• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where and What hotel in NYC

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
I don't know what became of the Riga Royal, but when it was a JW Marriott, it was one of the nicest hotels I'd ever stayed at. I got an awesome suite upgrade for like $300/night.
Whatever that hotel has become would be worth looking into. We booked it a couple of times for friends in town. The corner suites on the upper floors were fantastic and had great views of central park.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
The Waldorf Astoria has a beautiful lobby, but the rooms are a little lackluster.
My dad calls them "dingy." The towers rooms are ok. He usually stays at the Sherry Netherland.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbjorn
My dad calls them "dingy." The towers rooms are ok. He usually stays at the Sherry Netherland.
That is an apt descriptor. I had a suite last time I stayed there and it was an embarrassment. Never again. OP: what are your approx travel dates? That will have a big impact on price.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just did a search, it's now called the The London NYC. I don't know how well it survived the transition to it's new name. As I recall ... all rooms are 500+ square feet.

But I'll say this, I recall the rooms being well appointed but somewhat modern. It's not the "old world" style of the St. Regis.

If you are taking a woman with you ... you might consider having several arrangements of flowers delivered to your room. Or if you are being economical ... pick up several bunches and buy a couple of inexpensive glass vases and go to work.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Just did a search, it's now called the The London NYC. I don't know how well it survived the transition to it's new name. As I recall ... all rooms are 500+ square feet.

But I'll say this, I recall the rooms being well appointed but somewhat modern. It's not the "old world" style of the St. Regis.

If you are taking a woman with you ... you might consider having several arrangements of flowers delivered to your room. Or if you are being economical ... pick up several bunches and buy a couple of inexpensive glass vases and go to work.

I've stayed at the London a couple of times and had a fine experience. It's a great value for sure and the location's not bad.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coolpapaboze
I've stayed at the London a couple of times and had a fine experience. It's a great value for sure and the location's not bad.

Best hotel in the city for the price / space you get.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We are looking at the 21st-27th of June to be there.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coolpapaboze

Originally Posted by whnay.
Best hotel in the city for the price / space you get.

Glad to know others still think highly of it ... we always thought it was a surperb place at a great bargain. And again ... the corner suites on the upper floors are outstanding. I'm thinking that the room we used to book was 4601.

Reaction score
The Regency.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kruze
hampton inn soho [really]

The one st the entrance to the Holland Tunnel with the three hour traffic jam in front every afternoon? Bloody hell.

lefty

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
The one st the entrance to the Holland Tunnel with the three hour traffic jam in front every afternoon? Bloody hell. lefty
If you're going that route, the Hilton Garden Inn Tribeca is awesome - and across the street from my favorite bar.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you're going that route you might as well stay home.

lefty

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meh - when I'm in NY I spend as little time as possible in my hotel room. Not worth the $350-750/night for a place to sleep, IMO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics