantastic experience the first time around, I don't think I'll be frequenting dating sites again. Too much work [​IMG]

Mutual friends would seem to be the best bet.

Sara

15. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Well-Known Member

I was a lucky guy, I met my wife as a kid at age 13 at our country club on swim team....we began as friends, then in HS dated for a short time, midway through college hooked back up, and married a couple of years later. Having a grand old time after 20 somethng wonderful years. I guess what they say about true love is real, if you let go, and life revolves back to the past then it was meant to be.

16. Bradford

Bradford Well-Known Member

My wife and I were both serving on the executive board of the Arizona Young Republican League... I was representing the Tucson club and she was representing one of the Phoenix clubs...

Of course it then turned out that we had both attended small colleges in Michigan during the same 4-year timespan and had very similar backgrounds and interests.

We didn't even meet until we were both 30.

17. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

On topic: Several married friends of mine met their SO at their friends' weddings. They're already vetted to some degree that way.
    And that would be me. My best friend was a groomsmen in the wedding of a mutual friend so I traveled to the wedding with him. One of the bridesmaids kept telling me I had to meet her sister, that she would be the punchgirl at the reception. So at the reception I scoped out the punchgirl--very cute. It turns out the bridesmaid's sister, however, had been switched to cake. She was cute, too. So I married her. I remind her every now and then how cute the punchgirl was... [​IMG]

18. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

And that would be me. My best friend was a groomsmen in the wedding of a mutual friend so I traveled to the wedding with him. One of the bridesmaids kept telling me I had to meet her sister, that she would be the punchgirl at the reception. So at the reception I scoped out the punchgirl--very cute. It turns out the bridesmaid's sister, however, had been switched to cake. She was cute, too. So I married her. I remind her every now and then how cute the punchgirl was... [​IMG]

That's great [​IMG] I rue the fact that I really don't have friends who are going to be getting married, and hence don't have access to that route. It seems so...civilized.

Regards,
    Huntsman

19. rdawson808

rdawson808 Well-Known Member

Ditto,

and a ditto for me as well. we met through the salon.com personals. and it turned out we had been living a couple miles from one another.

do we get smirks or nasty comments--I don't think so, but things could be happening behind my back.

AC, you're in DC right? I have always heard about the great odds in DC for straight guys but never believed it myself after having such bad luck myself with women there. Try one of the on-line dating places, or speed-dating. You'll meet tons that way. I think my problem was being outside of the city (why waste their time with me commuting when they could date someone a metro ride away).

bob

20. kennethpollock

kennethpollock Well-Known Member

My parents bought a small clothing store from a widow in Rome, Georgia (who was not interested in trying to run the store after the death of her husband). A few months later, the widow invited them, newly moved to Rome, over for Thanksgiving dinner. They asked if they could bring their son, a highly promising and handsome young Atlanta attorney, who was planning to come visit them. She said: "Sure, and he can meet my daughter who is coming home from college". It will be 40 years this Thanksgiving.