1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

When is the best time to shop for a suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by brlfvr, Feb 5, 2008.

1. brlfvr

brlfvr Well-Known Member

Hey there, first post. Love the site. So I realize that don't pay retail is the montra here. So besides ebay which still scares the bejesus out of me to purchase a suit, what stores and what time of year is the best to shop for men's suits. Here's the trickier part. I'm a thin 36R. So my selection is painfully limited. I live in Los Angeles and always check the Rack when I go and have been to the big Macy's sale both at Bev. Center and warehouse sale in Santa Monica. I think I've seen two 36R's. As much as it's considered hipper to do the two button suit. I think that the three is more versatile. I like two button for the no tie look or hipster thin tie monochromatic thing, but I need this suit to be both hip and a bit more formal. The other problem is that I'd like to keep it at around $750. Any suggestions? Any reputable ebayers would be welcome. I've been trying to get caught up with those existing threads.

2. Omar1223

Omar1223 Well-Known Member

if you are willing to spend that much and live in LA, you should check out one of the other forum members site. his username is Get Smart and he is really nice and helpful.

You can get a MTM suit from him in a variety of different styles and colors.

http://www.thickasthievesla.com/

3. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Well-Known Member

4. brlfvr

brlfvr Well-Known Member

You couldn't resist could you? Oh the wit.

5. knowsnothin

knowsnothin Well-Known Member

I would check the Rack by South Coast Plaza ASAP. Nordies' mens sale just ended and the stuff that didn't sell is either there already, or will be there soon.

6. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

7. spertia

spertia Well-Known Member

Whenever you want or need one.

8. philosophe

philosophe Well-Known Member

When you don't really need one and have time to look around.

9. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

3 pm

Beat me to it!

The reason 3 p.m. is the best time is that it's after lunch, and you will have swelled to your largest proportions. No point buying a suit that's a size too small and then have all that pain and trouble of breaking it in.

10. needshoehelp

needshoehelp Well-Known Member

When you don't really need one and have time to look around.

+1

11. brlfvr

brlfvr Well-Known Member

All good points (3pm, Mondays, when you don't really need one). I guess I needed to be more specific (my fault). I don't think my weight will be flexuating enough to make that much of a difference, especially in shoulder and chest, since those are the most important points, right?. Called the southcoast nordies rack and they have 1 suit 36r with flat front and vents (yikes). So I've been checking out the thickasthieves site. Looks interesting. Do you know if they have a walk in shop sort of thing. I like the mod look but don't want to lean that way to much. I'm sending an email off to them. Any members own a suit from them?

12. TheIdler

TheIdler Well-Known Member

Mondays
    Only in New York, and only on your days off.

13. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

All good points (3pm, Mondays, when you don't really need one). I guess I needed to be more specific (my fault). I don't think my weight will be flexuating enough to make that much of a difference, especially in shoulder and chest, since those are the most important points, right?. Called the southcoast nordies rack and they have 1 suit 36r with flat front and vents (yikes). So I've been checking out the thickasthieves site. Looks interesting. Do you know if they have a walk in shop sort of thing. I like the mod look but don't want to lean that way to much. I'm sending an email off to them. Any members own a suit from them?

Don't know why, but I feel like being helpful.

1. 36R is a very difficult to find size in a mens store. Don't waste your time. If you want something specific, you can it MTM from a variety of places for your $750 or so budget.

2. Why do you hate vents?

3. The thickastheives owner posts here regularly (GetSmart). There is also at least one thread on the main forum and one thread on the streetwear forum which gets into many, many details of the suits, fits, options, prices, ordering etc.

Given your dimensions, price, aversion to ebay etc, TaT is probably your best resource both in terms of fit, quality and price to value.

14. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

When you are at your fattest. More margin of safety.

15. Bradford

Bradford Well-Known Member

if you are willing to spend that much and live in LA, you should check out one of the other forum members site. his username is Get Smart and he is really nice and helpful.

You can get a MTM suit from him in a variety of different styles and colors.

http://www.thickasthievesla.com/

I'm going to echo the Thick as Thieves recommendation, especially since you're in the area and could likely do a personal visit. Check out the website, because it seems to fit exactly what you're seeking, hip but still classic and extremely well fitted as it will be made for you.

16. brlfvr

brlfvr Well-Known Member

Don't know why, but I feel like being helpful.

1. 36R is a very difficult to find size in a mens store. Don't waste your time. If you want something specific, you can it MTM from a variety of places for your $750 or so budget.

2. Why do you hate vents?

3. The thickastheives owner posts here regularly (GetSmart). There is also at least one thread on the main forum and one thread on the streetwear forum which gets into many, many details of the suits, fits, options, prices, ordering etc.

Given your dimensions, price, aversion to ebay etc, TaT is probably your best resource both in terms of fit, quality and price to value.

No the yikes was in response to they only had one suit with flat front and vents, which is what I want. Everything else was pleated or ventless. For anybody interested they had a flat front ventless armani 2 button in grey, but I didn't bother to ask how much. Thanks for being in the helpfull mood edmorel I appreciate it.

17. a tailor

a tailor Well-Known Member

the best time is when you dont need it.
    wait till the last minute and you settle.

18. Gsin

Gsin Active Member

Get MTM and/or go to Thick as Thieves. You're going to waste a lot of time looking for 36R's that don't exist. Paying a little extra is worth it to save time!

19. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Well-Known Member

when you can afford to buy a suit.

20. sammy

sammy Well-Known Member

the best time is when you dont need it.
    wait till the last minute and you settle.

+1