1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

When is the Next Brooks Brothers Sale?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAMOR, May 12, 2011.

1. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Well-Known Member

I live in Rhode Island

2. macjedi

macjedi Well-Known Member

Hi Mr Engineer! I got this jacket a few weeks ago … still deciding if I'm going to keep it. I'm in Southern California, so out here it would make a decent 3-4 season jacket. The jacket isn't super lightweight. Its got a dense weave … sorta hopsacky, but not very see through. It's 3/8 lined, but the sleeve lining feels heavy and will wear warm on a hot day. I like it a lot, but there are a few things that irk me: Having a ticket pocket is weird. The cut is nice, but the lining and weight makes it less of a true summer jacket … anything over 75°F - 80°F, I think will feel way too hot. The smoke mother of plastic buttons look good, but I'd consider replacing them if I was going to wear it in fall/winter. Layering shouldn't be a problem for cooler weather. All in all it's a nice SC, but I'm not sure it's something I need in my wardrobe. Cheers!

3. Mr Engineer

I currently don't own a navy blue SC and this is the only one I can find withen my $500 dollar budget(open to recommendations). Do you wear this SC with a standard tie width or a skinny tie(less than 3") tie based on the lapels of this SC?

4. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

Get an epaulet one for a tiny bit more

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  5. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

Regent coats should look fine with a 3.5" tie or less.

6. macjedi

macjedi Well-Known Member

All my ties are 3" to 3.25" and IMO work well with the Regent and Fitz. I wouldn't go any wider and don't like the look of anything skinnier.

I second Stevent's recommendation. Epaulet is a great option. The Caine Navy Hopsack would be my choice if fit me off the rack. It's got a nice material. Great lightweight 3/8 lining and excellent construction. Great QPR for $650. I would have gone made to order on this, but I really wanted a super lightweight blazer. I ended up pulling the trigger on the Howard Yount Summer Blazer ($549). It's definitely more of a summer blazer and the VBC fabric is awesome. I wore it yesterday and it was in the 80's and I didn't break a sweat. Highly recommended, but definitely not for year around in RI.

+1. I ordered a stock Napoli Hopsack, very nice, but had to return cause it was a bit big and a bit heavier material than I was looking for. I'll have to MTO next time, but instead of the Napoli I'm going to do a Caine and in a more "fun" fabric. EP is great!

7. TM79

TM79 Well-Known Member

There won't ever be such a thing as a proper year round jacket in RI unless you want to sweat your ass off in July or shiver in January.

Epaulet/Southwick is indeed better than this Regent and only $150 higher - a well spent $150.

I also own a navy hopsack and it's simply too hot for summer months.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  8. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

Any one know when the next online clearance deduction sale will be?

9. fathergll

fathergll Well-Known Member

10. JubeiSpiegel

Says made in Italy, what Italian maker does the shoes for BB?

11. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

I feel like the only MC wear worth buying at Brooks Brothers now are pants and select pair of shoes (Peal, which are overpriced compared to regular C&J and AS)

Shirts, especially button downs, aren't worth it: get Kamakura instead.
    Suits and SC's - go to Suit Supply for slimmer,darted ones
    Ties, Belts, Socks: meh, better deals elsewhere

1 person likes this.
  12. Mr Engineer

I agree with you 100%. I plan on ordering a couple Kamakura shirts soon.They have great quality spread collar and cutaway collars at a solid price.Brooks brother cutaway shirts are highly priced.

Suit Supply is my go to SC and suit website.Great quality for the price and super fast delivery. I can't find a place that has more variety in SC and suits then Suit Supply

The rest I always get elsewhere

13. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

I am curious why you think Peal are overpriced compared to regular C&J. The ones I have seen are the same price as C&J benchgrade, yet most seem to think the Peals made by C&J fall somewhere in between bench grade and hand grade.

14. katch

katch Well-Known Member

15. JubeiSpiegel

^
    They reduce clearance items down to 60% for a couple of days, at least they did last year.

I'm looking at some chinos currently in their clearance section, a little too high still at $88...

16. musicmax

musicmax Well-Known Member

I have a Kamakura slim fit in a pattern and the darts in the back are a bit odd, especially for wearing without a jacket. Great quality but just wanted to point that out. May be less of an issue on a white OCBD.

17. katch

katch Well-Known Member

Is there any schedule to the 60% reduction?

18. 518aata

518aata Well-Known Member

It seems to happen more frequently on Saturdays.

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  19. katch

katch Well-Known Member

Thank you.

20. Winston S.

Winston S. Well-Known Member

This might be of interest in our discussions regarding Supima cotton.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The fact that it does not say made from imported fabric might mean the fabric was made in the US then transported to Malaysia for construction.

Last edited: May 30, 2013